WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Want a new 2018 Cobra Razor 230??

Sbarry

Reaction score
Don't mean to stir the pot, but pretty sure that has been the "BASE" price for some time... Or at least when I was looking about 3 years ago.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Don't mean to stir the pot, but pretty sure that has been the "BASE" price for some time... Or at least when I was looking about 3 years ago.

Could be.. I just happen to see it so I thought I'd pass it along. The boats do come pretty well optioned with hardware as standard - Hidden bimini, LED lighting, electric hatch, hidden hinges, Extreme tandem axle disc brake trailer, etc.

I did notice the ad says "4 speaker Alpine Bluetooth stereo". You'd have to upgrade that for sure. I cant imagine that would be a lot as part of a new build.

Cobra builds a nice boat.

Sbarry

Reaction score
Could be.. I just happen to see it so I thought I'd pass it along. The boats do come pretty well optioned with hardware as standard. I did notice the ad says "4 speaker stereo". You'd have to upgrade that for sure. I cant imagine that would be a lot as part of a new build.

Cobra builds a nice boat.

Yup... They definitely build a nice boat. But, when we were pricing a 230 (2014-ish) it went from $56k to $80+ in a heartbeat. LOL Maybe I have expensive requests? :rolleyes ;)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yup... They definitely build a nice boat. But, when we were pricing a 230 (2014-ish) it went from $56k to $80+ in a heartbeat. LOL Maybe I have expensive requests? :rolleyes ;)

A big block will do that :)

But yea, I am sure that is how they get you.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The $56,900 retail price for the 230 Razor is brand new pricing, we just posted it on their website homepage late last week, and it's the open bow/mid-cuddy cabin model. That price also includes an Extreme tandem axle trailer with disc brakes and LED lights. If you're considering buying something new in this size range, this is a package that deserves serious consideration.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
It amazes me how few new 21-25 ft boats are being built. I know I can't afford a new 28 bullit. At over 150k for new bigger boats. I think that is why the used market is so strong for 21-25 ft boats because no new ones are being built. All the new boats are big baller boats or deck boats. That's what I see anyway.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread yet but I want to say base price when I bought was 62-64k. After engine and everything else it adds up quick. I think it's a good deal and good starting point

bruddah

Reaction score
Seems like a pretty good deal to me... honestly if the wife wasnt house hungry, Id be making a trip down to Cobra!:thumbup::thumbup:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It amazes me how few new 21-25 ft boats are being built. I know I can't afford a new 28 bullit. At over 150k for new bigger boats. I think that is why the used market is so strong for 21-25 ft boats because no new ones are being built. All the new boats are big baller boats or deck boats. That's what I see anyway.

A 21-25 foot new boat is a hard sell at $60-$80K when you can buy a used one for less than half that, and even then if you had to put another $10K in for all new interior and repairs/upgrades, you are still way ahead.

And if someone truly wants to spend $60-80K they can get a used deckboat for that money. It is an interesting market.

On the flip side, there is not much in life today you can get that is bespoke to your exact tastes.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
A 21-25 foot boat is a hard sell at $60-$80K when you can buy a used one for less than half that, and even then if you had to put another $10K in for all new interior and repairs/upgrades, you are still way ahead.

And if someone truly wants to spend $60-80K they can get a used deckboat for that money. It is an interesting market.

I agree 100% we built because we wanted that experience. I wanted something that is mine and was built for me. That being said I kind of wish we would have went bigger. I was coming from a 19' bayliner so a 230 for me was huge. Now that I have it I still love it but we could have done a 260. i like the low free board of the 230 though so I guess I would still really have to weight it out.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

Interesting observation.

A few weeks ago, I was at the river talking to a guy that worked at the GMC dealer in town. He told me the majority of what they sell are fully loaded Denali or SLT trucks or used trucks. Last week, I was at the Cadillac/GMC dealer. The sales manger told me the majority of what they are selling are fully loaded Denali trucks and Esclades. It seems the base and mid trim stuff is not selling as well as the big ticket stuff.

It seems as if people with money are spending it and everyone else is waiting for them to trade that stuff in.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I agree 100% we built because we wanted that experience. I wanted something that is mine and was built for me. That being said I kind of wish we would have went bigger. I was coming from a 19' bayliner so a 230 for me was huge. Now that I have it I still love it but we could have done a 260. i like the low free board of the 230 though so I guess I would still really have to weight it out.

