WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

VST questions

buck35

Reaction score
I have a 95 Merc 502 with this system. Repair, rebuild, or what's the deal to swap and replace? Mefi 1 .
Am I just screwed?

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
I replaced it on ours. Mounted an inline 10micron filter and an aeromotive fuel pump in the bilge, up to a regulator and then directly into the fuel rails at the back of the manifold. The fuel rail forms a circuit so there is a return line coming out the other side and back to the tank. All AN-fittings. Easy swap. No more mechanical lift pump, and no more VST. The electric pump is constantly pulling cool fuel from the bottom of the boat, so no vapor-lock. I linked our engine build in the Boat Restorations page, for our 240.

Lavey 29

Reaction score
Just some info - The gas tank is being filled from the return line that leads back to the tank. That return fuel is preheat as well and never stops returning. So the gas tank fuel is warm to a degree as well. Yes its a higher temp than when no return fuel to the gas tank. There is a huge misconception about the fuel never gets heated because you are returning back to the tank.. Yes this will help with vapor lock but so does the cool fuel system when they are properly maintained. Yes the VST was a bad design and yes you can use the weldon and or aeromotive or even I sell a fuel pump / and regulator with a custom bracket for a change over. Its all USA made and yes its has to be returned back to the gas tank as well. The least amount of issues in marine apps are wakeboats fuel systems because they all currently have fuel pumps in the gas tanks. All of them currently have this set up and some since the 90 s. We rarely ever see vapor lock from these set ups. Basically the same as autos with fuel pumps in the gas tank.

Last edited:

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Just some info - The gas tank is being filled from the return line that leads back to the tank. That return fuel is preheat as well and never stops returning. So the gas tank fuel is warm to a degree as well. Yes its a higher temp than when no return fuel to the gas tank. There is a huge misconception about the fuel never gets heated because you are returning back to the tank.. Yes this will help with vapor lock but so does the cool fuel system when they are properly maintained. Yes the VST was a bad design and yes you can use the weldon and or aeromotive or even I sell a fuel pump / and regulator with a custom bracket for a change over. Its all USA made as we and yes its has a return back to the tank as well. The least amount of issues in marine apps are wakeboats fuel systems because they all currently have fuel pumps in the gas tanks. All of them do currently and some since the 90 s. We rarely ever see vapor lock from these set ups. Basically the same as autos with fuel pumps in the gas tank.

So are their fuel tanks accessible? Most our in floor tanks would be major to replace a fuel pump...