WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water in the motor.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 2001 210, 700 hours on the 350 magnum. Water in 4 & 6. Looking for ideas and rough cost. Rebuild, go big block, or Scorpion. Looking for more top end.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
The bigger question is
Is the boat in good condition? Your going to spend some money on this boat

77charger

Reaction score
Other question if he adds more power what drive is on it?? if bravo yeh go scorpion or zz4

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
At 700 hours I would say the only things reusable are the block, crank and head castings. The rest is toast. Price it out.
I think a mild big block built with reliability from a donor with all the necessary parts would give that added top end bang for the buck.
700 hours was a good run.

oldschool

Reaction score
Rebuild(pistons, rings, etc) with a new carb, intake, cam and exhaust so 400 hp sounds like 600.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Bravo for drive, and a throttle body,outside is clean,interior could use a refresh soon. It's not a Schiada, but it's a Hallet and they use it alot to pull. It has a tower. They love their boat.

Last edited:

redone76

Reaction score
Why’s there water In the cylinders? Maybe its just a bad manifold or exhaust riser?

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
I think they are thinking the worst with 700 hours.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
They should have Barry, obnoxious 001, rebuild the motor. That’s what I would do.
Thanks, happy to do a nice SBC, but there are cheaper options. Told my good friend up here in Parker last year to buy one of the $2200 marine long blocks available, with warranty.

Water in two adjacent cylinders could be a head gasket, but also could be the exhaust. Important to get oil in the cylinders asap, then check the exhaust first.

With the Bravo drive, big block would be a great option, just more money, plus mounts and exhaust, accessory brackets, etc. I may have a SBC 400 block here.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
It's not unusual to have 12 to 15 hundred hours on a low hp Sbc 350 mercruiser. At only 700 hours, run a compression test, and repair the problem, Likely a blown head gasket. Half a day to replace.

Dan'l

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
It's not unusual to have 12 to 15 hundred hours on a low hp Sbc 350 mercruiser. At only 700 hours, run a compression test, and repair the problem, Likely a blown head gasket. Half a day to replace.

Dan'l
Since you are here and advocating just a head gasket and manifold gasket set. Does 20 years on any motor need more than gaskets to be reliable out on the water?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Since you are here and advocating just a head gasket and manifold gasket set. Does 20 years on any motor need more than gaskets to be reliable out on the water?

I haven't seen inside this motor.
That would be determined when it's apart.

History of this motor would comes into play.

But yes, it's an Sbc, run the dog shit out of it, for another 800 hours. Junk gas, service it every other season or less and it will still go another 800 hours. Ye have little faith.

But then again, I build my botë motors. I don't have someone else wrench on mine.

New boats or motors never break, right?

Dan'l

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
I haven't seen inside this motor.
That would be determined when it's apart.

History of this motor would comes into play.

But yes, it's an Sbc, run the dog shit out of it, for another 800 hours. Junk gas, service it every other season or less and it will still go another 800 hours. Ye have little faith.

But then again, I build my botë motors. I don't have someone else wrench on mine.

New boats or motors never break, right?

Dan'l
Both you and I would whip the crap out of anything if it was just us to depend on it. I'm all about betting a nickle to a dollar if I have full control. Most boats die a slow or sudden death of pure neglect.
I wrote a few sentences about tearing it apart for inspection. If said boat owner was actually on this board I would offer more but this is not that situation.

"New boats or motors never break, right"?
Indeed they do. I'm actually a firm believer in engines that prove themselves over time. 20 years is a long good run.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I have a pair of 1999 350 ci throttle body fuel injected mercruises with 900 hours each.... that I plan to run another 900 hours. Pull the exhaust manifold and head for inspection. Go from there.

77charger

Reaction score
Alpha in a 210 with a 350-425hp small block would be fine.
Nice to know i have an eliminator 207 which is slightly smaller and was thinking of building me a mild 350 i have the older carbed 350 mag.Want to do a 383 and probably go to vortec heads just looking for a little gain but keep things reliable