WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Watch guys?

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
I think they make one out of submarine steel as well…might be called tegimented steel. I love Sinn watches 👍

But I’m pretty sure the Sea Dweller holds the record at 4,000 meters…?
I think you posted the link to Watchbuys and the Sinn watches.... and down the rabbit hole I went. :)

From the website:
• Water resistance: 5,000 meters
• Case metal: Submarine steel
• Dial color: Black
• Front crystal: Sapphire
• Tegimented: Bezel only
Movement: Quartz oil filled

https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Sinn-UX-EZM-2-B-Hydro-on-Strap-6p381.htm

Last edited:

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I think they make one out of submarine steel as well…might be called tegimented steel. I love Sinn watches 👍

But I’m pretty sure the Sea Dweller holds the record at 4,000 meters…?
Omega just took it back with its latest Deep Sea "copy", so I presume rolex will do the same next time they see fit. Its all a bit silly, like "Your body would be crushed at these depths and your skull would cave in, but when they sponge you off the bottom of the Mariana trench, your watch will have kept accurate time."

-Sorry, didn't see someone had posted a video for it. My point still stands :)

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Omega Planet Ocean Chrono on rubber.
E1A44E9D-299B-4113-B040-DA7C32F5BBAD.jpeg
6F51CDA9-7067-4A93-A447-79D54E85074F.jpeg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I think I would do a Submariner if they come down a bit more, I definitely wouldn’t pay top dollar for one. Any insight on this?

clarence

Reaction score
Yeah, seems values are becoming more reasonable (and dealer availability reportedly increasing), but no one can really guess.

You can always justify buying a Rolex knowing it will (mostly) retain its value.

Or just get an Omega? It's the better watch.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I love the chrono seamasters 👍

My seamaster came on a bracelet, but it’s not great for everyday wear.

Omega is way too proud of their rubber straps/clasps, so it lives on a $50 Borealis rubber strap 90% of the time LOL

View attachment 1171217
Omega is very proud of their straps and clasps, however, after now having two on the factory stuff, its the nicest I have had experience with. The clasp tucking the excess length under and not needing minder loops gives such a clean look. My constellation41 and Worldtimer have, I would love to have one for my SMP300 diver, but you nailed it, I can't come off the wallet to buy one after the fact, that one lives on steel or the Bond Nato.

In regards to submariners coming down in price, they are getting closer and closer to MSRP of new, for a used one, but still significantly more expensive. I will never pay over retail for something short on warranty and previously owned, which means I will probably never get my Rolex. I think the sub is a great watch, but I don't see it being comparatively better than the SMP300 in any significant way, let alone an MSRP of double, and a used price of triple. My 2 cents.

sirbob

Reaction score
I think I would do a Submariner if they come down a bit more, I definitely wouldn’t pay top dollar for one. Any insight on this?

Buy one today at the going rate. It will be worth more in the future...

I bought my Sub in the 80s for $900.

I recently took the band off and checked the serial number on a site that specializes in old Rolex's - they claim the value of mine today is between $20,000 - $25,000 based on condition etc.

clarence

Reaction score
Probably, but you have to sell it to realize the gain. Will you?

And there are better investments: $900 in the S&P500 since 1985 would be worth $45k today.

Buy the watch you want, but only if the Rolex is worth 2-3X more than the Omega to you.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I believe a 41mm sud date now retails for $10,100.. But a buddy tells me there’s dealer markup involved and I have to find a dealer who will sell me one at msrp. It’s like buying a Raptor lol

McKay

Reaction score
I believe a 41mm sud date now retails for $10,100.. But a buddy tells me there’s dealer markup involved and I have to find a dealer who will sell me one at msrp. It’s like buying a Raptor lol
If you don’t have a buying history at and AD your chances are terribly slim. They are falling like a rock however. I’m seeing them in the dealer chats now brand new under 13.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
If you don’t have a buying history at and AD your chances are terribly slim. They are falling like a rock however. I’m seeing them in the dealer chats now brand new under 13.

