WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Washers and dryers.

adam909

Reaction score
Ours looks like its going out.. Ive been a big fan of the simple and cheap models. This time I want to treat my wife to something nice as well as modernize the look of our laundry room.. So whats the scope on all these fancy units. Whats to go to and what to stay away from?

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Speed Queen Washer along with any gas dryer that you like. If you want something fancy, spend your money on something you can enjoy. I read review after review on new washers and just can’t get over the fact that they are all garbage and a ton of money. A washing machine needs minimal electronics to be effective. Speed Queens are high quality without all the electronic bullshit.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Speed Queen Washer along with any gas dryer that you like. If you want something fancy, spend your money on something you can enjoy. I read review after review on new washers and just can’t get over the fact that they are all garbage and a ton of money. A washing machine needs minimal electronics to be effective. Speed Queens are high quality without all the electronic bullshit.

The same with refridgerators. I know an older guy who is an appliance Repair Wizard. I asked him some time ago that sure ssmed the Old Ref's lasted forever and what's the deal? He told me these new Models that are all Electronic are "JUNK" and said if you must do it buy every Extended Warranty available, because you will be using it. He also said if can find an older Non Electronic Model reasonable, Grab it for a Shop Man Cave Etc. and it will outlast a couple of these New POS's

DB / HAV

Reaction score
3 years ago I purchased the top of the line front loading washer & dryer, over time the clothes stunk so bad and the washer was a hassle to clean. A year later, I gave them away and purchased top loaders, much better. Hopefully they have improved, I would suggest top loaders

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score

We bought Speed Queen washer & dryer last May. $1000/each. Couldn’t be happier. Utilitarian, but wife loves them. Simple and get the job done.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Speed Queen all the way!!! Big load capacity, full water level. Load that bitch up. I tried the other ones, tore our sheets up and only filled with a little water. Appliance Repair guy said to only buy Speed Queen. Bad Ass. I tried to sell the new one we bought right after we bought it. Couldn’t even give it away. Ended up throwing that 800.00 POS in the dumpster at work 🤣
All the new water saving energy saving ones are junk.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Speed Queen all the way!!! Big load capacity, full water level. Load that bitch up. I tried the other ones, tore our sheets up and only filled with a little water. Appliance Repair guy said to only buy Speed Queen. Bad Ass. I tried to sell the new one we bought right after we bought it. Couldn’t even give it away. Ended up throwing that 800.00 POS in the dumpster at work 🤣
All the new water saving energy saving ones are junk.

What retailer(s) carries Speed Queen?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
For front loaders get the pedestals with drawers. But, check the vertical clearance. We switched brands due to that. Otherwise it meant considerable cabinet mods. Make sure the dryer vent line gets cleaned by a professional prior to installing the new unit. Ours in LHC was actually cleaned by a dedicated vent cleaner - chimney sweep. You’ll be amazed with the amount of lint they get out of there. Makes the dryer extremely more efficient.

530RL

Reaction score
We have the LG units with all the electronic bull shit and they even steam stuff.

First set was about 12 years old and never had a problem. But she wanted new so she got new.

And they are made in Tennessee.

Happy wife, happy life...

Last edited:

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
We bought the Maytag top loader washer. Oddly enough wife and I both love that thing. The model with see through lid. Think it comes in 3 sizes and either smart capable or not. We have the smaller size deep fill but still can wash a normal weight king size comforter. Ours is not the smart version. It also has the function to fill the tub or use the auto water level sensor. Best appliance purchase in a long time. Had it 9 months now and strangely enjoy using it every time I run it, wife says same thing. Note, if your a do it your selfer, that thing is super heavy.
Also has 10 year “drive train” factory warranty. Not sure how much is made in USA but has a big USA sticker.

