WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Velet drive to TH400 questions

HotRodGreg

Reaction score
My 21' Howard had a mild 468 and a velvet drive in it and I'm getting finished up on a 496 for it right now. I figure with close to 600 HP I should ditch the velvet drive before I blow it up. I got a TH400 for it and my buddy at the Jerrys Trans said a lot of guys just run welded up torque converters but I've also seen other set ups (that arnt cheap) that have some type of rubber or something. I assume to eliminate shock load when switching through the gears? Will a welded up converter work if I'm careful? Also my current forward most engine mount comes off the velvet drive ears. do I need to build a mid plate or can I make something between the stringers and mount the TH400 at the tailshaft? or should I do both? Lastly my velvet drive has a small heat exchanger type cooler that picks up lake water from about mid hull. Is this sufficient for the TH400 being run as a cruiser boat?

Thanks for the info guys!

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Wasup Greg? Long time. Can't answer your questions regarding the TC but lemme know if the 468 coming out is a good candidate for my buddies hurt jet boat motor replacement.

CC

If no answers here, try over at Perfomance Boat (dot) com, v-drive section there is much more active.

waterhorse

Reaction score
http://www.performanceboats.com/parts-sale/79657-art-carr-th-400-spline-drive-pressure-plate.html

You need a marine spline drive like this and a steel (clutch type) flywheel to bolt it to. I have this set up in my cruiser for the last 23 years and it works great.
Good luck and let us know how it works.
Greg

I think you will need a plate between engine and trans. Talk to Art Carr transmissions regarding the cooler.
I'm not finding much info on Art Carr marine spline drives so you can also contact Teague marine (661) 295-7000 for more info. They should have what you need.

BUSTI

Reaction score
You need several things done for your conversion. Install a manual valve body in the trans. I prefer the reverse shift pattern (PRN123). Then a 3/8 mid plate in between the trans and motor as your mid mount. Tail mount for the trans. The only tribe adapters I have ever used is like the one illustrated by warterhorse. Buy the HD drive plate and spline adapter. You will also need to remove and add extra long dowels in the block. The HD drive plate and spline adapter will come cut for your mid plate thickness. You can call Wilkes, GT Performance, Teague, Bergeron and Rex for the parts. Any of those guys can help

vdcruiser

Reaction score
I have been using a welded up torque converter for years with no problems, I also have a 3/8" midplate and a mount at the end of the trans.