WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wake up Toto, we're in California!

rrrr

Reaction score
The power just went off. I checked with Oncor, and my entire zip code is down. Their website says "Due to the weather emergency, we are instituting rolling shutdowns of 15-45 minutes in certain areas. Your power will return as soon as possible."

Right now it's 6°. I'm worried about the pool equipment.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Welcome to the carbonless economy.

Fully 1/3 of the generation mix is natural gas. These cold snaps (what we used to call them) stress the natural gas transmission network. I received notice last week that our plant was being cut off from the natural gas system, any withdrawal of fuel was prohibited. Lucky we only run it in the summer time.

It gets so bad the gas companies can't maintain the pressure in the transmission pipelines. If the gas companies have to shut off the distribution networks it turns real bad real quick. That happened in Tucson about 10 years ago. Parts of town were without gas for almost a week. The gas company had to go to each meter to return areas to service.

It is easier to restrict large users (like power plants) than many smaller ones.

Pelon

Reaction score
2.5 million people without power!

1613400402991.png

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I just woke up dreaming I was drowning...the power is off again, and my CPAP is dead. My own snoring woke me up.

😖

No interruptions at my house yet but 2 other mechanics' power is out at home. Crossing my fingers that I've already hit my quota of power outages for a 12mo period

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Our power was rolling on and off since about 2am...scary shit when wind chill has it below zero outside, and your power goes off.

Even though it’s rolling, still need to prepare for the worst and have plenty of warm blankets. People can die in this cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Our power was rolling on and off since about 2am...scary shit when wind chill has it below zero outside, and your power goes off.

Even though it’s rolling, still need to prepare for the worst and have plenty of warm blankets. People can die in this cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have my generator ready to go on standby with 18hrs worth of gas and the diesel turbo heater with at least that worth of diesel. And if all that fails, I have plenty of firewood and a firplace

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
The power just went off. I checked with Oncor, and my entire zip code is down. Their website says "Due to the weather emergency, we are instituting rolling shutdowns of 15-45 minutes in certain areas. Your power will return as soon as possible."

Right now it's 6°. I'm worried about the pool equipment.
Buddy in North Dallas is having the same issues, but it looks like his pipes may have frozen. Pool looks like it’s almost frozen over. Going to be a clusterfuck over there

Wolskis

Reaction score
The worst times are outside battling frozen instruments praying you can un-thaw in time so the plant doesn't trip offline. Restarting at that point is a mother f'er. Our cold weather ops consists of inventory for temp heat trace, ex cords, both corded and cordless heat guns, tarps, rolls of foil backed insulation and a prayer. Here's good article.

nowski

Reaction score
The pic with the mutt was taken a week and a half ago, today he's wearing a parka and snow shoes...

Attachments

• Wichita Falls.jpg
    Wichita Falls.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Wichita Falls-2.jpg
    Wichita Falls-2.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 125
  • WFT.jpg
    WFT.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 123

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
And yet they want us to drive electric cars.🧐

Sherpa

Reaction score
my sister lives in Frisco, and her power went out for about 8 hours yesterday/last night.......... her house was like 55 inside.! yikes! I mentioned to her that there is one good reason for having an old house with a wall furnace: it doesn't require electricity! it runs all the time! if when we loose power I can fire up the camper generator and run an extension cord for the fridges....

--the snow looks awesome... Texas isn't prepared on a large scale-event for snow like this..... so it's kind of an off-day for working folk!

--Sherpa

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
my sister lives in Frisco, and her power went out for about 8 hours yesterday/last night.......... her house was like 55 inside.! yikes! I mentioned to her that there is one good reason for having an old house with a wall furnace: it doesn't require electricity! it runs all the time! if when we loose power I can fire up the camper generator and run an extension cord for the fridges....

--the snow looks awesome... Texas isn't prepared on a large scale-event for snow like this..... so it's kind of an off-day for working folk!

--Sherpa

What do you mean "kinda"?? With the way the weather is being reported, I'm gonna be off work all week!

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
My son, his wife and their 3 kids decided to go on a road trip with their trailer and his Ford 6.7 diesel pickup. Went to Auston from Thousand Oaks, CA. Then off to Ft Worth.
When the weather started to turn bad found an Air B&B on a 40 acre ranch and went there with the wife and kids. Now the power is out, the house is down to 62* and dripping 5* per hour and his diesel truck won't start because it is cold soaked and no block heater. Also the trailer which he set the heat to 50* so it won't freeze and it is running low on propane.