shunter2005

Reaction score
We had Kenmore front load washer and dryer. Washer crapped out at 15 yrs. Drum bracket broke and no parts available. We bought a new Samsung front load washer. Skeptical at first, but we have been pleasantly surprised. Sears applianance guy told us years ago, that many people don't really know how to clean a front loader. This new Samsung has a setting for clean, but we don't use it. Two cups of bleach inside the drum and wash on the sanitary cycle periodically. Clean any junk out from under the outer rubber sealing ring. After that clothes come out fresh and clean. The dryer is still going. Spent $200 on a new computer board last year (first money spent on it since new) and it's good as new.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
We had Kenmore front load washer and dryer. Washer crapped out at 15 yrs. Drum bracket broke and no parts available. We bought a new Samsung front load washer. Skeptical at first, but we have been pleasantly surprised. Sears applianance guy told us years ago, that many people don't really know how to clean a front loader. This new Samsung has a setting for clean, but we don't use it. Two cups of bleach inside the drum and wash on the sanitary cycle periodically. Clean any junk out from under the outer rubber sealing ring. After that clothes come out fresh and clean. The dryer is still going. Spent $200 on a new computer board last year (first money spent on it since new) and it's good as new.
i have the Samsung too. Smart washer even though I never use the smart part. Also I always leave the door open and use the cleaning function like you said. Never smells. And don’t forget to clean the filter in the lower left. Maybe you will make 35 cents or so.

shunter2005

Reaction score
i have the Samsung too. Smart washer even though I never use the smart part. Also I always leave the door open and use the cleaning function like you said. Never smells. And don’t forget to clean the filter in the lower left. Maybe you will make 35 cents or so.
Correct. Door open and soap/bleach drawer out. My wife cleans dries the inside of the soap compartment, no no mildew. Only thing I hate about it is that damn song it plays. Drives me nuts!!!!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
We just went through this. Speed queens were on back order for months. Went with ge front loaders. Washer was leaking and I was out of my depth. Got the ge because it has a vent cycle that supposedly knocks down odors. Two weeks later the dryer goes again.

I have rebuilt the thing multiple times. We have a long run and I have been religious about cleaning it. I have the brush drill attachment that goes from front to back and a plug in dewalt big boy drill with the stabilizing handle that I bought to drill concrete footings. It handles the lint brush just fine. I also use the dewalt leaf blower and vac to clean the Damn thing.

When the dryer died again two weeks after I bought the new washer and a new thermal fuse didn't fix it I said f it and bought the matching dryer. Couldn't be happier. It's all working as it should and we are doing half the loads because these things are massive. Now if my kids would just take over the folding and putting away bs life would be perfect. Well see how long they last. My bet is the digital panels go out before anything else.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Correct. Door open and soap/bleach drawer out. My wife cleans dries the inside of the soap compartment, no no mildew. Only thing I hate about it is that damn song it plays. Drives me nuts!!!!
Need to hit the Signal Off button. I do that on the dishwasher and fridge too. Just all noise pollution.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I will never buy a front loader again .
I don’t think they wash as good as the top load.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Need to hit the Signal Off button. I do that on the dishwasher and fridge too. Just all noise pollution.
I would but the wife wants to be notified when done. If we could just put some decent music on it, would be perfect.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score

This times two I have LG front loaders the wife wants to throw them out BIL had Samsung same thing junk they are made very cheap. Go to an appliance store and get a commercial grade that’s my next set.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
I am of the mind all appliances are a crap shoot. You can list all models and someone would have problems with each. My best one that lasted was the old school top load Kenmore washer and drier. I got over 15 years on each.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We bought our home, 2013, with LG washer and dryer front loaders on pedestals. Washer developed bad bearings in 2020. Per serial number units were 15 Years old. Served us well for 7 years. Replaced both, unfortunately new LG units required new pedestals. Purchased on line from Lowe’s LHC. Delivery and installation went well. No complaints.

