WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Want your battery suggestions?

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
I have two small 360 watt amps 4 interior speakers and 2 10" subs. I don't listen to my stereo all day but would like to for a little while and would like to put 2 new batteries in the boat but am not sure what to get. I have 2 group 24's in there now that are some carquest deep cycles and they have stickers on them that say 07 so they have been in there a bit. Now that I installed a decent stereo what would you guys suggest that won't kill my wallet?:bowdown:

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I have two small 360 watt amps 4 interior speakers and 2 10" subs. I don't listen to my stereo all day but would like to for a little while and would like to put 2 new batteries in the boat but am not sure what to get. I have 2 group 24's in there now that are some carquest deep cycles and they have stickers on them that say 07 so they have been in there a bit. Now that I installed a decent stereo what would you guys suggest that won't kill my wallet?:bowdown:

I have the same setup as you do.

I have 2 Odyssey 1500 / 34M batteries on a perko switch.

The batteries are not cheap $300 each but I can have my stereo on loud for 7 hours without running the boat and I still have power. I've never actually ran out of power.

I bought my boat four years ago and these batteries came with the boat and they were on there for two years before I bought the boat. So six years and they are still going strong. :thumbsup

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
theres a few different ways to go... the odyssey are great batteries but they are not deigned to drain and re charge like we use them for....

if you want agm or gel the deka is the best bank for the buck... theres a thread around with the specs

basicly you want the longest amp hour reserve will last the longest

also what works great is 2 torjan 6 volt batteries running in series youll get 15 to 20 hours of sound system run time...

the deka spec are undeer the thread title odyssey hook up

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
A pair if 6v golf cart batteries pack a ton of power at a small price.

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
here are the specs for the deka

Deka

Part #-AGM-27 810

Specifications:

Nominal Voltage: 12V
Capacity at C/100 100Ah
Capacity at C/20 92Ah
Weight: 63 lbs. (29 kg)
Plate Alloy: Lead Calcium
Container/Cover: Polypropylene
Operating Temperature Range: -40?F (-40?C) - 140?F (60?C)
Charge Voltage @ 68?F (20?C)
Cycle 2.40 - 2.43 VPC
Float 2.25 - 2.30 VPC

Vent: Self Sealing (2 PSI operation)
Terminal: B (T876)

Rated non-spillable by ICAO, IATA, and DOT

Dimensions:

Length: 12.75" x Width: 6.75" x Height: 9.25"

Made in the USA by East Penn Manufacturing Co., Inc

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
here are the specs for the deka

Deka

Part #-AGM-27 810

Specifications:

Nominal Voltage: 12V
Capacity at C/100 100Ah
Capacity at C/20 92Ah
Weight: 63 lbs. (29 kg)
Plate Alloy: Lead Calcium
Container/Cover: Polypropylene
Operating Temperature Range: -40?F (-40?C) - 140?F (60?C)
Charge Voltage @ 68?F (20?C)
Cycle 2.40 - 2.43 VPC
Float 2.25 - 2.30 VPC

Vent: Self Sealing (2 PSI operation)
Terminal: B (T876)

Rated non-spillable by ICAO, IATA, and DOT

Dimensions:

Length: 12.75" x Width: 6.75" x Height: 9.25"

Made in the USA by East Penn Manufacturing Co., Inc

How much? And where can I get some? Are these better than Optima blue top deep cycle? Also are these DEKA's good for deep cycle and starting? I actually posted in that old thread but never saw any more info on the DEKA's.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
I have the same setup as you do.

I have 2 Odyssey 1500 / 34M batteries on a perko switch.

The batteries are not cheap $300 each but I can have my stereo on loud for 7 hours without running the boat and I still have power. I've never actually ran out of power.

I bought my boat four years ago and these batteries came with the boat and they were on there for two years before I bought the boat. So six years and they are still going strong. :thumbsup

Always heard great things about Odyssey but damn I just can't afford $600 for two batteries.:grumble:

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
How much? And where can I get some? Are these better than Optima blue top deep cycle? Also are these DEKA's good for deep cycle and starting? I actually posted in that old thread but never saw any more info on the DEKA's.

i wouldnt give the Optima blue top deep cycle to my worse enemy

we can get them with in a day $200.00 yes you can use them to start the boat... these dekas are a deep cycle so great fro rvs and boats

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I don't know why more people don't go the 6V route for boats, tons of people use them for RV's.
They're designed to be deep-cycled, the plates are super thick compared to 12V batteries.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
I don't think that DEKA group 27 is gonna fit in my group 24 battery trays.

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
ill see if they have a group 24 and see what the specs are...

amps is the powder in batteries

so to run 2 of the deka parrellel you double the amp power and thats a lot more amps than the 2 6volt batts... if you have room for 4 batts then yes 4 6volts running in series and parrellel has more amps... most rv guys run 4 batts.. the boat guys dont have room or they dont want the weight

STV_Keith

Reaction score
I run Optima blue top G34's in my Scarab (2 marine starting for the engines and 2 marine deep cycle for the stereo). I run a 680w amp (4ch x 170w) and it will go WOT for 10hrs on those two stereo batts. Blue top deep cycles should run in the $150 range per batt.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
ill see if they have a group 24 and see what the specs are...

amps is the powder in batteries

so to run 2 of the deka parrellel you double the amp power and thats a lot more amps than the 2 6volt batts... if you have room for 4 batts then yes 4 6volts running in series and parrellel has more amps... most rv guys run 4 batts.. the boat guys dont have room or they dont want the weight

Thanks. Only reason I mentioned Optima is because I could pick them up at costco and if anything went wrong switching them out would be a breeze. I bet I couldn't even find a local supplier for Deka batteries.

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
little less power for the group 24

735 cc cold crank amps

135 min @25 amps $180.00 ea

waiting for a price on the PC1500 odyssey

we will warranty the dekas or any battery you buy from us

and any odyssey battery that you bought from anywhere

GR8WHITE

Reaction score

735 cc cold crank amps

Can you get a price on this Deka number for me. Deka Intimidator 9A34M its not group 24 but in my boat is a 24F so the positive is on the top right side of the battery. This 9A34M is a group 34 and should have the positive on the top left so I can flip the battery 180 degrees and it should still work great. Seems to be only .9 inches shorter on top.

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
pc1500 is $265.00 ea my warehouse only has 2 in stock

the odyssey is built and welded better to take the bounce better in boats

if your using the batteries from only the sound system then deka but if your going to us them for both sound and start then odd is the best

the great thing about odd is when you put your boat into storage and turn off all power the odd will not loose voltage over a period of a long time...

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
the great thing about odd is when you put your boat into storage and turn off all power the odd will not loose voltage over a period of a long time...

This is correct.

I put my boat away from end of October until May with no charger hooked up and batteries off and when I uncover the boat my batteries still have charge. :thumbsup

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
the group 34 agm is $185.00 and even less power the the group 24

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
This is correct.

I put my boat away from end of October until May with no charger hooked up and batteries off and when I uncover the boat my batteries still have charge. :thumbsup

that could be well worth the extra price of the odd...

GR8WHITE

Reaction score

735 cc cold crank amps

I take it this is the 8A24M?

speeddmn

Reaction score
If you check the reserve capacity on group 24 batteries the interstate green top SRM-24 has as much as any of the optima batteries at a lot lower price. I did hours of research before I bought my last set of batteries and in group 24 you just don't get that much reserve capacity. I am like you and have group 24 battery boxes so that is what I stuck with. The interstate batteries are about $80. They will play your stereo for 4 or 5 hrs easily and still start your boat and they come back up to full charge easily as well.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Wow the specs on that battery are not bad at all, what kind of battery are they? Is it AGM? Can't seem to find that info.