WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wanna help? We need the help.. LOL

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Simple enough, a double handle rope, thanks RL :thumbsup

That's exactly how it started. I even recall guys wrapping the handles behind their backs to rest when I was first skiing, 40+ years ago. At first guys would just hold the bare rope with their front hand, but there isn't much to grab onto there, and its pretty rough on the hands at higher speeds, so different things were tried, sports tape on the rope, building up diameter to a ball to grab onto. Straightline made some race bridles with rope braided together to give a grip area. Guys including Mike Bemis added some foam padding on the rope where it wrapped around them to make it more comfortable. At some point I had Custom Canvas make up some bridles with webbing and mesh to try and market, but that was just as Charlie Saunders released his race bridles that were a step above anything else, even though they were more costly, and they became state of the art in US ski racing, with curved stainless steel tubing covered with padding for handles, and the rest of the bridle made of strap sewn togther, including the "grip" area, and padded cloth inserts to "wrap" the body.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Although I didn't wnat to go to the bar, I did hear that story the next morning about the "door knob" man.:D

He had her convinced that he was a plastic surgeon.. LOL I think that is why she was torqued abuot it.. Someone pulled one over on her at the bar. :D

RD

IskiFASTER

Reaction score
hey i have plenty of skier stuff laying around that i could lend out- and if needed i would be more than happy to help out with the skiing/training thing- i used to race quite a bit back in the day-

just let me know-

i may even have a flotation suit or 2 for some bigger fellas- as i was a little on the bigger side of the scale-

obnoxious001

Reaction score
hey i have plenty of skier stuff laying around that i could lend out- and if needed i would be more than happy to help out with the skiing/training thing- i used to race quite a bit back in the day-

just let me know-

i may even have a flotation suit or 2 for some bigger fellas- as i was a little on the bigger side of the scale-

Hey,, I am a bigger guy,, looks like I need a suit again.

Welcome to the boards bud!

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
First, this is a FANTASTIC venture. Ski Racing needs this very cool idea and the exposure it will generate. All racing has rules, here's are a few safety measures the Region adheres to either at Puddingstone or The Open. Most of us know 'em but for those who don't, here goes:

Drivers: DOT physical annually. www.dot.org can get you the necessary forms for your Dr. A usual MD fee for this is around $75

OB's: Current hands-on CPR Certification (Heartsaver) & American Red Cross First Aid Basics. Puddingstone fun races may let the ARC cert slide, check with Cheryl at www.nwsra.net

Boat Inspection- Except race number grahics at Puddingstone, everything else must comply and will be checked. Again, hit www.nwsra.net and download the boat rules.

Because of these rules, we have an excellent safety record. Hope this tidbit helps!

Skiers- All safety gear as outlined. It is not uncommon especially at The Open, there may be skier gear inspections either 'spot' or formal.
________
Voyeur Sports

Last edited:

coz

-------------------
Reaction score

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 142
D

Deleted Account

I've got a lot of the fun stuff too, RD. My boat is too slow, though. LOL:D

Also have a Maha race ski with size 10 bindings...

Attachments

• Aftermath.jpg
    Aftermath.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 139
R

Retired Member

I've got a lot of the fun stuff too, RD. My boat is too slow, though. LOL:D

Also have a Maha race ski with size 10 bindings...

When are we going skiing? You're the only one that has a boat in town. I brought everyone's skis home with me this morning, along with my 22" ET prop. Let me know when we are going to go out, I'll round a few guys up.

D

Deleted Account

Just let me know. I gotta go get a couple new batteries, LOL...:D

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
What is the propper length I need to cut my 2x6 Pailing?

D

Deleted Account

Should I bring the waitress? LOL.

Attachments

• P1020432 (Large).jpg
    P1020432 (Large).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 142

whiteworks

Reaction score
I would say around 68" or so. What wood did you get? White oak seems to take water less than the rest.

I have all kinds of shit (read that as expensive scraps) laying around. how thick should it be? should I seal it? At the races they all had regular 2x6 doug fir. white oak 2"x6"x68" is gonna weigh about 35lbs. I would still like to make some ski's for fun n shit. any advise would be great.

D

Deleted Account

Heck you'll show up and then have a daddy nap LOL. Congrats BTW:champagne::thumbsup

Just name it. I'll need a day or two to dig the boat out of the garage...

whiteworks

Reaction score
Heck you'll show up and then have a daddy nap LOL. Congrats BTW:champagne::thumbsup

Just name it. I'll need a day or two to dig the boat out of the garage...

How about friday morning?

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
WW i have a few pailines i just use a fence board put 2 or 3 coats of west systems and a piece of grip tap and your set and length 36-50 inch seems best to me weight depending mine is a 1x 6 but i only way 150lbs.

also binding less skis are a good start and wide ski will work and use grip tap or even surf wax.

R

Retired Member

WW i have a few pailines i just use a fence board put 2 or 3 coats of west systems and a piece of grip tap and your set and length 36-50 inch seems best to me weight depending mine is a 1x 6 but i only way 150lbs.

also binding less skis are a good start and wide ski will work and use grip tap or even surf wax.

I didn't even realize he put 2x6. The fence pailings dont need any grip tape or anything.

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
The paling should not be shorter than 60 inches. I've done it on 72" and 60". Either way is fine. I am told 60" is standard in Australia for the paling races.

