WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

wanna know about a moho before you buy????

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Steve, I rented a 2018 30' Thor Four Winds with 18k on the clock from a RV Dealer for week of Thanksgiving and what a POS that thing was. I mean it was literally falling apart on the inside, cheapest built interior I think I have ever seen. Is this typical for Thor quality?
Like some others I'm in the market for a used coach and want to look at somewhat better quality on a 5-8 year old unit. Something in the 25-27' range w/slide out.
Any recommendations on a class C?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
so heres what just happened....I just took my 2002 Winnebago for a ride...what a nice coach.... the work horse p32 is the best riding coach ever...sure, they run out of chassis at 32'... but at that point.... might as well go diesel

More details on such coach and how much do you want for it? :D

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Steve, I rented a 2018 30' Thor Four Winds with 18k on the clock from a RV Dealer for week of Thanksgiving and what a POS that thing was. I mean it was literally falling apart on the inside, cheapest built interior I think I have ever seen. Is this typical for Thor quality?
Like some others I'm in the market for a used coach and want to look at somewhat better quality on a 5-8 year old unit. Something in the 25-27' range w/slide out.
heres the problem, they are all on ford f53 chassis...and they ride like shit and rattle like crazy....but they all do... so not much you can do.. in your size range... the winnebago vista 26 he is a good choice.. you get a walk around bed and a dinette... no sofa... kind off a built for two deal,,,but..lots of power... what do you need as far as people to sleep..

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Currently 2-4 adults and a couple of little ones.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Was it the Thor Hurricane?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
so heres what just happened....I just took my 2002 Winnebago for a ride...what a nice coach.... the work horse p32 is the best riding coach ever...sure, they run out of chassis at 32'... but at that point.... might as well go diesel
Wait....you still have a 2002 MOHO as well?

RCDave

Reaction score
I found my perfect RV that I bought a year ago. For a price equal to or less than the cost of a new gasser/small DP.

2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 36QSP. 8.9L Cummins (425hp/1250ft/lb), Powerglide chassis with independent front suspension, side radiator, 8K diesel genset, twin 15K A/C's, 150 gallon fuel tank, 100 gallons fresh, 10K towing capacity, etc.

Powerful, super quiet, great ride, extended range with large fuel tank, side radiator (which moves the rear axle back for tracking/stability), very stable, dual stage exhaust brake (awesome down hills), etc.

The chassis was designed by former engineer at Alpine and Country Coach.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I found my perfect RV that I bought a year ago. For a price equal to or less than the cost of a new gasser/small DP.

2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 36QSP. 8.9L Cummins (425hp/1250ft/lb), Powerglide chassis with independent front suspension, side radiator, 8K diesel genset, twin 15K A/C's, 150 gallon fuel tank, 100 gallons fresh, 10K towing capacity, etc.

Powerful, super quiet, great ride, extended range with large fuel tank, side radiator (which moves the rear axle back for tracking/stability), very stable, dual stage exhaust brake (awesome down hills), etc.

the holy grail....no def right?...how much you want for it? tiffins are bad ass, they still care

RCDave

Reaction score
the holy grail....no def right?...how much you want for it? tiffins are bad ass, they still care

No DEF but it has the DPF filter deal (hasn't given my any problems so far).

Compared to the Freightshaker coach I had before, its a major upgrade....

Universal Elements

Reaction score

That’s what we’re gonna upgrade to next year.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
No DEF but it has the DPF filter deal (hasn't given my any problems so far).

Compared to the Freightshaker coach I had before, its a major upgrade....
once you ride in a nice coach... hard to say good things about the new freightshakers..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
If starting out - travel trailer / ToyHauler or RV?
depends on what you are gonna do.. if only you can drive... I say motor home because I always tow something..trailer with 2 rzrs to the dunes.. boat to the lake, tow car to the beach..if you want piece and quiet and a smooth ride... stay away from ford chassis motorhomes and ride in your truck..

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
What are the best quality brands? We all know what tier the custom boats are on. Some have moved up, some have fallen off. How do the RV manufacturers rate?

I'd like something not too large. 26 to 30' Just for the wife and me. Too small for diesel pusher? Rear bedroom, be able to tow a Jeep or something flat. A pop out or two. Gently used of course. Class A would be my preference.

wallnutz

Reaction score

If I was going to buy new it would be Tiffin.

Singleton

Reaction score
If I was going to buy new it would be Tiffin.

X2 - looked at Tiffin’s then decided I have a paid off 2500 HD LBZ truck already so I should just get a ToyHauler, cost of entry is cheaper.
Truck gets stolen after I get ToyHauler. Now I have spent Tiffin money. Should of just purchase the Tiffin back in 2014.