That is the only bummer about the 260, and probably the deal breaker for me. You need a ladder to get in the thing when beached. And our boats have pretty high free board for a 23 foot boat.

And yes, That experience is something you can't duplicate.

tb230razor

Reaction score

I remember that pretty well. It all adds up fast, hidden bimini, digital gauges, controls, steering wheel, motor, stereo, etc...

tb230razor

Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread yet but I want to say base price when I bought was 62-64k. After engine and everything else it adds up quick. I think it's a good deal and good starting point

Did u open the ad? Kind of funny to see your boat and mine for the ad pics[emoji41]

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Interesting observation.

A few weeks ago, I was at the river talking to a guy that worked at the GMC dealer in town. He told me the majority of what they sell are fully loaded Denali or SLT trucks or used trucks. Last week, I was at the Cadillac/GMC dealer. The sales manger told me the majority of what they are selling are fully loaded Denali trucks and Esclades. It seems the base and mid trim stuff is not selling as well as the big ticket stuff.

It seems as if people with money are spending it and everyone else is waiting for them to trade that stuff in.

I think the thinking is.. Well it's only another $60 a month for 80 months for a Denali with the assless chap hangers, Brougham roof, 28"s and triple chrome plated door handles.. so why not?

hallett21

Reaction score
I think the thinking is.. Well it's only another $60 a month for 80 months for a Denali with the assless chap hangers, Brougham roof, 28"s and triple chrome plated door handles.. so why not?

Hit the nail on the head

tb230razor

Reaction score
I did laugh at that. Your royalty checks are in the mail. Your 2 boats might be the only 230s made in the last few years.

Right! Dude I haven't seen or heard of them building anything for that matter. I know they built a couple 270's in the last couple years but that's it

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The $56,900 retail price for the 230 Razor is brand new pricing, we just posted it on their website homepage late last week, and it's the open bow/mid-cuddy cabin model. That price also includes an Extreme tandem axle trailer with disc brakes and LED lights. If you're considering buying something new in this size range, this is a package that deserves serious consideration.

Bob I'm assuming you guys did their website?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Try 800-900 a month! Or more! I don't even know how people can justify it, seems crazy to me to pay 80,90 or even a 100 for a new family cruiser

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Try 800-900 a month! Or more! I don't even know how people can justify it, seems crazy to me to pay 80,90 or even a 100 for a new family cruiser

Or more and they sell like pancakes at Ihop. That's what I don't get.

curtiej10

Reaction score
Thats a great price, in 2002 when i bought my 21' it was 50k after all said and done. Cobra builds a great boat but ya that stereo wont do the job. Its simple for Cobra, if you want future customers start with grass roots and hopefully one day they come back and up grade to the bigger boat, i did.

Sbarry

Reaction score
I remember that pretty well. It all adds up fast, hidden bimini, digital gauges, controls, steering wheel, motor, stereo, etc...

And don't forget the standard, simple interior that has gone by the wayside - so you're forced to do a fancy elaborate interior. The interior is now "an upgrade" (more money) but wasn't "un-upgradeable" since they "no longer do simple interiors"...

I'd venture to say that ad is the classic "Hurry on down!! One at this price!! .... oh dang it, that one just sold this morning. Let me show you what we can do for you, though."

But oh well... All good... I'm a happy guy, what can I say ;)

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
And don't forget the standard, simple interior that has gone by the wayside - so you're forced to do a fancy elaborate interior. The interior is now "an upgrade" (more money) but wasn't "un-upgradeable" since they "no longer do simple interiors"...

I'd venture to say that ad is the classic "Hurry on down!! One at this price!! .... oh dang it, that one just sold this morning. Let me show you what we can do for you, though."

But oh well... All good... I'm a happy guy, what can I say ;)

Lol When I saw the ad I thought they should have used a picture of the interior but then I figured you aren't getting that for 56k. We

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
That is the only bummer about the 260, and probably the deal breaker for me. You need a ladder to get in the thing when beached. And our boats have pretty high free board for a 23 foot boat.

And yes, That experience is something you can't duplicate.