Last edited:

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
If you get a stacker combo it gives you more room in your garage for tools and toys. That's all I have to offer.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Stay away from anything Samsung unless it’s a tv. And then if you need customer service you’re still fucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jadenchick

Reaction score
I’ve had my Whirlpool front loaders since 2007. Zero issues with mold and mildew but I’ve always left the door open and the detergent compartment open. Once a month I do a clean washer cycle and I’ve never had any issues with smells. It still runs like a workhorse.

I have brand new Whirlpool units at the Havasu house, no issues and I follow the same procedure above for cleaning. The only thing I miss is the delayed wash cycle. I could not find that feature on newer units.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
top loading washer, gas drier, expect them to not last like your parents did.

front loading washers are a nightmare.
We have front loading and I agree 100% wish I did a little research and bought top loading!!!!!!!

boatpi

Reaction score
I own 9 sets between my 2 houses and rentals. For non electronic or standard go with ge or Whirlpool. They do break but parts are cheap and available. Dryers have issues at 8-10 years all small issues generally igniters.

For front load high end, Samsung are great, dryers are superior. Anticipate 10 plus years without a repair depending on use. If it is for your house, go with Samsung there performance is a 10. Very quiet too.

C08H18

Reaction score
Happy going back to an electric dryer.

Had a gas dryer in CA, so when the old one died we bought the top of line LG gas dryer last year. All this energy efficiency features seem to turn the gas heat on and off all the time, the drying time is longer than the 12 yr old dryer we wore out. Wife not happy at all! So a few months later we find ourselves shopping for a drying for AZ. Gas units were backordered so we ended up with a very nice LG electric dryer with steam feature. LOVE it. Mixed load dry time is 27 minutes. Now low humidity in AZ must help, but it's night and day better.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
My washer and dryer are Samsung. The washer is a top load, the dryer is gas and has a steam dry feature. The set I have was recalled due to the wash cycle going crazy and blowing the top off which sent a few soccer moms to the hospital. I had the recall repair done and I’ve never had an issue in the 5 years I’ve owned them.

I keep the lid open on the washer when I’m not using it. This keeps mold from building up inside, when you hear people talk about the smell from their washer it’s due to mold building up inside and not being cleaned/vented properly. I figured out quickly that it’s very important to adjust the feet and make sure the washer is level, if it’s even slightly out of level you get constant Uneven load errors which will stop the wash cycle. If it’s level you won’t have any issues.

The steam feature on the dryer is awesome. I have a lot of nice “no iron” button up shirts. Until I had a steam dryer “no iron” was a marketing gimmick. When I dry them in a cycle that includes the steam the shirts come out damn near perfect. The kicker to the steam dry and perfect shirts is that you have to get them out fairly quick, if you leave them in the dryer overnight they will be wrinkled.

The set cost me around $2K. They’re 5 years old and still going strong. I’m hopeful that I’ll get 10 years out of them. I’m not overly concerned about a component failure. The parts for the new digital washers are readily available and repairs typically require pulling a few screws and disconnecting a cable or two.

adam909

Reaction score
thanks for all the replys.. Didnt know there was a shortage of washers and dryers untill today. pretty much all out of stock and a month to get..

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
thanks for all the replys.. Didnt know there was a shortage of washers and dryers untill today. pretty much all out of stock and a month to get..

It’s like that with everything right now. It took almost two months to get a new range for our kitchen. We waited 8+ weeks to get a sectional for our living room and we’re now on the 4th week of waiting for family room furniture.

COVID and stimulus checks f*cked the supply chain.

sintax

Reaction score
I’ve owned a front load washer for 6+ years now, it’s been solid, deawoo of all brands.

no question you have to keep them dry and clean. I have ritual, wipe the door, wipe out the rubber seal, leave the door open! I’ll shut it a day or two later, but not latched

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
My BIL’s favorite joke on people-Want to buy a washer and Dryer for $10.00?
4F7EFD3A-A773-46D4-89B0-BA1179375DBF.jpeg