RCDave

Reaction score
X2 - looked at Tiffin’s then decided I have a paid off 2500 HD LBZ truck already so I should just get a ToyHauler, cost of entry is cheaper.
Truck gets stolen after I get ToyHauler. Now I have spent Tiffin money. Should of just purchase the Tiffin back in 2014.

I was in the same boat. Sold a 21 toyhauler and was set to get a 5th Wheel. But needed a bigger truck. So opted for a used coach that cost less than a truck and 5th

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I really liked the Thor palazzo 36.3. It checks all of the boxes for us as far as floor plan and amenities. Have heard very poor reviews and very great. Literally seems 50/50. I have noticed they aren’t the best quality inside so have shied away from it.

Right now we are looking at a tiffin phaeton (used). Very hard to find someone bad mouthing the tiffin products. It’s my in laws coach and they are saying they will be getting out of RVing soon. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of new (it’s a 2008) but the quality seems is much better than RVs in our price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
From all your postings and others, the Workhorse with the 8.1 seems like a great option. What years were the P32 chasis used from?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Wolskis

Reaction score
Steve,
Looking at a Thor Fun Mover. Game plan is to retire in 4 years, load 2 motorcycles and head west. I plan to full time in this for 5'ish years after retiring and then decide what to do after that. It has a 10' garage to park the bikes. It's just me so this type of RV is calling. Your thoughts?
Thor Fun Mover.jpg

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
From all your postings and others, the Workhorse with the 8.1 seems like a great option. What years were the P32 chasis used from?

I LOVE my 8.1./Allison. Zero complaints. Mine is on a kodiak chassis not p32, but you can’t go wrong with the 8.1. It’s a beast.

wallnutz

Reaction score
I have an 8.1 in a workhorse chassis now. Works great, problem is it’s getting a little hard to find some workhorse proprietary parts. Not everything crosses over to a Chevy part.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I have an 8.1 in a workhorse chassis now. Works great, problem is it’s getting a little hard to find some workhorse proprietary parts. Not everything crosses over to a Chevy part.
do you have a w series?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Steve,
Looking at a Thor Fun Mover. Game plan is to retire in 4 years, load 2 motorcycles and head west. I plan to full time in this for 5'ish years after retiring and then decide what to do after that. It has a 10' garage to park the bikes. It's just me so this type of RV is calling. Your thoughts? View attachment 711080
those are cool, geta little squirly with the back loaded... but adding sumos to the rear makes them golden

heres the deal, they were built till 2008 I belive.. but most went to the w series in the bigger coaches...the p32 never had any problems to speak of and were real workhorses...the w's had problems with the brakes... and the allisen trans didn't like the heat and long grades... coach would just shut down...wait awhile and go on down the road.. the w's didn't have the smooth ride of the p32... people kinda shyed away from them because of the in the weeds look of the front... it's air over coil... mine has the up graded air bags and bilstiens… super ride for an rv..

RCDave

Reaction score
I really liked the Thor palazzo 36.3. It checks all of the boxes for us as far as floor plan and amenities. Have heard very poor reviews and very great. Literally seems 50/50. I have noticed they aren’t the best quality inside so have shied away from it.

Right now we are looking at a tiffin phaeton (used). Very hard to find someone bad mouthing the tiffin products. It’s my in laws coach and they are saying they will be getting out of RVing soon. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of new (it’s a 2008) but the quality seems is much better than RVs in our price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three things to watch on the Phaeton for that year. The floor under the water tank (wetbay), floor under the main drivers side slide, and roof rails ( some coaches experienced some cracking near the front). Otherwise they are really nice coaches with great factory customer service.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
What are the best quality brands? We all know what tier the custom boats are on. Some have moved up, some have fallen off. How do the RV manufacturers rate?

I'd like something not too large. 26 to 30' Just for the wife and me. Too small for diesel pusher? Rear bedroom, be able to tow a Jeep or something flat. A pop out or two. Gently used of course. Class A would be my preference.
nexus has a pretty cool set up, them and isaita… the isaita are on the ram 4x4 diesel....

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
This is a great thread, Steve. I think a lot of people will learn a lot from it.
If you will, let me re-tell one story that might save some people a bit of misery down the road.
This is about one of my very best friends, the guy I built sand rails and have traveled all over the west to various dunes. At the time he and his wife had 3 kids. About 1984.
Our season was fast approaching, and one day he showed up with a brand new 28ish ft. Class C. I think it was a Jamboree. It was nice and we all oooed and aaahed at it. Since we were young and just getting going, my wife and I had a 1972 Kit Companion 22 ft. travel trailer we towed behind the '72 Chevy C20 which had a drive on rack on it to haul my rail.
That new RV looked pretty spiffy.
A week or two later we took off for Sand Mountain. It was in the fall, and a bit chilly. We camped in our usual little circle. In the morning I was sitting having my coffee at the table in our trailer when I saw the door of their RV open up and his wife and all three kids marched out.
They did not look pleased.
About 10 min later the door opened and they went back in.
I was puzzled.
Later in the day I asked him what the heck that was all about.
"Well crap Jeff. We won't have this thing very long. Erin (wife) is pissed. this morning I found out I can't sit on the toilet and close the bathroom door. So, to take a crap I gotta leave the thing open and kick everyone out".
He is about 6-2 and was about 260 in those days.
That RV was gone within a month....He bought a used Class A.

