WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Walmart folds....no more handgun ammo.

HotRod82

Reaction score
Didn't see this one coming, they folded to the media pressure. I rarely shop Walmart, will be even less now. Aren't they kinda flipping the bird to a big percentage of their clientele?
Story is on HuffPo.

RodnJen

Reaction score
The company made their position quite clear. I must have missed the part about media pressure in their statement.

"We believe the opportunity for someone to misinterpret a situation, even in open carry states, could lead to tragic results," CEO Doug McMillon said in a memo distributed to employees on Tuesday. "We hope that everyone will understand the circumstances that led to this new policy and will respect the concerns of their fellow shoppers and our associates."

"We've also been listening to a lot of people inside and outside our company as we think about the role we can play in helping to make the country safer," he added. "It's clear to us that the status quo is unacceptable."

McMillon said he will also be sending letters to the White House and congressional leaders, asking for action on "common sense measures." He's calling on the government to "strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger."

"Congress and the administration should act," the CEO said.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Follow the flock reaction in the name of the "bottom line".......Maybe take a step towards doing something more pertinent to addressing the issue by quit selling all the mind altering and opiate based prescription drugs.

Background checks into determining real cause issues instead of the media driven crusade against the inanimate objects portion of the equation need to be done. JMHO

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
The company made their position quite clear. I must have missed the part about media pressure in their statement.

"We believe the opportunity for someone to misinterpret a situation, even in open carry states, could lead to tragic results," CEO Doug McMillon said in a memo distributed to employees on Tuesday. "We hope that everyone will understand the circumstances that led to this new policy and will respect the concerns of their fellow shoppers and our associates."

"We've also been listening to a lot of people inside and outside our company as we think about the role we can play in helping to make the country safer," he added. "It's clear to us that the status quo is unacceptable."

McMillon said he will also be sending letters to the White House and congressional leaders, asking for action on "common sense measures." He's calling on the government to "strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger."

"Congress and the administration should act," the CEO said.

Maybe they should remove, Coke, Pepsi and all manner of fried potato chips. Oh...the Pharmacy must now go. Dopes.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
They are an independent company and make their decisions accordingly.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Maybe they should remove, Coke, Pepsi and all manner of fried potato chips. Oh...the Pharmacy must now go. Dopes.

It’s not my place to tell them what they should or shouldn’t do. Perhaps this is their version of abstinence. It’s a 100% effective I’m told.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
It’s not my place to tell them what they should or shouldn’t do. Perhaps this is their version of abstinence. It’s a 100% effective I’m told.

Perhaps, but for anyone to claim they are showing a "corporate conscience" is just being a dope. The products mentioned when abused (like ammo and guns) kill far more people than do guns.

"Walmart announces parking lots will be now removed because cars are dangerous too"

This bullshit is intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer. Retailers, restaurants and celebrities need to keep their politics to themselves and let the consumer sort it out.

squeezer

Reaction score
Perhaps, but for anyone to claim they are showing a "corporate conscience" is just being a dope. The products mentioned when abused (like ammo and guns) kill far more people than do guns.

"Walmart announces parking lots will be now removed because cars are dangerous too"

This bullshit is intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer. Retailers, restaurants and celebrities need to keep their politics to themselves and let the consumer sort it out.

Who here thinks Walmart took this step without a very deep dive into the consumer reaction... ???

They believe it will help the bottom line, no more no less.

530RL

Reaction score

Are you suggesting Whole Foods should not be allowed to choose to only sell..... "whole foods"? Their argument of only selling healthy whole foods is a false argument and only made by a "dope"?

For what is the difference between Walmart choosing not to sell guns or ammo and Whole Foods choosing not to sell Twinkies?

Shouldn't that be their right? Both of them?

Last edited:

HotRod82

Reaction score
So walmart is claiming "social conscience" Oh Reeeaaalllyyy........then why do you still cigarettes for God's sake? If you really care, then stop selling sugary foods and drinks which kill at least 1000 X more people every year than guns do. Walmart doesn't care about alcoholism or drunk driving either because they sell alcohol.
This is a political statement, nothing more, nothing less.....

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Are you suggesting Whole Foods should not be allowed to choose to only sell..... "whole foods"? Their argument of a only selling healthy whole foods is a false argument and only made by a "dope"?

For what is the difference between Walmart choosing not to sell guns or ammo and Whole Foods choosing not to sell Twinkies?

ZERO. That's my point, inconsistency and corporations bowing to either public pressure or as I stated, claiming moral high ground with a corporate conscience. Walmart wants it both ways. Why not stop selling pool supplies? You fully understand the amount of pool fatalities we experience here. I see no difference between the two.

Being "allowed to" doesn't enter into my thinking on this.

Whats that quote you use? "Consistency is the hobgoblin of a simple mind?"

