WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Was Havasu a shit show this past weekend?

mbrown2

Reaction score
I am being half way sarcastic....Being in Huntington Beach we had TMZ, CBS coptors overhead and pushing photos/stories on the web of things being packed and people not adhering to stay at home...when in reality things were not that bad. In Havasu all I saw were the long launch ramp lines at Windsor, and the Marina, the Cat launching at the north side of the island....it looked like the town was packed like a holiday weekend but if Windsor was closing before totally full (social distancing) had to make it a bit tougher....Heck I even heard of our local liquor store in Parker running out of Coors Light...Being 200+ miles away I was just feeling like dang...it was like a holiday weekend at the river...but I am sure since the channel and bars are shut down it pushes the crowds to the beaches and coves....just wondering how things really were from folks that were there?

Sounds like those that got on/off the water early really enjoyed things...those that woke up late waited in line...

boatnam2

Reaction score
Huntington was pretty crowded thursday, the heavy marine layer im sure slowed things down some. long walk to sit in the fog lol

mbrown2

Reaction score
Huntington was pretty crowded thursday, the heavy marine layer im sure slowed things down some. long walk to sit in the fog lol
Yeah...there was a lot of traffic on PCH most of the weekend and people cruising Main...but on the sand it was pretty spaced out and even the boardwalk was nothing like a regular 80 degree weekend..

boatnam2

Reaction score
Probably the most guys i have seen out surfing at one time.

Reactions: DWC

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
It was just like normal summer weekend. Maybe not holiday weekend packed but just as busy as any summer weekend. Packed grocery stores and people out and about everywhere.

Carrera205

Reaction score
Went to HB on Sat to walk with the wife. Went to Pacific city and got some food wasn't crazy tho. The news were all over trying to blow it out of proportion.

mbrown2

Reaction score
That is what I was thinking.....don't remember long lines to Windsor and Marina such that were shown this weekend....something I would have expected on Memorial Day...but figured social media was probably blowing it up..

mbrown2

Reaction score
Went to HB on Sat to walk with the wife. Went to Pacific city and got some food wasn't crazy tho. The news were all over trying to blow it out of proportion.
What was open to eat in Pacific City? Assuming it was take out but I had not even thought about Pac City for food options...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We were through the gorge on Saturday. About 1:00 or so it would have been tough to find a beach. At Moabi, both lots were full, and overflowing to the restaurant lot. Topock had trailers filling the lot between the tacks and the highway, both riverside and tank side. It wasn't quite 4th of July traffic on the river, but a damn busy weekend. Don't know about the lake, seemed they all headed up. We found a not quite beach, knee deep and across from the crowds. Kind of nice. Could see the shit show, but "social distanced".

mbrown2

Reaction score
Did they have the channel shut down in Moabi? Assuming that also pushed boats to beaches along the gorge....looked like amazing weather...wish we would have went out.

HBCraig

Reaction score
What was open to eat in Pacific City? Assuming it was take out but I had not even thought about Pac City for food options...
A buddy of mine owns Ola. I don't think he is open at all

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Did they have the channel shut down in Moabi? Assuming that also pushed boats to beaches along the gorge....looked like amazing weather...wish we would have went out.
The bungalow side had signs saying "closed", but past them, on the park side, there were a lot of beached peeps.

240Hallett

Reaction score
We got turned away at 10:00 Saturday at Cattail because they were full. Launched Sunday around 9:00 and found a nice little cove.

Singleton

Reaction score
Apparently Oceanside today announced "individual" exercise, walking, kayaking, surfing will be allowed. No beach sitting, sunbathing or group gatherings.

Oceanside and Encinitas opened for the above. Carlsbad voted no Saturday and has another meeting Friday.
If opened cities have a spike, Carlsbad will stay closed IMO

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Oceanside and Encinitas opened for the above. Carlsbad voted no Saturday and has another meeting Friday.
If opened cities have a spike, Carlsbad will stay closed IMO
I just found out Encinitas announced the same rules/guidelines

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
We were through the gorge on Saturday. About 1:00 or so it would have been tough to find a beach. At Moabi, both lots were full, and overflowing to the restaurant lot. Topock had trailers filling the lot between the tacks and the highway, both riverside and tank side. It wasn't quite 4th of July traffic on the river, but a damn busy weekend. Don't know about the lake, seemed they all headed up. We found a not quite beach, knee deep and across from the crowds. Kind of nice. Could see the shit show, but "social distanced".