A couple years later we had gone through an old Pace Arrow and were looking at gently used Class A's at some dealers in Sac. I am 6-4 and was about 260 in those days as well. Not a small dude. Every dealership we went to and every coach we looked at had to pass two tests. I had to be able to stand up in the damn thing and it had to pass the crapper test.
A LOT of them didn't.
Moral of the story....test drive the coach only after you test sit the can...

socalrzr

Reaction score
I have an 03 American Dream pusher. nice but a little small for my growing family... Thought about upgrading, but might be more interested in a minor remodel. These things dont hold much value and I have already lost my ass in current value. New coaches in the same range are 300k plus. I think ill lick my wounds and keep what i have.

wallnutz

Reaction score
This is a great thread, Steve. I think a lot of people will learn a lot from it.
If you will, let me re-tell one story that might save some people a bit of misery down the road.
This is about one of my very best friends, the guy I built sand rails and have traveled all over the west to various dunes. At the time he and his wife had 3 kids. About 1984.
Our season was fast approaching, and one day he showed up with a brand new 28ish ft. Class C. I think it was a Jamboree. It was nice and we all oooed and aaahed at it. Since we were young and just getting going, my wife and I had a 1972 Kit Companion 22 ft. travel trailer we towed behind the '72 Chevy C20 which had a drive on rack on it to haul my rail.
That new RV looked pretty spiffy.
A week or two later we took off for Sand Mountain. It was in the fall, and a bit chilly. We camped in our usual little circle. In the morning I was sitting having my coffee at the table in our trailer when I saw the door of their RV open up and his wife and all three kids marched out.
They did not look pleased.
About 10 min later the door opened and they went back in.
I was puzzled.
Later in the day I asked him what the heck that was all about.
"Well crap Jeff. We won't have this thing very long. Erin (wife) is pissed. this morning I found out I can't sit on the toilet and close the bathroom door. So, to take a crap I gotta leave the thing open and kick everyone out".
He is about 6-2 and was about 260 in those days.
That RV was gone within a month....He bought a used Class A.

A couple years later we had gone through an old Pace Arrow and were looking at gently used Class A's at some dealers in Sac. I am 6-4 and was about 260 in those days as well. Not a small dude. Every dealership we went to and every coach we looked at had to pass two tests. I had to be able to stand up in the damn thing and it had to pass the crapper test.
A LOT of them didn't.
Moral of the story....test drive the coach only after you test sit the can...
One of the first things I look at, that and if I get in the shower. It’s one thing to fit in it, but can you move to wash yourself.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
those are cool, geta little squirly with the back loaded... but adding sumos to the rear makes them golden

heres the deal, they were built till 2008 I belive.. but most went to the w series in the bigger coaches...the p32 never had any problems to speak of and were real workhorses...the w's had problems with the brakes... and the allisen trans didn't like the heat and long grades... coach would just shut down...wait awhile and go on down the road.. the w's didn't have the smooth ride of the p32... people kinda shyed away from them because of the in the weeds look of the front... it's air over coil... mine has the up graded air bags and bilstiens… super ride for an rv..
Interesting. Is there any Resource anywhere that lists the manufacturers that used particular chasis in particular years? I'm sure it would be a much referenced list for many people.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Wife saw some deal on TV where they were looking at that folding bed thing. She called me to the room and I agree....that is a pain in the ass. Can't get a good mattress, tough to keep made, just too many - and not enough + Like the idea with the truck front and Cummins power, and the paint work is nice...but not with that floor plan.
When wife finally retires it will either be a newer toyhauler or a Class A DP outfitted like your Alpine was, and we will get another enclosed. Toys in the season and a car for running around in on other trips.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Interesting. Is there any Resource anywhere that lists the manufacturers that used particular chasis in particular years? I'm sure it would be a much referenced list for many people.

they all used pretty much both, so you had to look..and used the fords are every where...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Wife saw some deal on TV where they were looking at that folding bed thing. She called me to the room and I agree....that is a pain in the ass. Can't get a good mattress, tough to keep made, just too many - and not enough + Like the idea with the truck front and Cummins power, and the paint work is nice...but not with that floor plan.
When wife finally retires it will either be a newer toyhauler or a Class A DP outfitted like your Alpine was, and we will get another enclosed. Toys in the season and a car for running around in on other trips.
what got me looking was the 4x4, the 37,500 gcwr and the 19500 gvwr,,,, the folding bed was a big ah shit never mind when I saw it