WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

[WTB] Want to buy dirbike for 10 year old - XR100, TTR 125, etc - what you got?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My 8 year old Daughter is ready to take over my Son's 70. My son is ready to move up from his CRF 70. He is too short to fit on a TTR 125 "big wheel" but may fit the small wheel version. He rides pretty well, fits the CRF 70 we have ok but he would do better with larger wheels and more suspension. Don't really want to put him on a race bike.

Anybody have anything?

My consider getting another 70 to get my daughter upgraded for now, if somebody has something like that available.

Thanks

outboard_256

Reaction score
Look for an XR80. Just a tad bigger than the 70 but you get a clutch and better suspension.

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
My .02...find a KTM 65SX...it’s a scaled version of a real bike, and it will teach him how to ride without being harsh. My biggest regret with teaching my kids was going the CRF 50/70/110 route...if I could go back, they would have started on a 50SX and moved up accordingly.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Hes probably ready for a 150?

Check FB market place- there is a 150F in the Nard.

Also a few CRF 80's

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Hes probably ready for a 150?

Check FB market place- there is a 150F in the Nard.

Also a few CRF 80's
from a 70 to a 150? that’s a hell of a jump.

I bought my daughter a new TTR125. Used ones are beat to shit and they want about 3k for them. I paid out the ass for a new one. Luckily I have 2 kids to pass it down to lol.

Meaney77

Reaction score
from a 70 to a 150? that’s a hell of a jump.

I bought my daughter a new TTR125. Used ones are beat to shit and they want about 3k for them. I paid out the ass for a new one. Luckily I have 2 kids to pass it down to lol.
I have the same problem fast approaching. My 9 year old rides a 70 now and my 5 year old is also riding it. The 150 is a jump but I think doable they arent much bigger- its just the clutch they have to learn.

Your ad here

Reaction score
He'll grow into a big wheel ttr125... Stay away from the CRF150R. Temperamental little fuckers and not a bike for beginners or riders moving up from a XR100.

oldschool

Reaction score
Don’t they make a CRF150 with small wheels? The trail bike version, not the R.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
What about a 2 stroke 80?

Kbach

Reaction score
My kids went from a CRF70 to a CR85 and now to a CR125. I like the 2-strokes since they're a little lighter and easier for them to learn how to pick up after they crash 15 million times 🤣🤣

Kbach

Reaction score
I may fit him on one and see if he can handle the seat height. That's the biggest deal
I’m out in Simi if you want to have your son come sit on one and try it out. I have a cut down seat, took preload out of the rr shock, and pushed the forks up in the triple clamps to lower it when he first started out on it. He went from a. CRF70 to the 85 which was a decent step up in seat height but he managed.

sintax

Reaction score
I have a pw80 in the shed that I need to offload at some point this winter.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Can you lower the rear suspension at all with any different linkage?
Not sure if they sell the linkage for an 80 but maybe drop the clamps a bit in the front and scoops the seat out,

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
saw this ttr125 today on FB seems fair. i have no idea who the owner(s) are/is

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I’m out in Simi if you want to have your son come sit on one and try it out. I have a cut down seat, took preload out of the rr shock, and pushed the forks up in the triple clamps to lower it when he first started out on it. He went from a. CRF70 to the 85 which was a decent step up in seat height but he managed.
Thanks for the offer! We picked up an XR100 and were gonna try that out for this season. May hit you up in the future though!

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer! We picked up an XR100 and were gonna try that out for this season. May hit you up in the future though!
If you are ever headed to Johnson Valley I have CRF110, CRF125small wheel, KTM65, or if you just want a place for the kids to play out of campground traffic hit me up. We'll be there for New Years

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
My 8 year old Daughter is ready to take over my Son's 70. My son is ready to move up from his CRF 70. He is too short to fit on a TTR 125 "big wheel" but may fit the small wheel version. He rides pretty well, fits the CRF 70 we have ok but he would do better with larger wheels and more suspension. Don't really want to put him on a race bike.

Anybody have anything?

My consider getting another 70 to get my daughter upgraded for now, if somebody has something like that available.

Thanks
My situation mirrors yours. My son is 9 and ready to move up from the XR70. Our TTR125 big wheel is too tall. I've been looking for something in-between as well. My wife was telling me about Kayo. They sell them at RideNow. I'm not really into low cost bikes, but, he'll grow out of it in a year so it might be worth looking at.

counterpart7

Reaction score
When I was about his age I went from riding my buddies CRF70 for a couple of trips to an RM80 two stroke big wheel. Best thing my parents did was buy me that instead of a TTR or F model Honda. I learned how to ride better much faster and 3 or 4 of my friends the same age absolutely hated their TTRs and outgrew them within a year or two. They also had a lot more reliability issues than I did. I moved up to a 250F around 13 or 14. Get him an 85 big wheel or small wheel depending on his height. I believe you can swap to the bigger wheels relatively easy down the road.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
When I was about his age I went from riding my buddies CRF70 for a couple of trips to an RM80 two stroke big wheel. Best thing my parents did was buy me that instead of a TTR or F model Honda. I learned how to ride better much faster and 3 or 4 of my friends the same age absolutely hated their TTRs and outgrew them within a year or two. They also had a lot more reliability issues than I did. I moved up to a 250F around 13 or 14. Get him an 85 big wheel or small wheel depending on his height. I believe you can swap to the bigger wheels relatively easy down the road.

