WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Volvo vs Mercruiser

Riverryder

Reaction score
I have only owned boats with Mercs. But I found one with a Volvo 5.7 penta and a SX cobra outdrive.

Good?
Bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
The 5.7 is basically a small block chevy. Runs forever. Don’t know much of the cobra drive. Mine had the penta dual prop which is awesome

Andy B.

Reaction score
Volvo has the cone clutch in the drive goes into gear a lot smoother right? Someone on hear with real knowledge will chime in.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a Volvo 5.7 and sx drive. FIL has that package in his boat. No issues just goes.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Will be a few MPH slower than the same boat with a bravo, but they are fairly bulletproof.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Volvo parts (outdrives) are much more expensive if you break or hit something.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Volvo parts (outdrives) are much more expensive if you break or hit something.

Well I’m drive 5 hrs in the morning to get the boat. If all else’s fails I’ll do what u always doe shine it up and post it for sale and make a profit

Wedgy

Reaction score
Go for it! Safe Travels. Sounds like a nice Boat. Nothing wrong with a well maintained Cobra. The Volvo Sx Drive is based on the OMC Cobra Outdrive. In 1993, Volvo And OMC went into A Joint Venture to produce SX/Cobra Drives, using the Volvo designed Cone Clutch.
My original 1987 OMC Cobra Outdrive is still going strong at 31 years of service. Pictured at left in background along with a Ranger jet. Happy Boating!

Riverryder

Reaction score
So I purchased the boat!! Went to Yuma (lower river) sketchy with an outdrive. Towed a boat 10miles! Then new boat sucked up water in the motor!
Got to the marina. (Money man, guy I towed in called his mechanic) meet us at the dock. Pulled the hatch. Motor toke on water. Pulled plugs, attempted to start motor with no plugs to get water out, new plugs, and it ran great!

What do I have to look forward to with this? What should I do before next trip? Drain oil?

Last edited:

Wedgy

Reaction score
Congrats!
Oil change, fuel water separator filter, service the drive, inspect the bellows, all fuel line, and complete your tuneup. Inspect the trailer, especially the wheel bearing condition, and date code on your trailer tires. Make sure all required safety equipment is on board, including a current known good fire extinguisher. I personally always carry a marine radio.

Happy and Safe boating!

Riverryder

Reaction score
Pics or are they on another thread?

I’ll post some this week. It wasn’t what the pictures made it. But i got a good deal. And I had already drove 5 hours to get it. So I’m gonna get it waxed then probably sell it.