WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wake Up Call At 50

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
My experience was similar to yours, heavy in the chest. I was 46. Angiogram showed major blockage, and a heart pump was installed. Stints wouldn't work for me, instead I was lucky enough to get a 6 way bypass. (I didn't even know that existed, f*ck me) I don't recommend it if you have a choice. I stopped cigarettes that Monday, 5½ years ago. Went from 290 to 255, still more to go.
Diet and exercise as stated, does wonders. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You got this.

Dan'l

DWC

Reaction score
Scary shit, glad you’re doing better @Racer56. Take care of yourself, we want to see that house get built!

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
I've quit smoking twice....
both times COLD turkey...

I did all the shit..patch, hypo, candy cig, anything and everything...

last cig, 1994, .....

just do it!!!!

ps, I still love the smell of a cigarette to this day...

timstoy

Reaction score
Did you get the COVID shots? My wife went to her Cardiologist and they have been swamped with patients with heart issues after getting the jab.

• Sad
Reactions: DWC

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Sorry to hear and glad you caught it in time. For the rest of you guys, go get a scan. Here in Denver it only costs about $90. I’ve posted this before.

Shows an image of your arteries and your Doc will tell you the amount of blockage, with averages compared to your age group. I do it every few years for piece of mind.
Calcium score?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I’ve been having really bad anxiety every time I feel any pain. Anxiety is real. I go full panic attack and can’t breathe. Did blood work. Went to the doctor. They can’t find anything. But he says I’m sleeping on my left arm and causing shoulder and chest pain. He ended up giving me a muscle relaxer to take at night. Instantly my anxiety and panic attacks go away. 🤷🏼‍♂️ My wife says I’m a hypochondriac. But the panic attacks are real. Idk. I was convinced I was dying a month ago.
You are not alone man. I find that when I don't drink it subsides substantially. Tried some different things to sleep better but they were giving me some ridiculous dreams.

1tonfun

Reaction score
Glad to hear you're okay, glad you made it out alive. My wife went on a health kick about 8 years ago, started eating healthy, more exercise, etc. She told me she would make what ever I wanted for dinner, I told her if its good for you its good for me, I'll eat what ever you put in front of me. Didn't make sense to have her fix me junk when she was eating healthy.

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Damn that's scary shit . I worry about that happening to me since it runs deep in the family . Glad you are ok after all that . Good luck on the life changes ....

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Glad to hear your doing well and making the necessary changes in your life. No job or career is worth losing your life over.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Quitting smoking is easy.
It’s only hard if you think it is.
Just toss em.
I did chantix but only for like a week then just stopped all of it.
At 60 I enjoy eating healthier now.
I love salads, I still grill my steaks and ribs and chicken and fish.
What I DONT do anymore is sit in front of 3 courses at a Mexican joint or any other restaurant and eat till I’m too full to breath.
I DONT eat fast food at all, ever.
And I LOVED my fast food!
Get well, 50 is too young.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Calcium score?
Yes. Went back and looked at my last results. Shows volume and Agatston Score for main arteries, left and right.

Then breaks it down to a calcium score and compares to gender specific age group. Results go to your Doc and he explains in plain English.

DLC

Reaction score
i hope you read this !

i have a HUGE belief that if you make it thru your 50’s ….. HEALTHY and mostly Happy !
you live a nice long 2nd half of life.

i know a lot of people THAT got cut down in their 50’s ….
cancer, heart attack and a bunch of other shit

I’m glad your open to a life change!

that’s the most difficult part - change!

get healthy!

turned 50 on 3/1 and I am 5'11" 167lbs and consider myself a healthy (minus beer belly), very active person. I smoke just under a pack a day and work 12-14 hour days running my construction company.

Driving home from work on Monday afternoon I started experiencing severe tightness/weight on my chest. Pulled over on the side of the road and relaxed waiting for it to subside. I got back on the Fwy and the pain returned and I drove myself to the Kaiser woodland hills emergency room. They did an EKG and checked my pulse blood oxygen and put me in the waiting room. After an hour in the waiting room I felt better and said fuck this waiting for four hours to see a doctor and I drove myself home. I felt okay, but around 10 I experienced another episode laying on the sofa.

Next day felt fine and went to work and chalked it up in my mind as a bad case acid reflux. Picked my daughter up from school and went to dinner together. At around 9:00 I started experiencing severe chest pain again and called my wife to get home. She immediately tried taking me to the hospital, but I resisted as I said I had a huge day at work the next day. I finally gave in after my two daughters and wife were yelling at me to go.