The technical term is shit show distanced. :)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It was just like normal summer weekend. Maybe not holiday weekend packed but just as busy as any summer weekend. Packed grocery stores and people out and about everywhere.

Seemed like a holiday weekend to us, but I live in the middle of town so it may have seemed
More busy to us then it was..

WildWilly

Reaction score
definitely felt holiday weekend and not just all the lines at the ramps and launches closed early. Driving through the streets normally quit or empty houses in the neighborhood had several cars and boats parked in front from out of town

bocco

Reaction score
The Sacramento Delta was pretty busy. My favorite launch spot, Whiskey Slough was out of parking spots. I got the last one and they were turning people away and pointing them at Orwood.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They canceled DS, but who besides myself and GRADS canceled their DS plans? I don't think very many did.

The town didn't force any hotels or short term VRBO type rentals to close or terminate reservations. Now you have at least 200-300 extra boats than normally just idle to the channel and sit all day now forced to buy cheap gas they can almost afford and actually go somewhere else on the lake :)

hallett21

Reaction score
Moabi channel is closed

We idled back to pirates and there were a bunch of people on the beach.

Pirates has signs that say facilities are open but bar and restaurant are closed.

There were Sheriffs idling through at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

Pirates has signs that say facilities are open but bar and restaurant are closed.

Like the Sheriff's Dept. has nothing more important to do?

I would Love to see a Good Old Bank Robery during a "DUI or SAFETY CHECK"

And they hurt no one while making a Clean Get Away.👍

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Weird.. they put out a bunch of press releases saying it was closed?

hallett21

Reaction score
Weird.. they put out a bunch of press releases saying it was closed?

Nothing seems to be consistent. I figured the sheriff would have been telling people to leave. But they just kept on cruising.

Ultra247

Reaction score
We launched at Windsor at 9 AM on Saturday . There was a line up industrial to the 95 but only a few boats coming into the T from London Bridge Road. We waited for 3 cars to make the right into the launch area. We ran down to the springs. Mild traffic, a few boats around, but an easy run. Three dunes had 30+ boats in it but fairly well spaced. I heard that Steamboat was busy but we didn't go in. Hung out at the south end outside the springs for an hour and then ran up to Pirates. We thought that Pirates was closed but there were boats beached on the park side. Beached the boat about 8-10 feet apart. Hung out for a couple of hours. Then ran back to Windsor and got off the lake about 4 PM. There was traffic and busy but not as bad as a holiday weekend. The lines were really bad at 11 AM but no problem at 9 and no problem getting off the lake at 4 PM. Windsor was "reduced capacity" so we didn't have to park in overflow and the launch lines inside the gate were 3-5 deep. It was 100F and the water felt cold but not bad. Had a nice day and stayed social distanced the whole time!! We went out to work on the house on Friday and boat on Saturday. I agree that it felt like there were a lot of Desert Storm people in town but we ate at the house so other than the launch ramp, it was a quiet weekend.

Moabifam5

Reaction score
Have a place at Moabi and channel beach was open all weekend and opend launch ramp to public. SBCS both in jeeps and boats and not one word.

Carrera205

Reaction score
We went to the lemonade place. I think the old crow was open but I didn't go up there we stayed on the first floor.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Saturday , launched at 7, nobody there, was kinda busy on the lake by 10, 3 palms packed, lots a boats down by the springs, steam boat pretty full, we got out about 2, Windsor was closed but the parking lot was not full.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Saturday , launched at 7, nobody there, was kinda busy on the lake by 10, 3 palms packed, lots a boats down by the springs, steam boat pretty full, we got out about 2, Windsor was closed but the parking lot was not full.

I don’t understand the reasoning behind limiting the amount of people that can launch

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I don’t understand the reasoning behind limiting the amount of people that can launch

What is there to understand about any of this :). If it keeps the state park open, keep doing it.

They are probably just doing what the guidance is for ALL the AZ state parks. Reduce capacity so people are less likely to come within close contact. That is not really applicable to a boat ramp though, but probably works for a campsite, and wilderness area.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

If the parking lot wasn’t full then that makes zero sense.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
If the parking lot wasn’t full then that makes zero sense.

It was full, but they roped off many of the rows to limit the capacity so it filled up sooner.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
let me know when and your plan ? I'm in, after being closed for 2 months. I could use some cash.
If river cops are any part of your bank heist scheme, I think you need some new tactics, and possibly a new crew runner...

I may know a guy:cool:

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
When is a Havasu weekend not a shit show during boating season? Don't know how you all deal with that place.

TCHB

Reaction score
My boat stayed in the garage.