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Who here thinks Walmart took this step without a very deep dive into the consumer reaction... ???

They believe it will help the bottom line, no more no less.

I don't believe that. I don't think a single soul walks in there and thinks..."I see bullets!!! fuck this place, lets leave"

Pro-life folks shop there, I'm sure. I'm sure they have the morning after pill there, which is also controversial. Consistency.

530RL

Reaction score
ZERO. That's my point, inconsistency and corporations bowing to either public pressure or as I stated, claiming moral high ground with a corporate conscience. Walmart wants it both ways. Why not stop selling pool supplies? You fully understand the amount of pool fatalities we experience here. I see no difference between the two.

The only completely consistent people are the dead........ :)

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
The only completely consistent people are the dead........ :)

Come on Dan. That's copping out on a civil discussion. You must agree that; If their corporate conscience tells them to remove dangerous products, they need to take a long look at their product offerings.

If they truly want to sell only safe products that can't be abused, they can re-name the place "Walmarts Pillows, blankets and Tofu"

squeezer

Reaction score

Yes you do...

The point you are trying to make is valid but the premise that a child drowning in a pool is the same as a child getting shot in their classroom is not.

Walmart is never going to be on anybody's list of corporations with an admirable corporate conscience. They have however been pulled into the firearm debate in a bloody brutal fashion. The option of doing nothing was weighed against the token response of eliminating ammo sales in the board room and we see what was chosen. This move gives them the cover they need to avoid the real actions that are becoming more and more likely.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
We'll, Walmart can do whatever it pleases. Who looses here are the 99.999% of gun owners who are law abiding citizens.

Walmart has dominated small town economies, I've seen it happen. When Walmart rolled into my home town we had 4 or 5 sporting goods stores that sold all manner of guns and ammo. Within 2 years they were all gone.

So now Walmart stops selling a product. I guess it isn't a huge deal with mail order ammo these days, but if you want to go do some plinking on Sunday and need a box of 9mm you are out of luck.

Most big city dwellers don't take time to realize the impact these decisions can have on fly over country. One reason Trump won the last election.

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Yes you do...

The point you are trying to make is valid but the premise that a child drowning in a pool is the same as a child getting shot in their classroom is not.

Walmart is never going to be on anybody's list of corporations with an admirable corporate conscience. They have however been pulled into the firearm debate in a bloody brutal fashion. The option of doing nothing was weighed against the token response of eliminating ammo sales in the board room and we see what was chosen. This move gives them the cover they need to avoid the real actions that are becoming more and more likely.

Solid response. And like many discussions in here, we essentially agree.

The answer to gun violence doesn't rest on Walmart's decision. Its a meaningless feel-good move.

I was driving home in traffic yesterday thinking about all the shootings. The only thing I can come up with is that the problem is bigger than me. That said, disarming lawful Americans, would have the same result as Walmart pulling pool chemicals...none.

If it makes them feel better, that's good for them, but it does nothing.

As you know, I hunt internationally. When the whole Cecil the lion kerfuffle happened, MOST airlines decided to stop the transport of "Big 5" hunting trophies. What impact did it have? None. I have used and will continue using Turkish Airlines to ship stuff. It accomplished nothing. But Delta came out as boycotting the trophies and MOST followed suit. They rush to the front of the line to be PC.

Is the pool drowning victim any less dead? are his parents any less distraught?

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
The theft of ammo and guns from walmarts might have helped in their decision as well. People who are willing to steal guns and ammo usually are not allowed to possess either and most likely have bad intentions.
Having a lower inventory reduces both instances.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
upload_2019-9-3_13-5-39.png

giphy.gif

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Retailers, restaurants and celebrities need to keep their politics to themselves and let the consumer sort it out.

So let the consumer sort it out. That's what will happen next. It happened for Dick's and it will happen here. I think SJ had the most eloquent response below in this thread on the ramifications of WalMart in the first place and the decisions they make.

We'll, Walmart can do whatever it pleases. Who looses here are the 99.999% of gun owners who are law abiding citizens.

Walmart has dominated small town economies, I've seen it happen. When Walmart rolled into my home town we had 4 or 5 sporting goods stores that sold all manner of guns and ammo. Within 2 years they were all gone.

So now Walmart stops selling a product. I guess it isn't a huge deal with mail order ammo these days, but if you want to go do some plinking on Sunday and need a box of 9mm you are out of luck.

Most big city dwellers don't take time to realize the impact these decisions can have on fly over country. One reason Trump one the last election.

Fuck them, never shop there anyways

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You really should. It's comedic gold.

squeezer

Reaction score
Solid response. And like many discussions in here, we essentially agree.

The answer to gun violence doesn't rest on Walmart's decision. Its a meaningless feel-good move.

