WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Washing a boat cover?

oldschool

Reaction score
I have a canvas cover that could use some cleaning, what’s the best way to do it? Laundromat or wash by hand.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I leave mine on the boat and wash it with tide and warm water. Then rinse and let dry while still on boat .

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I have the poles with built in vents to make it like a teepee. Water just runs off. It’s stored outside so needs to shed water

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I’m in central California, but we have a lavanderia or 2.

Call local canvas makers (covers, biminis, etc). They'll have a list, or even a preferred laundry, that has the capabilities to clean them. Mine suggests it be done annually.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I had my cover made by King Kid Covers in Santa Clarita, he used Sunbrella material. He told me only wash by hand! if you put it in a machine 10 year warranty is voided. I guess due to the size and weight a machine is not good for it.

To clean mine I useed two latters to hold the cover up. wash by had and rinse. I will say its a pain the ass!!

Halvecto

Reaction score
I have used the coin-op laundromat big front load washer and dryer (low heat, not until hot or completely dry) for my canvas cover. Works great. My canvas cover is a Custom Canvas and is over 25 years old. Never done that with the Sunbrella cover. Washed that w/ hose and long handle brush on the lawn.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
The cover for the 20' boat I have thrown in the washer then put it back on the boat to dry, the 38' boat (full or cockpit cover) gets washed on the driveway. I hose the driveway off first. Whichever way you decide to wash it you will probably wash away the water resistant ability of the fabric. Get some 303 Fabric Protectant to recoat. Oh, and if you do use the washer, hose the loose dirt/dust off first.

ConcreteDr

Reaction score
I put mine in a clean trash can with a little simple green let sit for a while then rinse with clean water same can.
too lazy to take to a laundry and too heavy when wet.
Air dry when done, I have done this for over twenty years and works for me.

PlanB

Reaction score
I spread it out on the trailer when the boat is not on it, and scrub it with a brush and soapy water. Pressure wash the soap off, and let dry in the Havasu sun.

Ol Man

Reaction score
Clean driveway. Lay out cover, blast it wet, brushy brushy, scrubby scrubby, washy washy, rinse rinse. I draped it over a bunch of burro sawhorses to dry.

This is how I have done it for years......except I don't have sawhorses. Just let dry.

braindead

Reaction score
Whatever you do, put it back on the boat to dry! Canvas will shrink and you can't stretch it back to its original size.

Not sure how everybody else gets away with it, but both Custom Canvas and A1 canvas say to dry it on the boat

NicPaus

Reaction score
I use 2 golf carts parked a few feet apart. Then wash both carts after.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Clean driveway. Lay out cover, blast it wet, brushy brushy, scrubby scrubby, washy washy, rinse rinse. I draped it over a bunch of burro sawhorses to dry.

This is how I do it

nowski

Reaction score
With the cover on the boat, I start by using a leaf blower to blow off all the dirt and dust off the cover. I then hose the cover down with water and let it air dry, done...

riverroyal

Reaction score
I lay mine out on a clean washed down concrete drive.
Then soak it and use canvas cleaner from west marine. Use a brush on a stick for RVs. Then hose off
Then place chairs or whatever under to allow water to run off and dry under.
I do this about 3 times a year

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I clean it laid out flat on the driveway.
Clean Driveway, I use Dove dish washing cleaner, get a hand scrub brush and push broom, hose spray Nozzle, put the cover on saw horses or what ever off the ground to dry.

707dog

Reaction score
I clean it laid out flat on the driveway.
Clean Driveway, I use Dove dish washing cleaner, get a hand scrub brush and push broom, hose spray Nozzle, put the cover on saw horses or what ever off the ground to dry.
this is the way iv done all my boat covers just with regular dove dish soap i also bought a soft bristle brush that attaches to the broomstick, if its a large cover i drape it over the fence and let it air dry. i also do the same scenario with my snap in carpets 👍

MagicMan

Reaction score
Last year I took my boat cover to Modern Laundromat on Lake Havasu Ave. Ran 2 cycles on their largest machine, handled my 28ft magic cover no problem. I used woolite. The machines are not aggressive at all, my cover came out nice and clean. I placed it on the boat and was dry by the time I made it to the Nautical. Whole process took me a little over an hour. Another quick tip, they sell these huge laundry bags there for like $8-10, perfect size for storing the cover. I was looking to purchase one for $60.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Doesn't anyone have clotheslines any more:)
With my full covers, Hang it up, scrub it with soap, turn over repeat. I let dry on line so it fits tight again on boat. Over time driving in the wind it stretches...
For my smaller cockpit and bow covers usually same way but once in a while put in big washer at laundremat.

Ladsm

Reaction score
first trip this year I am gonna throw it off the back of the boat and troll with it for a little then throw it on the boat to air dry while towing it back to the house.

MagicMan

Reaction score
first trip this year I am gonna throw it off the back of the boat and troll with it for a little then throw it on the boat to air dry while towing it back to the house.
LMAO!

Sherpa

Reaction score
laundromat and use the biggest machines they have...... wash only.

take it home wet, and park the boat outside in the sun, put the cover on the boat asap. it'll be dry quick.

note: my sister washed their Cobalt cover once,, and dried it on lawn chairs and whatnot............. after that, it wouldn't fit anymore.

--Sherpa

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Custom canvas does mine once a year and they do a great job

Gripside80

Reaction score
Monica at custom canvas says absolutely in no way shape or form use hot water. COLD WATER ALWAYS! She also said it’s risky using the laundromat because their washing machines retain the heat and your cold water turns warm. And that’s why you get major shrinkage.