Cool… I’m gonna wait it out a little. 👍

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Welcome to the grey market. The Authorized Dealers are not allowed to mark up their products above MSRP, and as stated, only sell to those with a purchasing history, especially steel sports models. What you will find is stores that are not authorized dealers, selling used watches, for way more than MSRP.

I personally want a Rolex GMT II ref 126710BLRO, the "Pepsi" if you will. MSRP is a little over 10k, the used price was 28k or so at the peak, and now realistically you can buy used for 20k. Sure, if i want it, that's the price, however, my pride prevents me buying something used for more than others can buy for "new", just because of some "connections" or whatever. I do love Omega, and own 3 of them, but I do like some Rolex as well, however, I will be content with my other brands based on my own standards.

sirbob

Reaction score
Probably, but you have to sell it to realize the gain. Will you?

And there are better investments: $900 in the S&P500 since 1985 would be worth $45k today.

Buy the watch you want, but only if the Rolex is worth 2-3X more than the Omega to you.

No, I'll never sell it or most of my stuff.

I'm not saying its the greatest investment or even a real good one. I'm just saying they hold their value and you will probably see some up side over time. In other words - When I bought mine in the 80s IT WAS ALL THE MONEY to me! Now $900 doesn't seem like a stretch.

The fact that the prices may seem high now isn't a big deal to me for the right items... as they say in the collector car auction world, sometimes you just bought a little ahead of the market.

And I totally agree with your comments about the Omega worth comparison.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I love the Omega’s, no question about it. But if I’m gonna spend thousands on a watch it’s gonna be a Rolex especially since I’ve never owned one. But that’s just my personal opinion.

pronstar

Reaction score
Actually more like trying to buy a Ferrari, which is crazy considering Rolex makes around a million watches per year.
They more history you have with an AD, the higher up the wait list you’ll be.

Buying used means you bypass all of that, but obviously there are pros and cons…

McKay

Reaction score
Welcome to the grey market. The Authorized Dealers are not allowed to mark up their products above MSRP, and as stated, only sell to those with a purchasing history, especially steel sports models. What you will find is stores that are not authorized dealers, selling used watches, for way more than MSRP.

I personally want a Rolex GMT II ref 126710BLRO, the "Pepsi" if you will. MSRP is a little over 10k, the used price was 28k or so at the peak, and now realistically you can buy used for 20k. Sure, if i want it, that's the price, however, my pride prevents me buying something used for more than others can buy for "new", just because of some "connections" or whatever. I do love Omega, and own 3 of them, but I do like some Rolex as well, however, I will be content with my other brands based on my own standards.
Pepsi's are well under 20K now.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I have noticed in my searches on FB Marketplace that most watches are less here in Canada. Especially when you factor in the exchange rates.

clarence

Reaction score
That cover probably (subconsciously?) kept me from wearing a watch for a long, long time.

I'm a sell-out now, I guess.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Damnit!!!! I just thought I had put an end to the madness, and not buying another piece for a year, and especially not getting another Omega before a JLC or Rolex, something different, and then this drops. The beginning of my love of watches, my favorite franchise, ugh....

bondbox.jpg
bondbox2.jpg

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Damnit!!!! I just thought I had put an end to the madness, and not buying another piece for a year, and especially not getting another Omega before a JLC or Rolex, something different, and then this drops. The beginning of my love of watches, my favorite franchise, ugh....

View attachment 1174710 View attachment 1174711

Very nice !

sirbob

Reaction score
Something for the Omega guys…

Oops - sorry for the vin.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Nice watch.

Im always a little leery of "marketing license" watches.

May be a hit, may be a bust.

I confess I dont spend much time following how well they perform.

All that really matter is that you like it, it is beautiful.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 1.06.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 1.06.27 PM.png
    815.2 KB · Views: 18

badgas

Reaction score
Been rocking this old Seiko diver for the last year. My Dad gave it to me for my 17th bday in 1986. It was my daily driver for 15 years and I beat the crap out of it. It went into the drawer for 20 years because of Tag that I had was my new daily. I lost that Tag a year ago helping someone move so this guy is back in business. I just ordered a new band for it and will clean it up.