I was driving home in traffic yesterday thinking about all the shootings. The only thing I can come up with is that the problem is bigger than me. That said, disarming lawful Americans, would have the same result as Walmart pulling pool chemicals...none.

If it makes them feel better, that's good for them, but it does nothing.

As you know, I hunt internationally. When the whole Cecil the lion kerfuffle happened, MOST airlines decided to stop the transport of "Big 5" hunting trophies. What impact did it have? None. I have used and will continue using Turkish Airlines to ship stuff. It accomplished nothing. But Delta came out as boycotting the trophies and MOST followed suit. They rush to the front of the line to be PC.

Is the pool drowning victim any less dead? are his parents any less distraught?

Life by default has inherent risk and always ends in death... Pools by default are extremely dangerous and are (or were) the leading cause of death amoung kids under 5 years old. As a parent I know this and do everything possible to minimize the risk. My family was at a pool yesterday, the kids are currently non-swimmers. Knowing that we:

A: Informed the life guard.
B: Made sure they were in sight and quickly reachable by one of us at all times.
C: Briefed on what pool rules are and what we expected of them.

The afternoon was awesome and they start lessons next Wednesday.

(Hold this thought for a minute)

We have new neighbors moving in next door and they are planning to put in a pool. The pool will be great and the risks will be minimized because:

There are pool fencing laws in all 50 states.
They will install a safety cover.
There will be rules for use and access.
(My kids will know how to swim)

The common denominator here is we take an activity that can be very high risk and minimize that risk in various manners. I would be devastated it something was to happen to either of our two, but am not going to stress out about it because we are taking all reasonable steps to limit that risk. Some homeowners probably don't like the fence regulations but nobody can make any sort of sustainable argument against having a fence. We have as a society taken all reasonable steps to limit the risk of the backyard pool...

The same can not be said about firearms.

And this problem is bigger than you, its bigger than me, its bigger than any number of us put together, but it is NOT bigger than all of us.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Life by default has inherent risk and always ends in death... Pools by default are extremely dangerous and are (or were) the leading cause of death amoung kids under 5 years old. As a parent I know this and do everything possible to minimize the risk. My family was at a pool yesterday, the kids are currently non-swimmers. Knowing that we:

A: Informed the life guard.
B: Made sure they were in sight and quickly reachable by one of us at all times.
C: Briefed on what pool rules are and what we expected of them.

The afternoon was awesome and they start lessons next Wednesday.

(Hold this thought for a minute)

We have new neighbors moving in next door and they are planning to put in a pool. The pool will be great and the risks will be minimized because:

There are pool fencing laws in all 50 states.
They will install a safety cover.
There will be rules for use and access.
(My kids will know how to swim)

The common denominator here is we take an activity that can be very high risk and minimize that risk in various manners. I would be devastated it something was to happen to either of our two, but am not going to stress out about it because we are taking all reasonable steps to limit that risk. Some homeowners probably don't like the fence regulations but nobody can make any sort of sustainable argument against having a fence. We have as a society taken all reasonable steps to limit the risk of the backyard pool...

The same can not be said about firearms.

And this problem is bigger than you, its bigger than me, its bigger than any number of us put together, but it is NOT bigger than all of us.

I agree and commend you on 100% of this.

Now, replace "pool" with "gun" and that's where the stalemate occurs. Pools are even more dangerous than are guns. They are impossible to completely block access to.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Did Wallymart take drinking straws off the shelf yet?

Rabble rouser. :cool:

Like I said, if the goal is to make Walmart a "safe place" they have a ways to go. Anything else is nothing more that posturing.

JBS

Reaction score
Yes you do...

Pretty much sums it up.

I am a big supporter of the 2nd but make no mistake changes are coming. Will the changes make a difference? Hell no But they are coming nonetheless.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Now, replace "pool" with "gun" and that's where the stalemate occurs. Pools are even more dangerous than are guns. They are impossible to completely block access to.

Agreed. @squeezer the same can be said about firearms, until there are 0 pool drownings per year.

squeezer

Reaction score

Why?

(Yes I am being obtuse)

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Pretty much sums it up.

I am a big supporter of the 2nd but make no mistake changes are coming. Will the changes make a difference? Hell no But they are coming nonetheless.

I think everyone in this discussion is pretty much on the same page. Our motives may differ, but BIG changes are coming.

I was listening to President Trump yesterday talk about this. I was trying to read between the lines. I see very aggressive background checks and magazine capacity changes coming.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Why?

(Yes I am being obtuse)

Need I answer? nothing short of covering up the hole in your yard makes it completely safe. Guns can be locked into gun safes, but you know this already.

The motives differ simply because "our side" wants to end the problem but know taking guns away doesn't do shit. "Your side" want guns taken away...period.

I know, I know, you have blah, blah, blah guns. YOUR candidates have stated they are going to have mandatory buy-backs. Sounds like confiscation to me.

