WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

VIDEO: TCM GN77 Parker Enduro 336 Unlimited V-Drive

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

Reaction score
Finally got some time to get this video rendered and uploaded! Starts with some back and forth action between Gary H and I, keep watching for a lap at faster pace, then we got the prop letting go on a go pro too!

Text from the upcoming press release is below for some more in depth commentary....

Enjoy!
John Teague

Propeller Failure Thwarts Overall Win for Team AMSOIL / Teague Custom Marine GN77

2013 marked a pivotal year in the recent history of the Parker Enduro, a marathon race between boats of all types below 24 feet in length covering a total of 336 miles. Held on the piece of water between California and Arizona known as the Parker Strip, the race?s heritage reaches back into the 1960?s when it was a battle for most overall mileage over 9 hours of run time. This year saw Teague Custom Marine step up to title sponsor the inaugural effort by RiverDavesPlace.com as the head promoter, along with a new race director, Friday qualifying, and revised handicap procedures. However, the biggest impact came from doubling the lap length to 12 miles by returning to the Bluewater to Pirate?s Den course from the 1970?s Enduros. All entrants would face many challenges acclimating to the new rules.

Teague Custom Marine and AMSOIL brought the venerable GN77 to race in Division VI for unlimited V-Drive supremacy. Powered by a carbureted TCM 1335 Quad Rotor, GN77 is a 20 foot Schiada-built race specific hull with multiple Grand National Division I National and World Championships to its credit. Changes to the boat for this year included an external belt driven Barnes oil pump and twin Odyssey 925 batteries double insulated and on a switch, should one break internally. Bob and John Teague once again teamed up to drive the beast over 336 miles. Testing began on Thursday and the team tried a variety of two and three blade propellers, including props procured by various means from V-Drive competitors. Bob and John agreed the best setup was either a two blade ski race propeller or the same three blade they ran at the 2012 Enduro.

Qualifying took place Friday. It was held in a Moto GP format where all teams run on a full closed course to simulate race conditions. Each boat had to record at least one full race pace lap, by which the rules committee would review the handicaps for each division. Bob and John both took the opportunity to preview the new long course, with John recording the hot lap with the two blade propeller. They set the fastest V-Drive lap of the day, but when John came in covered in gear lube and metal shavings; they realized the setup would not last. The two blade prop was fast and very stable at speed, but it was creating severe harmonics that generated unsustainable bearing heat in the V-Drive. The team worked late into the night pulling the V-Drive and fully disassembling both it and the spare to see what they had to work with. A combination of good parts was assembled and installed back into the boat for the race the next day.

The 336 mile main event was held Saturday. A half hour before the race, John took the boat on the official half lap warm up. Even running a modest 5500 RPM, the V-Drive began to puke oil. There was no time to change the V-Drive; the team would have to take their chances whatever was creating the excessive windage would not deteriorate and grenade. Gear lube is the lifeblood of any gear drive system and they had to come up with a 5 minute solution to keep the oil in the V-Drive system. An empty grease gun cartridge was shoved over the end of the V-Drive circulation reservoir, secured with a hose clamp, and a hole poked in the cap. They dumped some extra gear lube in as the boat left the trailer and said their prayers.

John Teague started the race, lined up next to Justified #17 and Team Bloodshot #420, both big power twin turbo 21 Schiadas. After a lap of running in 2nd place and checking the V-Drive and engine vitals, he stepped it up to pass team Justified and create about a half lap gap over the first 112 miles. As John was coming into pit, GN711, a Division II V-Drive, spun and ejected the driver in the Bluewater turn. John avoided the wreck and pitted as planned. The course went to a full red flag for a modified lemans restart and because GN77 was first back to the line after the incident, the rest of the field was allowed to make up their gap, just like in auto racing. At first it looked like the head competitor for the overall win, Mod Outboard #34 driven by Greg Foster, would make up over 4 minutes on the caution lap, and Team AMSOIL was not pleased. Bob Teague got into the boat for the second leg and after the rest of the field restarted, GN77 took their 10 minute pit, and he was on his way.

Bob put on an endurance driving clinic, running 100 miles on the 12 mile course with lap differentials on plus/minus one second. The boat looked and sounded great, and John suited up, preparing to do battle with #7, #373, and #34 for the overall win. On Bob?s last lap, disaster struck. The propeller broke and threw a blade at 10,000 RPM, violently Z bending the propshaft, knocking the strut loose, and shearing various bolts throughout the boat with extreme vibration. Bob nursed the wounded race boat to state dock on the Arizona side of the river, where the team met him with the trailer and deemed the boat damaged beyond field repair.

Team AMSOIL GN77 would like to congratulate Team OCM #7 on their overall win. The race was a very successful effort by Dave Johnson of River Dave?s Place and an almost entirely new race production staff. Next year will surely be nothing but more refined and more popular amongst both professional and grassroots race team efforts after such a positive inaugural result.

Last edited by a moderator:

dekman

Dekman
Reaction score
Your video's are really good John!

So what's with the windage issue....I though your reservoir took care of that? Also, what prop were you using...3 or 2 blade and who made it?

"but it was creating severe harmonics that generated unsustainable bearing heat in the V-Drive"

How did you detect that? I run a Menkins 2 blade (11.2 x 17.3) but only spin it with ~ 800hp NA. My v-drive did throw oil at first, but now with my "Teague reservoir"...no oil leaks. And now that I'm venturing above 85mph, the boat actually feels more stable. (may need a blower...:) )

You guys are over due for a win....maybe next year! Thanks, Rob

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
What was your speed on the straights? Looks like 110?

Can't wait for 2014 .... The Church is coming back and we will roll with you and your Pop again ! :thumbup:

Hammer

Reaction score
You guys were running HARD ! Great video , thanks for sharing the vid and your write up ! Really gives you the feel of what it's like racing .

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Yeah, what was your rpm and speed on the straights. Hate that sound when a prop ear comes off, heard it too many times. How much damage did it do? Was that a welded or billet prop?

Last edited:

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

Reaction score
Yeah, what was your rpm and speed on the straights. Hate that sound when a prop ear comes off, heard it too many times. How much damage did it do? Was that a welded or billet prop?

Welded prop. It knocked the strut loose and prezeled the propshaft. Propshaft bent so hard it tagged the boat where it goes through the bottom. All fixable but the boat has to come completely apart... again.

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

Reaction score
What was your speed on the straights? Looks like 110?

Can't wait for 2014 .... The Church is coming back and we will roll with you and your Pop again ! :thumbup:

Pace was right about 104-105... I did see 110 a few times. The sweeping right handers had to be taken at 96-98 at most... I pushed into the one at Riverland at 106 once and almost took a little swim.... the boat likes to understeer turning right...

JT

msmeads

Reaction score
nice write up and great video. In your write up you note your boat is a 20 foot schiada. I did not realize this, I thought the boat was a palm that you customized. So is the bottom a schiada and the deck a palm?

GN77 is a 20 foot Schiada-built race specific hull with multiple Grand National Division I National and World Championships to its credit.

Good luck this year, I always enjoy watching your video's.