WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water leaking in thru bilge pump?

Desert Mirage

Reaction score
I don't kow whether my flappers are shot and leaking or the water is leaking in thru my bilge pump hose. Has anyone else had this problem?

BadBlown572

A/B Team Liaison
Reaction score
I don't kow whether my flappers are shot and leaking or the water is leaking in thru my bilge pump hose. Has anyone else had this problem?

If your bilge pump hose goes under water, it can gravity feed it back into the boat. When the pump is not spinning there is no force pressurizing the line and typically there is not a one way valve in the line. Bilge pump dumps should always be put in a place where they minimize the possibility of going under water.

However, if you have a set of flapper drains, I would bet that is your problem. Any debris that gets in them can hold them open. Also just over time, the seals start going bad and need to be replaced.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
What Danny said, or your propshaft seal, shaft log base, or rudder log....

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Plug up the flappers and throw a hose in the bilge area and run some water in it. Wait and see where it leaks out. Tilt the nose up so the water stays in the back.

Beautiful Noise

Reaction score
If the water is coming in though your bilge pump hose you need a 1 way valve in the line :D I have one in mine BUT I cant remember which boat place I got it from:bash:

Beautiful Noise

Reaction score
OK.....I racked my Brain(ouch) you need a one way check valve in the line to keep the water from coming back into your bilge.... If this is your problem....West Marine has them :D

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
What size boat is this on btw? a low freeboard flat style boat, or a day cruiser?

Desert Mirage

Reaction score
It's on the boat below. very nice flat style vee hull. You can see where the bilge drain is. Thanks.

brendella4.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You definitely need a check valve with the bilge pump drain that low.

Desert Mirage

Reaction score
OK.....I racked my Brain(ouch) you need a one way check valve in the line to keep the water from coming back into your bilge.... If this is your problem....West Marine has them :D

Are the pressures different on these and if so which one did you use?