WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Velvet drive rebuild

BUSTI

Reaction score
Well had a great day on the river Saturday just cruising and floating. When the wife went to get the trailer I made a couple of hot passes. When I was cruising back I think the tyranny started to slip. It would rev high and not get on plane. Turned it off and floated for a couple of minutes then it seamed to get better.

I just finished the motor last season and did not do anything to the tranny. It's a mild 502 build and made 573 HP. I have heard that the Velvet drive is good to 550HP.

I would like to rebuild the tranny so I can at least know where I am with its service.

Who in the SoCal area builds the toughest Velvet drive?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I have had a couple done at community trans in Bellflower just west of Woodruff on Artesia. he may ask you to run for some parts but he knows these things and I have had no issues with his work at all.

BUSTI

Reaction score
I have had a couple done at community trans in Bellflower just west of Woodruff on Artesia. he may ask you to run for some parts but he knows these things and I have had no issues with his work at all.

Thanks. That is not far at all. Ill go talk to them and see what they say.

Curious, what type of power did you run through them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I have run the Velvet drive in my Sanger since 96' my dad ran one behind a Boss 429 in his flat for years when i was a kid. My BBC is probably 500hp turns 6200, the issue I had was I broke the flex plate, was pulling hard out of a turn and it went, the motor reved up past 7,000 and it smoked the pump in the vdrive, still worked just had a 2500 rpm stall. These things will take a ton of HP and torque the clutches inside are thick, they don't like rpm's, if you are running up past 7,000 all the time you might look a different direction.

Attachments

• 5.2.JPG
    5.2.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 97

BUSTI

Reaction score
I have run the Velvet drive in my Sanger since 96' my dad ran one behind a Boss 429 in his flat for years when i was a kid. My BBC is probably 500hp turns 6200, the issue I had was I broke the flex plate, was pulling hard out of a turn and it went, the motor reved up past 7,000 and it smoked the pump in the vdrive, still worked just had a 2500 rpm stall. These things will take a ton of HP and torque the clutches inside are thick, they don't like rpm's, if you are running up past 7,000 all the time you might look a different direction.

I just spoke to these guys.

http://hubermarine.com/

Got the run down and they said no problem with my horse power and RPM limit. They said send them a serial number and Dyno sheet and they can build anything. Just a pain to ship out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk