WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Vinegar Cake

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I got to talking with my Wacky sister and food from our past Thanksgivings was brought up.
I remember mom used to make Mrs Wisbeskis Vinegar cake. Sometimes today called Wacky Cake.
My sister still had the simple recipe.

In the early 1950's there was a cooking show on TV in Los Angeles hosted by Stan Chambers. Sponsored by Helms bakeries and that is a thread in itself.
Chambers later became a popular newsman in the 70's. Helms was renowned for their bakery trucks that cruised the neighborhood of Los Angeles with outstanding hot bakery goods.

Our warbride neighbor Mrs Wisbeski appeared on the show and made this cake. A big deal back then.
I remember my mom once saying the vinegar was to sour the milk.
Damfino why you'd want to sour it but I remember that.

cups all-purpose flour
    cups sugar
  • 1⁄3
    cup cocoa
    teaspoons baking soda
    teaspoon salt
    tablespoons white distilled vinegar
  • 1⁄2
    cup canola oil
    cup water
  • 1 cup milk
    tablespoon vanilla
    • Preheat oven to 350* F.
    • Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Pour into an ungreased 13x9 inch pan.
    • Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until done. Cool completely; frost as desired.

• My mom made a simple whipped meringue frosting.
My sister is retired.
Once she worked for a company but was laid off after they decided there's no future for a home and office computer and sold the technology to a Silicon Valley Firm.

She then went to work for another company, but was laid off when they felt their was no market for home television and personal video recording devices and sold the Betamax and VHS technology to Sony. Sony kept the Betamax and flipped the VHS.

Sister moved to Seattle and one day at lunch she mentioned these guys she knew with a coffee shop that was about to expand. She mortaged her home, looted her savings and retirement plan and invested in Starbucks.
She kinda became the 5th Beatle of the coffee industry.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
It is to sour the milk. Vinegar pies and cakes were used by poor people that couldn't afford things like buttermilk or fresh fruit juices. Most of the recipes trace their roots to the great depression.

Not surprised at all that the warbride neighbor had one of those recipes, coming out of war time restricted europe.