Another long line at the ER, but my wife told them that I was having a heart attack and they took me in. At this point I felt fine and the EKG and everything else checked out ok. They did a blood work up on me and the doctor told me they found enzymes in my blood indicating that I had a heart attack.

Wednesday I was transferred to the catheter lab at Kaiser Sunset hospital for a Angiogram. During the angiogram they found a 95% blockage in my left artery and a 80% blockage in my right artery. They put a stent in my left artery, but my arm started spasming and they couldn't stent my right.

Spent another night in the hospital and was put on a myriad of medications. Had a echo cardiogram on Thursday and the doctor said I am lucky that there is no visible damage to my heart, but I have to make a dramatic change to my lifestyle. I was discharged late yesterday afternoon and I am at home relaxing. I feel great, but I know that I have to take it easy until I get my second stent in a couple of weeks.

Major lifestyle change. First and foremost I quit smoking. I'm really struggling with this, but I'm trying nicotine pouches and I am resolved to not smoke again. Two, I need to eat a lot healthier. I love steak dinner's and eat like shit during the work week. My wife is going to start making me lunches during the week and I am going to start eating a lot more chicken, fish, fruit's and veggies. I will still enjoy the occasional red meat meal, but I'm going to have to make a big effort to eat heart healthy. Third, some how I need to reduce my stress level at work. Currently we have so much work under contract, that we are struggling to fulfill our obligations. My business partner has really stepped up to the plate and is insisting on hiring an assistant for me. I am going to try and cut my work week back to 5 days and 50 hour's, but it's completely against my work ethic. This will be a work in progress and I have to somehow change my mindset that my family is more important than work.

Moral of the story is that I never thought in a million years that I would have suffered a heart attack at age 50, that's for people in their 60's and 70's. Through out the past few days, I have had so much love and prayers sent my way from family, friends and customers that I realize that I took things for granted and I need to get my shit together and stick around for another 30+ years. I am going to do whatever it takes to watch my daughter's grow up and entertain grandchildren at the river!

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I have a group of friends in Havasu that are in their late 50's early 60's that mountain bike every Sunday morning at Sarah Park. I always get invited to go, but always kinda blew it off. Now I have a goal to get my shit together and start riding with them. It's funny how sometimes it takes a life experience to get you motivated to improve yourself.

DUN

Reaction score
I turned 50 on 3/1 and I am 5'11" 167lbs and consider myself a healthy (minus beer belly), very active person. I smoke just under a pack a day and work 12-14 hour days running my construction company.

Driving home from work on Monday afternoon I started experiencing severe tightness/weight on my chest. Pulled over on the side of the road and relaxed waiting for it to subside. I got back on the Fwy and the pain returned and I drove myself to the Kaiser woodland hills emergency room. They did an EKG and checked my pulse blood oxygen and put me in the waiting room. After an hour in the waiting room I felt better and said fuck this waiting for four hours to see a doctor and I drove myself home. I felt okay, but around 10 I experienced another episode laying on the sofa.

Next day felt fine and went to work and chalked it up in my mind as a bad case acid reflux. Picked my daughter up from school and went to dinner together. At around 9:00 I started experiencing severe chest pain again and called my wife to get home. She immediately tried taking me to the hospital, but I resisted as I said I had a huge day at work the next day. I finally gave in after my two daughters and wife were yelling at me to go.

Another long line at the ER, but my wife told them that I was having a heart attack and they took me in. At this point I felt fine and the EKG and everything else checked out ok. They did a blood work up on me and the doctor told me they found enzymes in my blood indicating that I had a heart attack.

Wednesday I was transferred to the catheter lab at Kaiser Sunset hospital for a Angiogram. During the angiogram they found a 95% blockage in my left artery and a 80% blockage in my right artery. They put a stent in my left artery, but my arm started spasming and they couldn't stent my right.

Spent another night in the hospital and was put on a myriad of medications. Had a echo cardiogram on Thursday and the doctor said I am lucky that there is no visible damage to my heart, but I have to make a dramatic change to my lifestyle. I was discharged late yesterday afternoon and I am at home relaxing. I feel great, but I know that I have to take it easy until I get my second stent in a couple of weeks.

Major lifestyle change. First and foremost I quit smoking. I'm really struggling with this, but I'm trying nicotine pouches and I am resolved to not smoke again. Two, I need to eat a lot healthier. I love steak dinner's and eat like shit during the work week. My wife is going to start making me lunches during the week and I am going to start eating a lot more chicken, fish, fruit's and veggies. I will still enjoy the occasional red meat meal, but I'm going to have to make a big effort to eat heart healthy. Third, some how I need to reduce my stress level at work. Currently we have so much work under contract, that we are struggling to fulfill our obligations. My business partner has really stepped up to the plate and is insisting on hiring an assistant for me. I am going to try and cut my work week back to 5 days and 50 hour's, but it's completely against my work ethic. This will be a work in progress and I have to somehow change my mindset that my family is more important than work.

