WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Vintage Pics From The Los Angeles Area

TCHB

Reaction score
I am now 58 years old and grew up in this era. I would ride my bike all day long and if I had a flat I would fix it myself at the local gas station. They would give me a hot patch to use. It was a great time to grow up. Dad went to work everyday and mom stayed home. All of us kids played all day outside. We would organize our own baseball games, football and what ever else was fun. No parents had to do it for us. Great days.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
A time when white was right. :p

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
it looks like traffic and venice beach haven't changed much :p

there are some spots that i had a bit of trouble pinpointing. i would like to know where in ontario the all states picnic was held.

McRib

Reaction score
it looks like traffic and venice beach haven't changed much :p

there are some spots that i had a bit of trouble pinpointing. i would like to know where in ontario the all states picnic was held.

It's the center divide on Euclid in DT Ontario north off Holt

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I am now 58 years old and grew up in this era. I would ride my bike all day long and if I had a flat I would fix it myself at the local gas station. They would give me a hot patch to use. It was a great time to grow up. Dad went to work everyday and mom stayed home. All of us kids played all day outside. We would organize our own baseball games, football and what ever else was fun. No parents had to do it for us. Great days.

:cool I think we lived on the same street ;):D

TCHB

Reaction score

My father was 100% American Indian just getting out of world war 11. He never complained about anything and worked his ass off everyday. In 29 years never one day off for anything.

McRib

Reaction score
My father was 100% American Indian just getting out of world war 11. He never complained about anything and worked his ass off everyday. In 29 years never one day off for anything.

My family came from Spain and helped build dtla, the 5 fwy. My grandfather sat on the board that decided how many lanes the 5 should have been. They opted for 3 in both directions. My grandfather and his peeps pushed for 5 in each direction and were shot down fiercely. 70 yrs later what are they doing now???? Yup. Expanding to 5 lanes from dt to orange county. My grand ma used to tell me stories about riding the red car from Dtla to rancho cucamonga for a nickle. Life was so much simpler back then and no one was in a hurry. Compton was a destination and a sign that you were doing well in life.

C-2

Reaction score
Bitchen, I was just walking the streets of downtown LA on Monday, thru Pershing Square, on the subway and thru our old digs at the Roosevelt Building, which is now lofts. F*in guard would not let me in :swear

Nice find, love local history and all the pics :thumbsup

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Very cool. I'd totally give up all the electronics and crap that we have now to have the times be like that and be raising my kids in those times. I wouldn't even be so upset that I'd have to lose my XD's as I'd just be forced to carry a 1911. :D

westair

Reaction score
Great pics!:thumbsup ... I remember a lot of those old stores and buildings, lived in Hac Heights (La Puente), parents had a beach house in Balboa .... the Helms trucks, Thriftymart (the big T), White Front .... I remember when the Doors played at that little Carousel theater in West Covina .... could go on and on!!

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Great pics. I remember a lot of those places.

bigriver48

Aloha mr hand
Reaction score
Eastland mall in west Covina has changed , but they still have the big lit up Christmas tree.thanks for the pics.

Moody

Reaction score
The Bikinis are definitely better these days!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Still is.. :D

My family came from Spain and helped build dtla, the 5 fwy. My grandfather sat on the board that decided how many lanes the 5 should have been. They opted for 3 in both directions. My grandfather and his peeps pushed for 5 in each direction and were shot down fiercely. 70 yrs later what are they doing now???? Yup. Expanding to 5 lanes from dt to orange county. My grand ma used to tell me stories about riding the red car from Dtla to rancho cucamonga for a nickle. Life was so much simpler back then and no one was in a hurry. Compton was a destination and a sign that you were doing well in life.

My mom grew up in compton and always tells me how nice it was etc.. LOL

RD

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Thank you Chili; what a treat.
So many memories came flooding back with some of those Lakewood and Long Beach pics...it was truly a simpler time.
Southern California was a fun place to grow up. I am glad that I was fortunate enough to enjoy it.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Cool pictures. I am glad to see some from my hometown "in the IE"

waterhorse

Reaction score
Nice pics Chili, I spent a lot of summers in El Monte. Good times for sure.
Greg

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Wow, I worked at the Chevron station across from the Topanga market... That was at the intersection of "old" and "new" canyon roads.... Bought many a lunch package, (lunch meat/bread etc etc), from that store in the early-mid 60s... AND, the Rancho Park Drug store pic.... I'm pretty sure that was at Prosser ave and Pico bl. My Aunt and Uncle lived 3 houses down from the alley behind that store.... Roller skated around that corner more times than I can count.....

Ray

harlanorrin

Reaction score
Still is.. :D

My mom grew up in compton and always tells me how nice it was etc.. LOL

RD
My grandfather would ride the red car from Pasadena to Upland to court my grandmother. My mother took the red car to the beach from Pasadena. I may have dated your mom in Comton. I would jog throu Compton home after baseball practice. We used to drag race on the 605 on the graded dirt, then on the pavement before the freeway was opened. We could hear Carrol Speedway and Lions after it opened. When I got a car I would go to LBMS to the boat races. 6 years later I would be racing there.
HARLAN ORRIN
l