I like watches and I would like a Rolex but I'm too cheap : )

Seiko makes some reliable watches that work really well for that masses that can't afford or choose not to invest in the high end luxury watch arena.
Unknown-1.jpeg

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Been rocking this old Seiko diver for the last year. My Dad gave it to me for my 17th bday in 1986. It was my daily driver for 15 years and I beat the crap out of it. It went into the drawer for 20 years because of Tag that I had was my new daily. I lost that Tag a year ago helping someone move so this guy is back in business. I just ordered a new band for it and will clean it up.

I like watches and I would like a Rolex but I'm too cheap : )

Seiko makes some reliable watches that work really well for that masses that can't afford or choose not to invest in the high end luxury watch arena. View attachment 1175990

Most definitely, my Seiko "cocktail time" is crazy good looking for the price point. I don't own anything in the high end luxury stuff, let alone the ultra high end, but I wear my casios as much as my hamiltons and seikos, as much as my Omegas. They all have their purposes and time on the wrist. So much cool stuff at all price points.

SeikoMacro.jpg

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
Another addition to my GMT lineup. This one is a little more special than the other two and way way harder to get.

Attachments

• 6d8932190a0d340783b5dd38ebad2272.jpg
    6d8932190a0d340783b5dd38ebad2272.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 6656.jpeg
    6656.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 8678678.jpeg
    8678678.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 74
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 75

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Also forgot to add I scooped up a bluesy as well. It does not hold a candle to the GMT.
Very nice, the bluesy would be my second choice, but again, it can't take its place of the the pepsi for me. Congrats on the meteorite!! One day I will find a way into my 126710BLRO on jubilee.

pronstar

Reaction score
This thread makes me feel poor 😭

The first watch I lusted after, was a Seiko diver with Pepsi bezel IIRC…it was back when I was in grade school around 4th grade, and one of the Rich-kid 8th graders had one.

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
Very nice, the bluesy would be my second choice, but again, it can't take its place of the the pepsi for me. Congrats on the meteorite!! One day I will find a way into my 126710BLRO on jubilee.

Thanks. Most dealers will never even see a single Meteorite GMT so I was really surprised when they offered it to me. It's arguably one of the rarest in the current lineup.

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
Breitling makes some nice pieces. Size and price are good and in most cases, you can negotiate the price down a pretty good amount. I was pretty heavy into Breitling before I got into Rolex and AP.

McKay

Reaction score
Thanks. Most dealers will never even see a single Meteorite GMT so I was really surprised when they offered it to me. It's arguably one of the rarest in the current lineup.
Love this piece! Congrats. Been watching them drop in price. Retail around 45 correct?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Most definitely, my Seiko "cocktail time" is crazy good looking for the price point. I don't own anything in the high end luxury stuff, let alone the ultra high end, but I wear my casios as much as my hamiltons and seikos, as much as my Omegas. They all have their purposes and time on the wrist. So much cool stuff at all price points.

Thats the beauty of the hobby - cool stuff to be had at all price points.

Everyone can play.

Love that dial BTW...

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
Love this piece! Congrats. Been watching them drop in price. Retail around 45 correct?

Yes, about 45k with tax. People were paying north of 100k (highest being 120 that I seen posted) for them just a few months ago which is insane.

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
Ya I seen

I seen one sell for 105 in dealer chats in 10 minutes last march.
I think they are trading hands between 50 and 60 right now, real money. A far cry from the peak. Of all the PM Rolex they seem to be holding ground the best. I wear mine almost daily and love it but it is fun to watch values shooting up and down. :)

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
Im seeing offered brand new at 52-55 every other day in the dealer chats.

I've bought and sold on Moda but I have been trying to stay away because I know certain pieces I want have come down a good amount on there and its too tempting.. AP's for instance.

boatpi

Reaction score
All my friends have Rolexs, but I can’t do it.

The first time I’m going to Los Angeles in the evening for a nice dinner I’d probably have to shoot two bandit brothers with a ski masks on..

I just don’t need the drama.

McKay

Reaction score
I've bought and sold on Moda but I have been trying to stay away because I know certain pieces I want have come down a good amount on there and its too tempting.. AP's for instance.
I hear ya. Wanting a Patek 5236p for my next big purchase. They are still staying somewhat close to retail.