WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Verizon to T-Mobile opinion.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
Who uses T-Mobile? After they spent $billions upgrading their network and with the future acquisition of Sprint they sound like a powerhouse to be reckoned with.

Currently I pay $222 a month for Verizon service which is three lines unlimited and two phones financing at $32 each. So $64 for the phones and $158 for the service. I can honestly say I haven't been stoked with their coverage at our house or work.

I just received an add from T-Mobile who is offering to to pay off the phones balances ($600) and give me three lines unlimited everything for $90 a month (autopay, Military discount). So they will give us $600 and give us the phones which will work on their network and drop my just coverage bill by $68 a month.

Sounds like a no brainer as long as the service is awesome now.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I switched from verizon 2 years ago to metro. Yeah i know ..metro. But they run on the t-mobile network so no probs. .i was paying close to $300 a month for 3 phones. Shit got old fast. Went to metro. Gave me free phones and pay $60 a month. Nothing more! I get awesome coverage pretty much everywhere. Only place it goes dead is the south side of havasu. Glad i finally got rid of verizon after getting hosed for years!

chvynhra

Reaction score
I just switched from tmobile to Verizon. Service with tmobile sucked in rural areas. I'm paying $5 less with one phone with Verizon. $110 a month unlimited with an S9.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I’ve had various friends and family leave Verizon for ‘greener pastures’, and it was miserable talking to them as their service sucked. Sprint, ATT, T-Mobile. My Dad just switched back from Sprint as reception was terrible. Phone and Data. I could surf 10 sites and he’d still be trying to load google.com home page.

I’ve been with Verizon since 2002. I’ll never leave.

To be honest, get the service that’s best for where you live and travel. Ask those in your neighborhood as well as those who travel where you do. I go all over the US and Verizon has been consistently good everywhere, except inside certain buildings.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Up here (northeast of Sacramento, in the mountains) Verizon still has the best coverage, and has since it was Pac Bell Cellular, then Air Air Touch, etc. Younger son and his wife have tried them all I think, and will come back to Verizon when they can.
I really think that is the only way to judge the basic value...the coverage. If another system works well where you live and travel then it is certainly worth a look. This cell deal started for us as a 3 watt analog bag phone that was 25 cents per minute and that is what it was...a phone...my how things have changed eh? We just upgraded to a S9 for the wife and a S9+ for me and went back to the unlimited plan, the wife gets a pretty good discount because her company is all Verizon.
It would be nice if you could do a 60 day trial run to see if the network suits your needs before completely walking away. All that $$ and the incentives from T Mobil sounds very nice, but I am sure there is a, "Stick it to you clause" in there should you decide their service doesn't meet your needs...

Universal Elements

Reaction score
All my friends that go with me to the river and have T-Mobile have no coverage. The only place they have somewhat coverage is actually in Lake Havasu city. They’re always using my Verizon phone.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
If you do a lot of traveling in rural areas, and would actually like to have signal, stick with Verizon.
Verizon may not be perfect but it sure beats the hell out of Sprint.

cakemoto

Reaction score
T moble sucks. I have been a customer for over 10 years... Specially if you frequent Havasu a lot don’t even get it because your phone will not work in Havasu or Canada or anywhere for that fact.We have never switch carriers because my wife always says it’s the cheapest.I know the one day I do need to call 911 or use my phone for emergency it’s not gonna work

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
I own two houses in remote areas. My house near Salome is deep fringe for cellular. Verizon is the only game (I also have
a work phone on ATT that is nearly useless in places where the Verizon phone works). I'm totally dependent on cellular for
communications and data. Don't get me started on satellite since you can't do VOIP via satellite.

Been with Verizon for many years. Periodically we go in and ask them to review the account and they always find a way to
reduce cost or give us a discount. But it won't happen unless you ask.

toto

Reaction score
I work in the industry and T-Mobile does not have the coverage that Verizon has at all especially in rural area "Mountain's, Desert, Lake's" etc. If the merger does go through which I don't think it will you are still a couple years out. Verizon isn t cheap but as several others have said you get what you pay for

farmo83

Reaction score
One of my best friends is a higher up with T mobile. He got me a great deal to switch and I saved a chunk of change. First time I went to the lake I had 0 service. I use my spotify account to run the boat radio so after a few trips with 0 music I went back to verizon. It ended up being like 40 more a month and I'll happily pay that to have service( and tunes) at the lake.

