WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Vintage Mercury OB Help

hed4rvr

Reaction score
New to the Outboard community. Took a risk and purchased an Suntracker toon with an old Mercury Thunderbolt 1100 hangin off the back. The motor supposedly runs great with good compression but the carbs need to be gone through. Any good recommendations in either Phoenix or Havi that has good knowledge about the older Mercury Thunderbolts? I've been burned so many times that it's discouraging to have anyone work on your shit anymore...

Thanks in advance

hallett21

Reaction score
X2 Hot laps marine

Joe has always taken good care of me

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
"I've been burned so many times, that it's discouraging to have anyone work on your shit". Sure there are a number of 'questionable boat mechanics' in every town, but have you really been treated badly ?(ripped off) If so, were you 'looking for a deal', and you didn't do so well ? This is an old motor, some know them, inside and out . Others may want to take on the job, but have little 'hands on knowledge' . Any mechanic can 'read the book and produce results', only those who 'know the product' will achieve what you probably expect (if the motor is in good condition). You have put yourself in a position of "asking for vintage expertise", don't expect the knowledge to come 'cheaply' . I would ALWAYS water test your boat/motor after service, those old carb motors need to be 'adjusted for the boat' . There are a number of great Merc technicians who are able to 'make your boat run well', please don't piss them off before you spend a dime .

hed4rvr

Reaction score
ouch...

wasn't planning on throwing any of my past service nightmare mechanics under the bus...was just looking for a good reference on a product that I was not familiar with.

geesh

are they this grouchy on PB too?

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I also said 'please' pointing out that older units often have 'personality traits' that some mechanics just don't understand . Buying an older boat at a discounted price does not mean you will also get 'service at a discounted price', in fact service by a knowledgeable person may actually cost more . I offered the tip about 'water testing' for idle and shift adjustments, because I did work at a shop that did fix many of the Mercs that had been around town and 'overcharged for no repairs' until they got to us . Sorry you were hurt . You are welcome anyway ....

RetroBoats

Reaction score
New to the Outboard community. Took a risk and purchased an Suntracker toon with an old Mercury Thunderbolt 1100 hangin off the back. The motor supposedly runs great with good compression but the carbs need to be gone through. Any good recommendations in either Phoenix or Havi that has good knowledge about the older Mercury Thunderbolts? I've been burned so many times that it's discouraging to have anyone work on your shit anymore...

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE

I can help you. I am I not in the biz, just a hobby. I am in Phoenix.

hed4rvr

Reaction score

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE

I can help you. I am I not in the biz, just a hobby. I am in Phoenix.

PM sent.

Hmmmmm-that wasn't half as painful as that "other" post made it out to be...guess the forums do work and my faith is restored-lol