WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Walker Lake, NV

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Looked huge when I drove by yesterday. Can you launch a boat there?

IMG_5869.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverbottom

Reaction score
We used to marathon race boats their in the 80's and 90's. Ran a pretty big course, I never ventured off the race course to explore the lake. Always wanted to go back and spend time in a recreational boat. Water was clean and nice to swim in back then.

mothershipper

Reaction score
Yes you can launch there, but all the ramps are dirt. Not sure how soft it is, so I would try and check with a local. I drive by a lot on my way to Reno and see smaller day boats on the lake. I do see lake lice on there all the time during the summer.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Not positive but I believe on the far east side of the lake there’s a state campground with boat access. I think I saw it on the Internet so it has to be true.🤗

Disregard all that, I’m thinking of lone rock state park on Powell. 🙈 😳

Last edited:

srttruck

Reaction score
I do know every year they have a massive spider infestation. Stopped there that 1 time during the year and nope, never again. Lol

Hydroman55

Reaction score
We used to marathon race boats their in the 80's and 90's. Ran a pretty big course, I never ventured off the race course to explore the lake. Always wanted to go back and spend time in a recreational boat. Water was clean and nice to swim in back then.
Raced there in the 70s was a big deal every year for that little town of Hawthorn NV gambling too. One of the last time I saw KT boats out in force.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Sounds like it had Salten Sea like issues....

Salt levels have exploded eight-fold since irrigation started. And although Lahontan cutthroat evolved to tolerate high salt levels, Walker Lake has become effectively toxic even to them, as well as to their primary food source, a small minnow-like fish called tui chub.Aug 10, 2011
Then did something about it...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rgj.com/amp/1688518001

Last edited:

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I've driven by there once in my OTR trucking days, didn't see anyone on or near the lake. If the city of Hawthorne and surrounding area have a catastrophic event we're all fucked!

Taboma

Reaction score
While you're boating on the surface, and bobbing in the water waiting to yell " Hit it ", apparently there's a lot of action taking place right under your dangling feet. 😲
Apparently John Lear had a lot to reveal about the secret sub base and labyrinth of tunnels. What I've read about the Navy's Undersea Warfare unit based there is extremely boring. What's told to the public is, they perform the job of --- "An operating site in Hawthorne, Nevada is used for storage and maintenance of undersea mines."
They also used to remove Mercury and other toxic elements from Submarine batteries.

But the cool stuff is here --- https://www.angelfire.com/ex/brantonia000/Sub-Aquatic-Labyrinth.html

One of our members might be up on this, but he rarely ventures out of the dungeon.

4Waters

Reaction score
According to the internet yes you can boat on that lake. The satellite image shows the boat launch high and dry though, that may be a seasonal thing, don't know.
Sounds like Nevada's Buena Vista Lake.

PaPaG

Reaction score
We go by there all the time, when ever I ask locals about the lake they give me either a blank stare or a look like STAY AWAY BUT I CAN'T SAY IT OUT LOUD!, if that does not make you hesitate the SPIDERS by the millions will (when they are around). In the 75 or so times we have gone by the lake only seen a boater on there twice in perfect weather...hmmm.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Just checked it out on Google maps, place looks creepy as hell! 😨 It looks like there is an abandoned cabin cruiser sitting way up on shore on the west side and a shit load of rail fed bunkers all around Hawthorne.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
How about boating in Mono lake? Drove by there last week on my way to Tahoe.

Also pyramid lake Nevada looks huge as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk