WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Warm day, babies are out and about

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Yep - Buzzer season is just beginning 😳. That reminds me I need a new LED flashlight

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Cant see your private page, where did you see them, in Havasu?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Cant see your private page, where did you see them, in Havasu?
Yeah, middle of the street walking my dog, forgot to bring a flashlight, my dog was 15’ out ahead of me and he thought it was a stick and went to grab it. Snake was pissed and lunged at him and he jumped back. I realized what it was and yanked back his leash.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Yeah, middle of the street walking my dog, forgot to bring a flashlight, my dog was 15’ out ahead of me and he thought it was a stick and went to grab it. Snake was pissed and lunged at him and he jumped back. I realized what it was and yanked back his leash.

We had our boxer/greyhound snake trained about 8 years ago. We were walking him last year and we came upon a shedded snake skin. When we got close to it he jumped back and would not go near it. Highly advise getting your dog trained.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I just had my lab puppy trained for Rattlesnake avoidance 2 weeks ago, I hear good things about how well it works.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I just had my lab puppy trained for Rattlesnake avoidance 2 weeks ago, I hear good things about how well it works.
It really does work. It usually takes several classes for them to retain it though. My dog is pretty squared away but I still take her to the classes to support the local horse club that puts on the classes. I also get the vaccine for her too.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
It really does work. It usually takes several classes for them to retain it though. My dog is pretty squared away but I still take her to the classes to support the local horse club that puts on the classes. I also get the vaccine for her too.

The class I went to they recommended me taking my dog back in about 6 months since he's so young, so I'll be doing that.

He almost got bit a few weeks back before the class while we were offroading in Joshua Tree.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Had to broom this guy off out back deck this morning, dog was barking at the sliding glass door. Good thing it was a good guy.
20210330_094650.jpg

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I take my dog every year for a refresher, cheap insurance

Water Romper

Reaction score
Several years ago, wife and I were launching at Windsor, abut 8:30am, typical weekend zoo, noticed emergency vehicles at the ramp-off to the rt side, i thought, damn, boating accident already, nope, a little girl, just chilling with her family, playing along the shore- BAM- hit by a rattler. I did not see her but I did see the ambulance as they were pulling away rolling code. I am not up to speed on my rattlesnake facts and figures but I "assume" a poor little girl, maybe 30 lbs wet (apparently she was around 10 years old-IDK) the venom would really be a serious problem as opposed to my 185lb build. ANY snake hit is serious but that little girl probably was in deep s*&T. Parents must have just been beside themselves. Don't know the outcome. My own ignorance was I thought with all the lake activity, PWC along the shore, kids playing etc, music thumping, snakes would go under ground, lesson learned. Maybe "Snake wise" dogs on boats aren't such a bad idea.

Taboma

Reaction score
Several years ago, wife and I were launching at Windsor, abut 8:30am, typical weekend zoo, noticed emergency vehicles at the ramp-off to the rt side, i thought, damn, boating accident already, nope, a little girl, just chilling with her family, playing along the shore- BAM- hit by a rattler. I did not see her but I did see the ambulance as they were pulling away rolling code. I am not up to speed on my rattlesnake facts and figures but I "assume" a poor little girl, maybe 30 lbs wet (apparently she was around 10 years old-IDK) the venom would really be a serious problem as opposed to my 185lb build. ANY snake hit is serious but that little girl probably was in deep s*&T. Parents must have just been beside themselves. Don't know the outcome. My own ignorance was I thought with all the lake activity, PWC along the shore, kids playing etc, music thumping, snakes would go under ground, lesson learned. Maybe "Snake wise" dogs on boats aren't such a bad idea.

Certainly a person's size and general physical health play a roll as to how severe a bite might be. But also and more importantly, where the bite or bites occurred and just how much venom the snake chose or had available to inject.
It's often stated that baby or young rattlers have a more potent poison, that's not true. What they lack is the ability to regulate how much they inject, so a baby is going to inject whatever it has available, where an adult is more likely to regulate it, knowing it takes time to replenish and not wanting to waste it.
We've shared several beaches along Havasu's shores with coiled up rattlers and been joined by a couple we've watched swim across a bay to get there. We haven't found them to be aggressive, but then we're not chucking rocks at them, poking them with a stick or messing with them.

Water Romper

Reaction score
ugh, makes me wonder how many of these suckers were within reach as we pulled up on shore just to stretch our legs and/or relax in our day camp on a sandy shore. I think snakes in general are awsome...as long as they are away from me and the family. They are brazen that's for sure, there was a video of a group boating (I think it was Copper Canyon) of a snake trying to get IN THE BOAT from the water, funny video because it was someone else and not me! I wonder how many boaters/campers/picnickers are snake bit a year in the Havasu summer months.

Taboma

Reaction score
ugh, makes me wonder how many of these suckers were within reach as we pulled up on shore just to stretch our legs and/or relax in our day camp on a sandy shore. I think snakes in general are awsome...as long as they are away from me and the family. They are brazen that's for sure, there was a video of a group boating (I think it was Copper Canyon) of a snake trying to get IN THE BOAT from the water, funny video because it was someone else and not me! I wonder how many boaters/campers/picnickers are snake bit a year in the Havasu summer months.

I don't know the numbers, I suspect they're pretty low. In the 30 years I've lived in rural San Diego county, I've had two to five rattler encounters annually, in the over 25 years having a place in Havasu and boating, I can count the encounters on one hand. Just be vigilant and respect the fact they're around and could be anywhere, including in the water.

We always check the beaches well, both before and after we land. I've heard of far more dog incidents then people.

My AC guy was recently telling me how he was under a mobile home, felt something on his leg and looked down to find a rattler crawling across his legs. 😱
He forced himself to remain calm, let him pass, then crawled out and went home to change his shorts --- I suspect to have a beer or three as well. 😁

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
The slope around the back of Steamboat near the bathroom has always had plenty of them. They are there all the time, if you look, most people just dont have any idea. We had one try to swim in to the back of a boat that was parked on the beach a few years ago.