Baja 252

Reaction score
They started rolling blackouts in KC. Our power went out for an hour eariler today. Our electric company at LOTO sent me an alert, they might have to go to a rolling blackouts also. Not good with ice forming and the lake dropping, I need my ice eater running.
IMG_9180.PNG

lbhsbz

Reaction score
My son, his wife and their 3 kids decided to go on a road trip with their trailer and his Ford 6.7 diesel pickup. Went to Auston from Thousand Oaks, CA. Then off to Ft Worth.
When the weather started to turn bad found an Air B&B on a 40 acre ranch and went there with the wife and kids. Now the power is out, the house is down to 62* and dripping 5* per hour and his diesel truck won't start because it is cold soaked and no block heater. Also the trailer which he set the heat to 50* so it won't freeze and it is running low on propane.
Damn, that doesn't sound good.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score

thin the fuel and crank it till it starts, or a tarp it and a back of brickettes under the rig

Drew

Banned
Reaction score
So do any of these libtards know what’s going to happen to the power grid when more and more cars go electric. You know those zero emission cars 🙈. The stupidity is way more than I can handle. Not to mention they don’t pay the road tax we do in fuel for the roads. Future not looking good

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Blowing like a bitch from Utah to Victorville ☹ Traffic sucked all they way from Vegas 😫😫

Last edited:

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Not being from a cold climate, but aren't all of these people's pools fucked? Electricity goes out for a few hours, pumps stop, ice forms in lines.....or is it not a huge deal? My buddy's pool is half way to a skating rink.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
Not being from a cold climate, but aren't all of these people's pools fucked? Electricity goes out for a few hours, pumps stop, ice forms in lines.....or is it not a huge deal? My buddy's pool is half way to a skating rink.

It has to well below freezing to actually break pipes, turn the pump on, can't freeze if water is moving

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Update from my son, He got a taxi to take the wife and kids to a hotel with heat. He and the dog are staying at the ranch but got more propane so the trailer now has heat.
Tomorrow morning a diesel mechanic is coming to the ranch to get the truck thawed out and started. I told him once it is running just let it idle all night so it doesn't get cold soaked again.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
It has to well below freezing to actually break pipes, turn the pump on, can't freeze if water is moving
The power went out so there is no way to turn on the pump. It's been below freezing since last Wed.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
So do any of these libtards know what’s going to happen to the power grid when more and more cars go electric. You know those zero emission cars 🙈. The stupidity is way more than I can handle. Not to mention they don’t pay the road tax we do in fuel for the roads. Future not looking good
Burn more coal ! Coal powered electric cars are the future !

bluebleeder

Reaction score
The Woodlands, TX. Moved here a year ago. 80 year old Houston native neighbor says its never been this cold or snowed this much in his life.
20210215_071028.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
.. I have three generators at my house in North Hollywood ...A 6.5 gas generator on a rolling cart in the garage... A 6.3 propane in my fifth wheel trailer and a 2.6 propane in my Lance camper ...well the power went out last summer when it was 117° and not one of the generators was operating at the time...
...The 6.5 in the garage I finally fired it...it works perfectly hasn’t run in five or so years...The 6.3 in the fifth wheel trailer has some sort of issue as does the 2.6 in the camper???...Might be a good idea for me to get 10 gallons of gas and put some stable in it...for the 6.5..,
...The 6.3 and the 6.5 went for the same amount of time without being run... the 6.3 in the trailer was more exposed to the weather than the 6.5 in the garage... the 6.5 actually fired on the five year old gas that was in the carburetor... 6.3 apparently has developed some sort of issue because of not being started for five years...My fucked up neck kept me from starting any of them...I am probably going to be paying the price now as repair bills on Onan’s can get a little out there???...

Last edited:

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Global warming? Blackouts everywhere? How are our mandatory electric cars going to work? Didn‘t somebody just get elected who has all the answers?

Sorry............lost trac where I was at, thought I was in the political section.:oops:

rrrr

Reaction score

My filter is hard as a brick, the inlet basket on my $2,200 pump is frozen solid, and there's an inch of ice on the surface of the pool. I've lived in Texas for 43 years, and there's never been a storm like this one.

4Waters

Reaction score
Looks like he can add a block heater.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
My filter is hard as a brick, the inlet basket on my $2,200 pump is frozen solid, and there's an inch of ice on the surface of the pool. I've lived in Texas for 43 years, and there's never been a storm like this one.
More to come on Wed as well. I’m guessing our flights are going to get cancelled on Thurs, which means no house hunting until May. I’m itching to get out of CA and this isn’t helping.

rrrr

Reaction score
After a sixteen hour outage the power is back. It's 48 degrees in our house, and the five gallon jugs of water in the garage are frozen solid.