TTR with reliability issues? Like what?

You can’t buy a TTR and expect to ride it like a motorcross bike lol.

counterpart7

Reaction score

You can’t buy a TTR and expect to ride it like a motorcross bike lol.
Valve problems, hard starts, other shit that I knew nothing about when I was 10.... I just know their bikes were in the shop and mine wasn't.

Also, tell a 10 year old kid he's not allowed to ride his TTR as fast as his friend on their 85s. If you want slow kids forever, get them a TTR lol.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Valve problems, hard starts, other shit that I knew nothing about when I was 10.... I just know their bikes were in the shop and mine wasn't.

Also, tell a 10 year old kid he's not allowed to ride his TTR as fast as his friend on their 85s. If you want slow kids forever, get them a TTR lol.

You do realize most kids ride for fun right? Nobody gives a shit how fast their kid is. Campfire lap times don’t matter. However the smile on my girls face when she figures out the clutch is pretty awesome.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My situation mirrors yours. My son is 9 and ready to move up from the XR70. Our TTR125 big wheel is too tall. I've been looking for something in-between as well. My wife was telling me about Kayo. They sell them at RideNow. I'm not really into low cost bikes, but, he'll grow out of it in a year so it might be worth looking at.

The Kayo stuff is pretty solid. Have their 125cc/80 size quad for my daughter. I’ve been happy with it.

Meaney77

Reaction score

Yamaloaf- what else do you have to say😭

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I purchased a TTR125 new for my wife back in 2002. Just getting into riding and not knowing much about bikes. I use to hate that bike until I figured out how to unlock the hidden gem within it. First off I went and got my wife a KX100, totally awesome bike. Got her off the TTR so she could actually ride well. Put a 150 kit on the TTR and that really gave it some thumper power. The intermittent starting issues I had, which I finally solved while drinking a beer a staring a the bike was due to the carb vent line being routed slightly higher than the carb. Re reouted that line and bingo, starts every time now. It runs great, has plenty of power and sips fuel.

For me it's an awesome small thumper that I can take on long range rides, do hill climbs, sand dunes, top speed is pretty good, it has a kick stand. But still not a good bike for smaller people.

counterpart7

Reaction score
You do realize most kids ride for fun right? Nobody gives a shit how fast their kid is. Campfire lap times don’t matter. However the smile on my girls face when she figures out the clutch is pretty awesome.
I guess kids are different these days… Don’t care about campfire lap times either. But long rides with kids on slow bikes is boring for everyone. My friends with TTRs got bored going slow and getting beat up over the whoops while those of us with 85s would ride significantly faster and have big smiles on our faces when we were done with the ride.

Glad your girl likes it, good for her. Per this thread and the OPs question, his son will learn to ride better/faster and with proper technique on an 85 much faster than a TTR or F bike.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Girls out here enjoying the hell out of these useless slow Yamaha’s right now.
F42A9EEE-59AF-4368-8787-A54A819FE243.jpeg
ED8EABAA-F319-4828-BAB7-F83E04D001C6.jpeg

HBCraig

Reaction score
My .02...find a KTM 65SX...it’s a scaled version of a real bike, and it will teach him how to ride without being harsh. My biggest regret with teaching my kids was going the CRF 50/70/110 route...if I could go back, they would have started on a 50SX and moved up accordingly.
This is what I did. Did the KTM 50 Senior then the 65 SX

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Here’s where we ended up - got a “fixer upper” XR100 from a buddy. Threw a new carb on, changed the fuel lines, replaced the petcock, changed the oil, and we have some fresh Dunlop’s coming Wednesday to replace these OEM dry rotted tires.

Yes…everything I buy must be a project 😂

He fits on it well, can touch his tippie toes and first gear is very short so learning the clutch will be easy. Should feel super plush compared to the 70, and he gets a 19” front wheel which should help stability immensely. I can’t see him riding this bike long before he’s ready for something more aggressive, but this is a good transition till he’s a hair taller and has the comfort level to step up to a competition oriented bike.

Daughter gets to move up to the 70 now. Everyone is happy!

5FA1E0CA-7360-400C-9390-0D07D54785FF.jpeg

89F4B551-AE30-4C46-ABD7-A2F5D991D41C.jpeg

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
My son went from a $300 old KDX50, to a 2017 KX65, to a new Husqvarna TC85. I'm actually more than likely going to pick up another new 85 for him in case one goes down. He got the Husky 85 when he just turned 9 about 4 months ago.

He didn't ride too much until COVID. Soccer shut down and we had to do something to keep him busy and active. We started going to a local track and it didn't take long before he went all in. Now we go to the track about twice a week. I absolutely love it too. I've met some amazing like minded people and everyone is friendly and cool to hang out with.

I agree with the 2 stroke statements due to much lighter bikes and way more suspension which is more of a safety net than anything. It was a learning curve, but it literally didn't take more than an hour or two.

I have an extremely clean 2004 Honda CR85 that I may sell if someone was interested.

A6802EA2-23ED-4EB4-B1C4-5015F82D35CF.jpeg

tempImage9S4kr8.png
632EFBB4-70EE-44B6-8425-6F96DB87CEE8.jpeg

Attachments

• tempImageQqH3YO.png
    tempImageQqH3YO.png
    10.6 MB · Views: 30