WildWilly

Reaction score
So straight scoop....I've been working on the TMO network for 6 years now. They've come a long way in 6 years and with their budget and plans, they are going to go a lot further in the next couple. even aside from the Sprint deal which big picture, doesn't help them on the network as much as people would think. But, the caveat, TMO is focused on densification of their POP count, which is people covered per square mile, so that means high population dense areas. Thats where they make their base money, win the battles for speed, service etc. Rural is on the backburner. in the last year we've just started upgrading old rural 2G sites, while I just started walking sites for 5G in areas like LA and Vegas. Its just the name of the game.

That being said, Although I've worked on TMO networks for 6 years and carry a TMO phone, my personal phone is Verizon. yea its more expensive but there is a reason. They've soaked up all the rural small player networks to have that contiguous signal in rural areas along with the speeds in in the big cities. That is what you pay for.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I was with Verizon but saved 1200 a year switching to t mobile. T mobile works good at home. It’s not as fast as verizon but that is ok for me. The river well it doesn’t work unless your in the city. I have a work phone that is att that I take with me to the river for emergencies lol

The money saved means more boating days

Yellowboat

Reaction score
It really depends where you are. Where I am, in the cites every thing works great in the rural parts only AT&T has data. Not normally a big deal, unless you are using gps. I have one rural client I am at 5-6 times a year. They are in the hills and I can get great reception at one part, walk 10' and have nothing.
I have tmoble I pay $120 for 3 lines unlimited every thing and 12 gigs per line of hot spot( instant invoicing is a great thing) with out that it would be $90. Checking speed with friends. Every one is very close, and there is no consistant winner. Funny thing, we can go too the same restaurant, on different days and a differnt person does not have coverage.

Which leads me too believe it' over worked cell towers and not your plan.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I have all 3 services...
Verizon is useless outside the USA. T mobile is best for outside of the USA. ATT works outside USA but is super expensive.
Verizon/ATT best coverage outside of metro areas. T mobile bad outside of Metros
Then you have to get into data use stuff like do you want free netflix streaming etc...

My guess is you will ultimately get within 10 bucks or so at the end of it all regardless of service. All 3 company's employ and army analysts to make sure of that. They do it for a living, where you just do it once in a while to try to beat them at their game, which you never will....

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I have to stick with AT&T for where we travel
-No service drop or data drop from LA to the river ANYWHERE
-Fast 4G LTE at the river
-Works pretty much everywhere on the river or havasu (except 1 spot in the gorge)
-Works in Oatman (best service i've ever had!)
-Works in Dove Springs, Cal City, etc etc.

Seems like out of my group everyone wants to use my phone cause there verizon or Sprint has no service 1/2 the time. It is expensive though, that's for sure

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
We switched all of our phone from Verizon to T Mobile because someone thought we would save money. T Mobile was so bad we switched again about 6 months later. I kept Verizon and have had the same coverage everywhere. We switched to Sprint and it is better but still not as good as Verizon and is about half of what we were paying. I will not switch from Verizon as it is far and away better as far as coverage goes. It is also the only phone that works almost everywhere on the river.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Our first smart phones were Tmobile and we were so excited to use em on the cross country road trip. Fucking things hardly worked unless near a metropolitan area. Didn't work anywhere on lake Havasu and barely in middle of Havi-town. Pissed was an understatement. Suffered thru the 2 yr contract and couldn't wait to go back to my PacBell/Airtouch/Verizon service that had always worked.
I know at&t works well in Havasu so we considered them as well but ultimately stuck with VZ. Monthly was within a few dollars of each other.
Hey Paul! Can you hear me now?:D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Had tmoble. Hated it. Zero service at the river.

I'm with Verizon now and love it.

Wife and kids have tmoble cause its cheap and streams music for free.

Did anyone mention you get what you pay for?

:p

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
my son did the swap from verzion to T mobile and he got F'd on the buy out took forever to get it straightened out.

TCHB

Reaction score
Verizon has a deal going on right now. 4 phones at $45 each a month unlimited calling and data.