WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Virtue signaling CEO's

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Why do so many companies feel the need to interject their political opinions?? Below is part of the letter I received from the CEO of betterment... which is a pretty huge robo-advisory investing platform. I put in bold the WTF moments.......

"Like so many Americans, I am haunted and angered by the killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery—three of the latest of many lives that have been taken because they were Black. These and other recent demonstrations of police violence, racism, and inequality in America provide fresh evidence that we have a long way to go on the road to equality.

Betterment will not stand for the unequal treatment of people of color in our company, in our communities, or in our country. We will advocate for our Black colleagues, friends, and fellow citizens and work harder to build a nation that's just for all, where we all can pursue happiness, without fear, oppression, or unequal treatment.

We all are accountable for the state of our country, and it's our responsibility to acknowledge and address pervasive racism. My ask, particularly of those of us who are white and exist in a place of privilege: Pay attention to the significant events going on now. Educate yourself and others. Show your support for equality. Take action. "

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
DTV keeps throwing up BLM support screens as well. Black screens.
Multiple channels.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
That’s about enough to piss me off and close my accounts there.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
How about this guy? Shot in the head cause he is a cop!
IMG_0375.JPG

Ladsm

Reaction score
I got an email telling me to find someone of color and ask them to tell me how much harder their life is, Are you serious?? My life hasnt been a bowl of cherries either but I pull on my work boots everyday and work my butt off to get in a better place. I have nobody to blame but myself and COVID-19 for keeping me up at night

rrrr

Reaction score
Here's one from American Airlines CEO Doug Parker that isn't pandering, is relevant, and genuine. I will be flying on AA in the future, because if the CEO is running the company with the same empathy and compassion for others, it's good to support them.

RodnJen

Reaction score
It's new territory for sure. They've likely tested it and are taking a calculated risk.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Just bought my wife a Peleton, and received an email yesterday explaining how they are donating 500k to BLM.

Icky

Reaction score
seems like unnecessary risk from a business standpoint
I agree, why unnecessarily make a statement for your business that has nothing to do with it. Same thing with politics, and religion keep all those conversations away from business.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Here's one from American Airlines CEO Doug Parker that isn't pandering, is relevant, and genuine. I will be flying on AA in the future, because if the CEO is running the company with the same empathy and compassion for others, it's good to support them.

THAT is a great statement.

rrrr

Reaction score
I agree, why unnecessarily make a statement for your business that has nothing to do with it. Same thing with politics, and religion keep all those conversations away from business.

Because many businesses are being called out for failing to comment.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Just bought my wife a Peleton, and received an email yesterday explaining how they are donating 500k to BLM.

Did you send it back, spray painted BLM on it and a copy of their stupidity stapled to the seat?

oldschool

Reaction score
They don’t want to get wished off into the cornfield.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Lets see...say nothing and ignore anyone "calling you out" and stay stable...

Or open your cock holster and take a risk that you will loose business by virtue signalling that the main stream will forget in a month?

Seems like a no brainer to me.....

evantwheeler

Reaction score

Because this day in age, silence is considered support. I do not agree with it, as I agree that religion, politics, etc. should be kept out of business. If a business decides to publicize their views or support of groups you don't agree with, stop spending money their. The most powerful vote we have as individuals is with our dollars.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
needless to say, closed / closing my accounts

and now due to the other thread on here about ben & jerrys, I will never enjoy my favorite ice cream again :(

I understand when some companies want to release a general statement... but when you say things like "they were killed because they were black." "end white supremacy"........ you have lost all credibility, and I'm sure a lot of business that goes with it. This is madness...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Because many businesses are being called out for failing to comment.

Yep.. As @DWC said yesterday.. the epitome of bullying. I dont feel bad for corporations though, but people are doing it to each other.

Reactions: DWC

Hypnautic

Reaction score
I got an email telling me to find someone of color and ask them to tell me how much harder their life is, Are you serious?? My life hasnt been a bowl of cherries either but I pull on my work boots everyday and work my butt off to get in a better place. I have nobody to blame but myself and COVID-19 for keeping me up at night

I will go ask my neighbor (black) how much harder his life is when he returns from his two week vacation in Bali and before he leaves for a week to go visit family in Louisiana. Maybe that 7series on 22’s is making him feel like he’s been kept down.
He did not come from money. He came from good stock with parents that taught him hard work, education and drive to want more. He is a fireman/paramedic here in Henderson.
He’s told me he has friends that have been killed by gang violence or are locked up. But his Mama would break him off something fierce if he did shit like that, so he stayed on the right path.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I received the same email from Betterment, and immediately, literally dropped everything, withdrew my taxable savings account, and opened accounts to roll over my Roth and Regular IRAs to another company.

Unfortunately, my wife loves her Peloton so that isn't going away, but this was something easy and measurable.

