WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water heater question

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
So we mostly dodged many bullets with the freeze last week.

But today, our 9 year old water heater decided to stop working. Pilot is lit, Honeywell gas valve blinks once every three seconds, indicating no faults. No leaks.

I’m thinking the gas valve itself is the culprit.

Question:
Would you replace the gas valve alone for $200-ish and hope for the best? It’s special order so I can’t return it.

Or should I just replace the unit since it’s 9 years old.

Or is there something else I should check?

It’s a Lochnivar heater if that makes a difference...

IMG_6278.JPG
IMG_6276.JPG
IMG_6273.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TeamGreene

Reaction score
At 9yrs old you're at the end of it's life replace it and save yourself some aggravation

fastenuff3

Reaction score
So we mostly dodged many bullets with the freeze last week.

But today, our 9 year old water heater decided to stop working. Pilot is lit, Honeywell gas valve blinks once every three seconds, indicating no faults. No leaks.

I’m thinking the gas valve itself is the culprit.

Question:
Would you replace the gas valve alone for $200-ish and hope for the best? It’s special order so I can’t return it.

Or should I just replace the unit since it’s 9 years old.

Or is there something else I should check?

It’s a Lochnivar heater if that makes a difference...

View attachment 977903 View attachment 977902 View attachment 977901

turn it off and wait 5 minutes and restart do not waste money on a gas valve

copterzach

Reaction score
Go tankless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronstar

Reaction score
turn it off and wait 5 minutes and restart do not waste money on a gas valve

Tried this three times.

Pilot lights, no problem, but the burner doesn’t.

pronstar

Reaction score
Go tankless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could swing it but they’re 3x the cost of a new tank heater. Baby needs new shoes... [emoji4]

Water Romper

Reaction score
You’re talking the difference between Hot showers or COLD showers and for a 9 year old heater and your not sure what this problem is. I would get a new one installed yesterday. You also may need a permit from the city so scheduling a plumber and inspector plus purchasing the new heater may take some time. The cold has really put a strain on services.
If money is tight, HD and Lowes offers credit, 6mo. same as cash...just a thought.

rrrr

Reaction score
A new 50 gallon Rheem at Home Depot with a six year warranty is $436. I just bought one to replace the leaking Bradford White at my rental. Took 20 minutes to swap them after it was drained, and I work slow.

nowski

Reaction score
They just don't make water heaters like they use to. We just had our old Galaxy water heater replaced this past December. I think it was March of 93 (look at the mfg date code) when I installed it back in the day, that's almost 29 years of service. The crazy thing is this old water heater was still working fine, original anode, never a single issue and wasn't leaking when I finally replaced it. I new I was pushing my luck but that old water heater (lol) just kept on doing what it did best. An old timer once told me to flush that old water heater out once a year and it will last you a lifetime, damn he wasn't kidding...

Galaxy Water Heater.jpg

pronstar

Reaction score
Got an 8-year Rheem at Moore’s plumbing supply for under $500, will have my plumber install it tomorrow...he’s coming out to snake some drain lines for me anyway.

As usual, thanks for the quick tips and insight [emoji106]

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Trash it
For another 200 bucks you get new with a 6 year warranty
I replace mine about every 8 years no matter what. Super EZ to do
People in Havasu ask me why and then they get the flooded garage and I say that's why

Fucking CA and their low NOX bullshit....$549 is my local price on that same heater in low NOX.

KevinR

Reaction score
I had the same problem with one a few weeks ago. Pilot on but could not get burner to light. Turned overything off and had SoCal Gas come out. Guy turns on the gas, lights the pilot, holds dial down for 60 seconds instead of my 15 seconds, and wa la, on goes the burner.

red ant

Reaction score
Make sure there isn't a dead critter on the main burner. Had that happen once in extremely cold weather.

wzuber

Reaction score
There may have been a recall on the burner assembly. I just had to replace the burner assembly on my A.O. Smith water heater 2 yrs out of warranty under their recall. That was of course after I replaced the thermopile and the gas valve. My burner was back firing.

Justfishing

Reaction score
Can you change it out yourself? Put in flex hoses and set it up for easy change outs

wzuber

Reaction score
Make sure there isn't a dead critter on the main burner. Had that happen once in extremely cold weather.
it takes literally 5 minutes to remove and re-install the burner assembly.
If you do change out the W.H. it's really helpful in the long run to put ball valves on both H/C water lines for any future services. Does your gas supply line have a drip just before the connection to the flex supply line to the gas valve? If not, plumbing one in is quick and helps to protect the burner assembly from water condensation in the supply pipe.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Wish I woulda seen this sooner. That water heater was likely made before AO Smith nurtured the company. AO bought them in mid 2011. Also, you can get that valve on Amazon for just about $100.

Also, Honeywell discontinued that valve. This is the replacement...