Oz Dude

Reaction score
...that's cause most timber fences are 5' tall and people literally go over and rip one off :D

Oz

Oz Dude

Reaction score
I have Ed Hume (He's the guy that did my last shirt) getting started on the graphics today as soon as Nordic Boats sends me what I need.. We are starting with a run of 500 shirts at first to give away to people at races, and certain events. I will send you some for you and your boyz. RD

RD - I don't care what any of these guys say about you, or your somewhat odd bodily functions, you're a good bloke :D :thumbsup :D

We were chatting on the weekend and we're fired up for this season. We've got a new skier coming in to replace my mate who's decided after 1 season that he doesn't want to do it anymore. The new guy is a life-long friend of my other mate who skis with us so it should be an easy transition. We've also decided we're not doing this speed limited shit anymore - we're going for everything it's got! Unlimited - here we come :cool:

Hey, we won't win, and we're not pretending we will BUT it will give me the freedom as a driver to push harder so I can learn more and it will give the skiers the same freedom. It's always easier to give a "down" than be frustrated that you can't go "up". We won't learn about fast unless we have the capacity within a race to do so. I've checked the times from the last 3 seasons major races and quite frankly, we won't be at the bottom of the pack! In some cases, based on current speed capabilities, I think we could have even been a podium finish in a couple. After all, it only takes a couple of breakdowns or a missed start by the big guys and up you go in the placings...

And the best part?? We get to be in the first 20-30 boats, with good water, and if the grid in front of us pulls away from us, our water just gets better the further we go. Sure we might get rounded up once or twice, but that'll be good to learn to deal with too. We also get to finish early and watch most of the other boats come home. Now we just have to figure out how to get their fat asses up with a decent size prop and we too can be running with the 90mph boys :champagne:

Oz :bunny:

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
RD - I don't care what any of these guys say about you, or your somewhat odd bodily functions, you're a good bloke :D :thumbsup :D

We were chatting on the weekend and we're fired up for this season. We've got a new skier coming in to replace my mate who's decided after 1 season that he doesn't want to do it anymore. The new guy is a life-long friend of my other mate who skis with us so it should be an easy transition. We've also decided we're not doing this speed limited shit anymore - we're going for everything it's got! Unlimited - here we come :cool:

Hey, we won't win, and we're not pretending we will BUT it will give me the freedom as a driver to push harder so I can learn more and it will give the skiers the same freedom. It's always easier to give a "down" than be frustrated that you can't go "up". We won't learn about fast unless we have the capacity within a race to do so. I've checked the times from the last 3 seasons major races and quite frankly, we won't be at the bottom of the pack! In some cases, based on current speed capabilities, I think we could have even been a podium finish in a couple. After all, it only takes a couple of breakdowns or a missed start by the big guys and up you go in the placings...

And the best part?? We get to be in the first 20-30 boats, with good water, and if the grid in front of us pulls away from us, our water just gets better the further we go. Sure we might get rounded up once or twice, but that'll be good to learn to deal with too. We also get to finish early and watch most of the other boats come home. Now we just have to figure out how to get their fat asses up with a decent size prop and we too can be running with the 90mph boys :champagne:

Oz :bunny:
________
Medical Cannabis

Last edited:

FoxySkier

Foxy Member
Reaction score
Well being that I live in Parker full time I have an extra back room and a few bunks if someone needs a place!! I also have an EZ up!!

skiracer321

Reaction score
Well being that I live in Parker full time I have an extra back room and a few bunks if someone needs a place!! I also have an EZ up!!

Let me know when practice sessions are and I'll hall the Schiada down for a weekend!

GS

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Wish I could get up there midweek for some fun skiing!

D

Deleted Account

JBG picked up my Maha race ski today, so we better start seeing some pics out of him skiing after this weekend...:thumbsup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
JBG picked up my Maha race ski today, so we better start seeing some pics out of him skiing after this weekend...:thumbsup

I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of that.. That guy is an animal! Drag racing, circle racing, and how ski racing?

RD

D

Deleted Account

No midweek stuff, we are way too busy right now...:thumbsup

JBG

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of that.. That guy is an animal! Drag racing, circle racing, and how ski racing?

RD

No midweek stuff, we are way too busy right now...:thumbsup

Im here and I have skied the last 3 days. Today was the first day I could get up on the race ski. I was having a bitch of a time. I have been using a maha 360 and today was the day for the race ski. I talked with Dave Chandler and he pointed me in the right direction. Im gonna try to get up wrapped up next time but for now it is arms out front then wrap up. I skied 70 and it felt pretty smooth. Im guessing when there are other boats and actual rough water my pucker factor is gonna sky rocket. Hopefully I can get back on it next week. Thank you again for the use of the ski River!

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Im here and I have skied the last 3 days. Today was the first day I could get up on the race ski. I was having a bitch of a time. I have been using a maha 360 and today was the day for the race ski. I talked with Dave Chandler and he pointed me in the right direction. Im gonna try to get up wrapped up next time but for now it is arms out front then wrap up. I skied 70 and it felt pretty smooth. Im guessing when there are other boats and actual rough water my pucker factor is gonna sky rocket. Hopefully I can get back on it next week. Thank you again for the use of the ski River!

Hey,, what did Dave tell you differently that what I was saying on the phone the other night?

Jackpunx

Reaction score
I'm looking that up right now. :)

It looks like on Sept 27th there are some races at pudding stone.

In october 9 - 10 - 11th there are races listed in San Diego, but I believe these are the races that are being moved to Parker.. :)

This presents somewhat of a problem for me as I'm getting married on Oct 1st.. I can be at both races before and after as well as train / run boats etc..

but a couple of days before the wedding I'm sure I'm going to be busy, and then the cruise is 4 days so I think we get back on the 5th..

Again though I'm down to go to pudding stone and Parker on both weekends. :)

RD
whats happening w this... Im ready!.. we have the 20' stoker also (Rem) (local399)

obnoxious001

Reaction score
whats happening w this... Im ready!.. we have the 20' stoker also (Rem) (local399)

We should have been ski practicing yesterday instead of you guys beating yourselves silly.