530RL

Reaction score

About 4,000 people drown per year intentionally and unintentionally.

About 113,000 people are shot per year, although not all die.

How do you figure "pools are even more dangerous than guns"?

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
About 4,000 people drown per year intentionally and unintentionally per year.

Because I'm smart...:D

What are the Arizona numbers? I'm not sure.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
About 4,000 people drown per year intentionally and unintentionally per year.

How many of those shootings were done by career criminals that should be in jail anyway?

Drive by drownings are not a thing.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Are you suggesting Whole Foods should not be allowed to choose to only sell..... "whole foods"? Their argument of only selling healthy whole foods is a false argument and only made by a "dope"?

Damn would I love to see the labyrinth of cutouts and redirections of how the circuit board in your head is laid out........"Pick a business down the street any business," and create an analogy with a totally unrelated product whose use is completely irrelevant to the topic:rolleyes:o_O:confused::cool:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Damn would I love to see the labyrinth of cutouts and redirections of how the circuit board in your head is laid out........"Pick a business down the street any business," and create an analogy with a totally unrelated product whose use is completely irrelevant to the topic:rolleyes:o_O:confused::cool:

You don't like Twinkies? :rolleyes:

Old Texan

Reaction score
Pretty much sums it up.

As long as the people just throw up their hands.......You're discrediting the beliefs of the core of the nation when they go to the polls. People are listening more than they have in a long time

rrrr

Reaction score
Many of you that are using auto parts, beer, cigarettes, etc for examples should look up the meaning of reductio ad absurdum.

A very shocking crime took place in a Walmart a couple of weeks ago. Their response was rational and predictable.

I don't think it changes anything, but they had to act somehow. It's the new way of the world. :rolleyes:

JBS

Reaction score
As long as the people just throw up their hands.......You're discrediting the beliefs of the core of the nation when they go to the polls. People are listening more than they have in a long time

I hope you are right. But I do not share your optimism. Most voters have no concept of differences in guns

Old Texan

Reaction score
Many of you that are using auto parts, beer, cigarettes, etc for examples should look up the meaning of reductio ad absurdum.

A very shocking crime took place in a Walmart a couple of weeks ago. Their response was rational and predictable.

I don't think it changes anything, but they had to act somehow. It's the new way of the world. :rolleyes:
It's call abandoning your principles of what you know to be right under social pressure. Then wondering one day where your rights, based on those principles went.

Something the Founding Fathers warned against, and the PC left wants to change. And will one day regret....The same folks that ignore evil until it devours them

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
While things go rolling along at the pace they desire, they continue to chip away ceaselessly at our protections FROM THEM.

I mean, how much clearer does it have to get when you have people flagrantly breaking laws in public view, and no prosecution is forthcoming?

How far will YOU let things go? Until you see your neighbor get taken away and his guns rolled out on his front lawn for media frenzy?

When will it be enough? I mean we already have Politicians making illegal laws, and Sanctuary city bullshit going on....but nothing has happened.

Not a single one of these lying criminals has been taken to task.

When illegals have more rights than citizens, you should be terrified where we are heading. I mean fuck, do you see the shit they say? These idiots are running our country.....

Be Afraid.

RCDave

Reaction score
The most ridiculous part is Walmart pretending to have a conscious.

I've personally seen them put many business out of business with immoral and unethical behavior.

Fock Walmart. Bunch of pussies

530RL

Reaction score
The most ridiculous part is Walmart pretending to have a conscious.

I've personally seen them put many business out of business with immoral and unethical behavior.

Fock Walmart. Bunch of pussies

You are a stern supporter of free markets and capitalism. Walmart has never done anything inconsistent with these principles as it would not be in their best capitalistic interests.

You are not going soft on the few remaining capitalist? :)

RCDave

Reaction score
You are a stern supporter of free markets and capitalism. Walmart has never done anything inconsistent with these principles as it would not be in their best capitalistic interests.

You are not going soft on the few remaining capitalist? :)

Nope. Principles remain in tact here.

I've personally seen Walmart take high volume shipments from vendors. Then not pay or dropship them back to the vendor, causing many small businesses to file BK. I've seen it happen.

Walmart has the financial power and in-house legal teams to crush small business and they've done it many times in the past.

I use my free market choice not to purchase anything from Walmart. Been that way for over a decade.

530RL

Reaction score
Nope. Principles remain in tact here.

I've personally seen Walmart take high volume shipments from vendors. Then not pay or dropship them back to the vendor, causing many small businesses to file BK. I've seen it happen.

Walmart has the financial power and in-house legal teams to crush small business and they've done it many times in the past.

I use my free market choice not to purchase anything from Walmart. Been that way for over a decade.

We have an investment in a quartz business. Try dealing with Home Depot or Lowes.

That is capitalism. We are all pawns on the chessboard of business.

Beats any other system.