WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Volvo Penta OBD Scan Tool/ Code Reader

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I saw a couple “how tos” on making a code reader for Mercury engines and an early Volvo, but can’t seam to find anything on a 2010 model Volvo Penta. Has anyone made one and can enlighten me on which wires to jump and which to plug a test light in to?

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Being a 2010 engine year your ECM most likely isn't of the MEFI design ECM which if the ECM was MEFI 1 - 4 then you'd be able to read codes via a few different methods like you'd seen online.

Unfortunately with the newer designed ECM's the old way of being able to read and clear codes doesn't work on the later model ECM's and about the only two ways to read within the ECM would be either with a marine scan tool and special adaptors to fit your VP engine model or have one of Volvo's informational type gauges that would display additional info other than just RPM, boat speed, etc. etc..

Does your ECM look something within the design below?
Volvo%20EGC%20ECM.jpg

2006-Up Volvo Penta EGC Support
Comprehensive diagnostic support for Volvo Penta's 2006 and
newer EGC fuel injection system is provided. 2009 catalyst
equipped California engines are fully supported. Perform a
wide variety of diagnostic tests, monitor critical engine
functions, read fault codes and view an extensive set of EFI system information.

https://www.rinda.com/marine/mtspec.htm

Outside of searching some marine shops (like Michigan Motorz) and EBay that may have some new or used scanners in stock for sale, The old design MerCruiser, Volvo Penta, and TechMate labeled scan tools are no longer in production and has been replaced by the TechMate Pro marine scan tool for handheld type scanners... See the following link for the Pro Scanner Tool: TechMate Pro Marine Scan Tool

There are some PC Software type scanner programs out there too like one seen in the following, https://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm#merctool

Bear in mind that anyone can buy direct from Rinda Technologies, https://www.michiganmotorz.com/ecmsmefi-diagnostic-tools-c-32_95.html

Tooned Up

Reaction score
Thank you for all the info! What you just said pretty much summed it all up for me... it’s gotta go to a shop.

Lavey 29

Reaction score
a winky blinky lite and or code reader does not work for MEFI 4 and up. Volvo used MEFI 4 from 2001 thru mid to late 2004. Then Volvo went to E controls since then and so did all other Marine OEMs engine manus except Mercruiser. Merc never used MEFI 4 except to replace MEFI 1 thru 3 because 1 thru 3 are NLA for the past 6 or 7 years and the MEFI 4 is the conversion to replace those.

sheeny

Reaction score
a winky blinky lite and or code reader does not work for MEFI 4 and up. Volvo used MEFI 4 from 2001 thru mid to late 2004. Then Volvo went to E controls since then and so did all other Marine OEMs engine manus except Mercruiser. Merc never used MEFI 4 except to replace MEFI 1 thru 3 because 1 thru 3 are NLA for the past 6 or 7 years and the MEFI 4 is the conversion to replace those.
what would you use for a 2005 volvo penta 5.7 i need to get engine hours.

Lavey 29

Reaction score
4 choices here ---- Vodia --- Diacom lastest techmate pro --- or Diacom latest software version or pay someone like me who scans a min of one marine engine per day.

vlad

Reaction score
I am looking for somebody in Sacramento area to scan my 2004 chaparral with 5.0gxi-e. Are you in nor-cal by chance?