WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Warn Hubs on new Ford Trucks

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
65C34B16-E3A5-4E83-ABC5-2B5C6D198BC6.jpeg

I’ve always assumed the manual locking hubs still offered on Fords are because the front diff is spool type function. Both front wheels have continuous power when locked and truck is in 4WD.

Am I correct?

I have the auto hubs on my GMCs that the front diff decides where the power goes.

Your ad here

Reaction score
As far as I know the diffs are open on the front. The reason for the hubs are for if the vacuum lock doesn't work you can manually turn them. Ford still offers a manual transfer case so you would need hubs with that application.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Yeah you can leave them locked all the time, and only when the transfer case gets involved does any power go to the front wheels. They’re basically freewheeling until then.

Or disconnect them for slightly less driveline friction/fuel efficiency.

3rd Gen Rams, and I suspect others, the front hubs are always locked and they can’t be unlocked from the factory...guys sometimes add manual hubs to improve efficiency in 2WD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: TPC

welldigger00

Reaction score
I put the hub kit on my dodge. It was like two grand to do so. Still can’t figure out why they would not have them on from the factory. I like the ability to have low range two wheel drive for backing trailers, as to my truck is a standard shift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
,,,,,,, if you spool the front end then Hubs are essential I take it.

Several reasons to have manual hubs.

2wd low range backing I can understand too.