Moral of the story is that I never thought in a million years that I would have suffered a heart attack at age 50, that's for people in their 60's and 70's. Through out the past few days, I have had so much love and prayers sent my way from family, friends and customers that I realize that I took things for granted and I need to get my shit together and stick around for another 30+ years. I am going to do whatever it takes to watch my daughter's grow up and entertain grandchildren at the river!
Terrifying.

Try Nicorette 4mg mini lozenge/mints

If they could get my old man to quit, they could get anyone to quit. I only smoked for about 12 years, but thats also how I kicked the habit after watching my dad do it.

You got plenty of other shit going on, but this may help with the smoking aspect..

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I have a group of friends in Havasu that are in their late 50's early 60's that mountain bike every Sunday morning at Sarah Park. I always get invited to go, but always kinda blew it off. Now I have a goal to get my shit together and start riding with them. It's funny how sometimes it takes a life experience to get you motivated to improve yourself.
I hope it doesn’t sound like preaching, but, cycling is the fountain of youth. I’m 61, 6’0” and 177 ish. I feel 30.
Cycling is fantastic cardio, and weight loss is a great side effect. You work your largest muscle groups, that use the most fuel, quads, hamstrings, pirifomis and psoas. Those large prime movers continue to consume calories even after the activity is over. It’s a no-impact sport that won’t hurt your ankles, back or knees.

Just go have fun, if you stick with it, all your health issues will self correct.

Don’t buy a cheap POS bike, you’ll hate it and won’t stick with it.

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Glad to hear your doing well and making the necessary changes in your life. No job or career is worth losing your life over.
Unbelievably true. Buried a friend and 20+Yr coworker a few months ago. Hardest working guy I’ve ever met. Just turned 50. Guy had every toy, amazing home in Dana Point, bad ass vacation home on the course in Palm Springs. Finally connected with the love of his life in his late 40’s. Got his dream job as a division president with a huge company. Literally had his dream life. Ignored heartburn/chest pains for a couple months and died in his sleep.
Agree with you @BUDMAN. No job is worth it. No lifestyle is worth it.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I hope it doesn’t sound like preaching, but, cycling is the fountain of youth. I’m 61, 6’0” and 177 ish. I feel 30.
Cycling is fantastic cardio, and weight loss is a great side effect. You work your largest muscle groups, that use the most fuel, quads, hamstrings, pirifomis and psoas. Those large prime movers continue to consume calories even after the activity is over. It’s a no-impact sport that won’t hurt your ankles, back or knees.

Just go have fun, if you stick with it, all you health issues will self correct.

Don’t buy a cheap POS bike, you’ll hate it and won’t stick with it.
And buy a helmet or else Steve will yell at you!!
Lol

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
And buy a helmet or else Steve will yell at you!!
Lol
60A6595F-9601-415F-AA39-47529BA65E42.jpeg

Hahaha 😂

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I turned 50 on 3/1 and I am 5'11" 167lbs and consider myself a healthy (minus beer belly), very active person. I smoke just under a pack a day and work 12-14 hour days running my construction company.

First and foremost glad your alright, secondly quit being a knucklehead and listen to your body. I get where your coming from though, I lost an appendix on my way to buy a truck out of state. I knew I needed to be seen but wasn't going to give up on the truck I had been chasing for years.

Anyways back on track, when it comes to myocardial infarctions (heart attack) there are a few that are the "game over" types. The fact that you mentioned the left coronary is big. The artery that is nick named the widow maker is the left anterior decending. If that plugs all other vessels in heart become blood starved. The enzyme that is released into the blood when there is a heart attack is called troponin, that is released when there is injury to cardiac tissue. If there is ever a time your in question about anything cardiac, just go for a quick blood draw, I Stat machines can process blood samples in 15 minutes now.

Either way, you dodged a bullet, glad is turned out well and only needed a stint amd not a bypass

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Glad to hear you're doing well. I understand the work delimma, I also run a Construction company. It's a difficult balance because there is always something to be done at work and phone calls/emails all day. I have an assistant that helps me, he does a great job, but it didn't free up my time. With his help I've taken on more work and both of us put in the long hours. But at least I can step out of work for my kids stuff or a short vacation. But never truly off the clock.