That's what made cobra the perfect boat for us. Low/sleek freeboard like a 21' but a mid cabin like a bigger boat. Other manufactures you have to step up in size for a mid cabin. Shockwave was high in the list but the 25' was a little too big at the time

the510

Reaction score

it really makes a 200k boat seem like nothing...GM, Ford, and Dodge have machines that can build a truck in less than 1 day. Then they turn around and sell it for 60-80k A custom boat that is 130-180k is pretty much 100% hand made and takes 3 or more months to build. I guess its not that bad when you really think of it.

tb230razor

Reaction score
That's what made cobra the perfect boat for us. Low/sleek freeboard like a 21' but a mid cabin like a bigger boat. Other manufactures you have to step up in size for a mid cabin. Shockwave was high in the list but the 25' was a little too big at the time

Which gets me thinking, if you want the walk through, is that an upgrade too? Love my boat. Always enjoy Jeff's help

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Yea the Tremor is about at big as I think I'd go for a V for ease of ingress/egress. I think the Tremor is bigger in the cabin and slightly bigger in the bow area. The rear seating area looks about the same. I don't think I have been in one. If I have it was before I got my Cobra.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Which gets me thinking, if you want the walk through, is that an upgrade too? Love my boat. Always enjoy Jeff's help

Vic might know if that was an upgrade. The ad said MCOB. I love mine too.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

It sure is 😜 We were beached by a 24' Lavey this weekend. They wanted to convert theirs to a walk through. Crazy the size difference between the 23' cobra and 24' Lavey. I'm finally really getting decent at driving the boat. I can eat up the Mohave chop all day. I'm going to do the ecm tune and should be able to hit 75? I can get around 70 right now w the stock bravo 24p

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
it really makes a 200k boat seem like nothing...GM, Ford, and Dodge have machines that can build a truck in less than 1 day. Then they turn around and sell it for 60-80k A custom boat that is 130-180k is pretty much 100% hand made and takes 3 or more months to build. I guess its not that bad when you really think of it.

I feel the opposite.

One sits in storage most of the time and is worth half after a handfull of years, and one you use every day and is worth 2/3 what you paid in a handfull of years.

The value you lose on the boat could cover the cost of the truck.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It sure is  We were beached by a 24' Lavey this weekend. They wanted to convert theirs to a walk through. Crazy the size difference between the 23' cobra and 24' Lavey. I'm finally really getting decent at driving the boat. I can eat up the Mohave chop all day. I'm going to do the ecm tune and should be able to hit 75? I can get around 70 right now w the stock bravo 24p

24 nuEra? Thos have the swim step integrated right? They are smaller in the main seating area for sure.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
24 nuEra? Thos have the swim step integrated right? They are smaller in the main seating area for sure.

Yea the nuEra I think it was an 04. It was so tall all I could really see was the bow
And mid cabin. They said it was a hassle going either under or over the windshield. I move around on the boat a lot so I like the walk through.

Riley1

Reaction score

I have been in a 23 razor, and own a 24 nuera. If you want a fun drivers boat, Nuera hands down. If you want to tow tubes, wakeboard and waterski, 23' cobra (or Tahiti) would be a better boat. My Nuera falls off plane around 20-22 mph.

The 24 Lavey has a bit more room (imho) than the cobra/Tahiti.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The Laveys are measured to the transom so it's a larger boat.

The integrated swim step counts as part of the length, so the running surface is probably between 23 feet or so.they are listed as 25 feet long overall.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have been in a 23 razor, and own a 24 nuera. If you want a fun drivers boat, Nuera hands down. If you want to tow tubes, wakeboard and waterski, 23' cobra (or Tahiti) would be a better boat. My Nuera falls off plane around 20-22 mph.

The 24 Lavey has a bit more room (imho) than the cobra/Tahiti.

Cool! I have not been in one, just looked at them.

CobraDave

Reaction score
The integrated swim step counts as part of the length, so the running surface is probably between 23 feet or so.they are listed as 25 feet long overall.

From what I understand the boat is 25 ft 2 inches. I was saying they call it a 24 ft because they measure the centerline from the nose to the transom. The swim step is not part of the 24 ft measurement. That's why it is actually 25 ft 2 inches.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
From what I understand the boat is 25 ft 2 inches. I was saying they call it a 24 ft because they measure the centerline from the nose to the transom. The swim step is not part of the 24 ft measurement. That's why it is actually 25 ft 2 inches.

This is correct, Lavey does NOT include the integrated swim step in the length of any of their boats.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Gotcha I understand.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Shoot if Lavey could build that boat with an HO for that price I would start the build tomorrow. [emoji6][emoji6]