Cdog

Reaction score
I unfollowed a bunch of shit on Facebook yesterday and left them with a “bye Felicia”.

airbnb sent a support of blm email yesterday. I sent back an email telling them they should donate graffiti removal supplies to all their bread & butter they collect from since the blm dirt bags defaced the properties airbnb pimps to make money off of.

then I unsubscribed from their bull shit.

Last edited:

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
Why do so many companies feel the need to interject their political opinions??
Because corporations ARE political.
Oligarchy
Form of Government
Oligarchy is a form of power structure in which power rests with a small number of people. These people may be distinguished by nobility, wealth, education, corporate, religious, political, or military control. Such states are often controlled by families who pass their influence from one generation to the next, but inheritance is not a necessary condition of oligarchy.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Wh
I received the same email from Betterment, and immediately, literally dropped everything, withdrew my taxable savings account, and opened accounts to roll over my Roth and Regular IRAs to another company.

Unfortunately, my wife loves her Peloton so that isn't going away, but this was something easy and measurable.

Where are you rolling your IRA’s to?

RodnJen

Reaction score
There are several things pushing it IMHO. Below is a reference to ESG and many corporate boards are evaluating their actions through the lense of ESG because investors are demanding it. Also many new age companies are viewed as mor3 social conscious and responsive. Examples like Google, Facebook, Tom’s (shoes), Nike, etc. are very popular for there positions on welfare and sustainability. There rhetoric may well be masking other indescretions but so what It’s a calculated risk and image strategy.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
There are several things pushing it IMHO. Below is a reference to ESG and many corporate boards are evaluating their actions through the lense of ESG because investors are demanding it. Also many new age companies are viewed as mor3 social conscious and responsive. Examples like Google, Facebook, Tom’s (shoes), Nike, etc. are very popular for there positions on welfare and sustainability. There rhetoric may well be masking other indescretions but so what It’s a calculated risk and image strategy.

Socially Conscious Investors?

Just tuck your shit and get it over with.

There is going to be such a huge backlash from all this social justice warrior bullshit soon. You fucking dipshits think you are the majority because the media supports this bullshit....truth is you represent less than 5% of the actual population.

Go ahead and rise up, lets see what you idiots got.

gqchris

Reaction score
I unfollowed a bunch of shit on Facebook yesterday and left them with a “bye Felicia”.

airbnb sent at support of blm email yesterday and I sent the back an email telling them they should donate graffiti removal supplies to all their bread & butter the collect from since the blm dirt bags defaced the properties airbnb pimp to make money off of.

then I unsubscribed from their bull shit.

First the Covid emails, now the shitstorm of these BLM emails. Why do the PR departments feel this is so necessary?

RodnJen

Reaction score
Socially Conscious Investors?

Just tuck your shit and get it over with.

There is going to be such a huge backlash from all this social justice warrior bullshit soon. You fucking dipshits think you are the majority because the media supports this bullshit....truth is you represent less than 5% of the actual population.

Go ahead and rise up, lets see what you idiots got.

Not my idea. The investors are demanding it and corporate America is responding to it. What happened to “the customer is always right?”

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Unless I’m buying from PETA or the NRA, I prefer to deal with companies that abide by the adage “never discuss religion or politics in polite company”.

Shut the fuck up and trade my money for your product.

And for crissakes don’t send me emails signaling your virtue. I don’t care if it’s left or right.
Stop.
Just stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RodnJen

Reaction score
Funny. This is the only place where I can honestly be myself, talk shit & have fun online. It’s not like any of you broke asses are gonna buy real estate from me anyway.

Cheers bro’s!

Truth. 👍

PlanB

Reaction score
Watched Deadliest Catch on Discovery tonight (recorded yesterday) and the first few minutes was a black screen. Went to their FB page and black screen yesterday. Fuck them. One of my favorites channels, done with them.

DLC

Reaction score
So if your a black man that specializes in selling drugs on a street corner ( aka no education but excelled in street hustle ) in the projects, can you apply and get a $100,000.00 a year job With bennies?

Asking for my dealer.... ah I mean friend....

Icky

Reaction score
So if your a black man that specializes in selling drugs on a street corner ( aka no education but excelled in street hustle ) in the projects, can you apply and get a $100,000.00 a year job With bennies?

Asking for my dealer.... ah I mean friend....
If he joined an apprenticeship program(pick a trade) showed up on time, worked his ass off like all the other "steady" guys, had a good attitude, a willingness to learn a trade and was mechanically inclined then he would be making over that in 5 years

Reactions: DLC

rrrr

Reaction score
If he joined an apprenticeship program(pick a trade) showed up on time, worked his ass off like all the other "steady" guys, had a good attitude, a willingness to learn a trade and was mechanically inclined then he would be making over that in 5 years

Not to mention the fact his co-workers won't kill him.