WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water pumps

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Cam driven water pumps??? Magnaflow the only way to go or best way? Noticed cp has another brand for a little less that looks nice. Anyone selling one? Thanks guys!

Sleek Chode

Reaction score
I had a neovane v755, it’s old school and worked good. When I updated my big block with lots of new parts, I bought the manga flow. It’s significantly bigger and keeps the engine cold. They are very expensive in my opinion but it’s new technology and work well. I think I have the neovane and 2 or 3 extra impellers still if it’s something you want and cheaper than new. I’ll let it all go for $150. DM me if interested.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
My vote is Magnaflow, had a buddy buy the CP pump, in my opinion a knock off of glenwood (at it pissed me off) and I think the Magnaflow is better looking. just my two cents, I run them on both my boats and we have them on at least 6 other boats in our group, only issues we have is being too cold. I would run the 3/4" pump.

Just Ducky

Reaction score
I have a one inch Magnaflow on my 22 schiada whaler running a basically stock big block chevy.They flow a shit ton of water. If your worried about temp being low run your water from the pump through your exhaust manifolds first if you have them to pre heat the water before it enters the block then run the water out of the top of the intake where your t-stat would go to your tailpipes and out.Been running that way forever no problems.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Thanks Cliff and Ducky I like that idea through the
Manifolds.

DUN

Reaction score
I've got a magnaflow but I like the old neovane stuff better because a) the impeller cover is extremely easy to remove if you want to fire it up dry and b)you don't have to tear the whole damn thing apart to change the impeller.

Granted I've never been around anything with insanely large power and couldn't tell if the neovane pumps would hinder performance..

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
We run the old school logs, pump to manifolds then to engine and the 1 inch is still too much water for us.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
There are several thread on the site about plumbing, the pre heat seems to be an old school method, for my flat with the old school Nicson logs I dig it mainly for hiding water lines and keeping things clean. I just changed to DANA Center rise headers on my Day Cruiser and these are plumbed completely different as suggested by the builder of the headers. The Magnaflow is a kick ass pump, great impeller life and easy to service if needed, you can rebuild it 30 minutes. Your cooling will be impacted by the plumbing and there is a lot of different ways to get that done.

Groper

Reaction score
There are several thread on the site about plumbing, the pre heat seems to be an old school method, for my flat with the old school Nicson logs I dig it mainly for hiding water lines and keeping things clean. I just changed to DANA Center rise headers on my Day Cruiser and these are plumbed completely different as suggested by the builder of the headers. The Magnaflow is a kick ass pump, great impeller life and easy to service if needed, you can rebuild it 30 minutes. Your cooling will be impacted by the plumbing and there is a lot of different ways to get that done.
The last (3) V-Drives ive owned over the last 25yrs have had some sort of plumbing issues. I know that just about every v-drive made is different in many ways.
But it would be nice if we had a V-Drive Plumbing sticky with a few of the best ways on how too plumb the right way.

Sleek Chode

Reaction score
The last (3) V-Drives ive owned over the last 25yrs have had some sort of plumbing issues. I know that just about every v-drive made is different in many ways.
But it would be nice if we had a V-Drive Plumbing sticky with a few of the best ways on how too plumb the right way.
I like to plumb the left side of my water pump to my transmission cooler and then from the cooler into my left intake side log and I like to do the right side of the water pump to the oil cooler and then from the oil cooler into the right intake side log. From there it comes out of both logs and into the water jackets on the front and up to the thermostat via the T. The water then exits out of the top of the thermostat housing and I connect up to the snails on the left and the right. I’m not saying it’s perfect, but it is very simple. My engine never went out but 100, now I have a thermostat and I let it run out to about 150.
43EE5803-80B9-480C-8C99-2F1E1739B75C.jpeg
9724E9C0-C131-4D8E-8A44-2AC15486A022.jpeg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I like the idea of a sticky thread on plumbing but not sure if there is enough interest in it as there are only a hand full of folks that are building this stuff. the search function on the site is awesome and I have used it a lot and it helped me make my decision on plumbing my Day Cruiser when I changed headers.

I plum like my Dad... he taught me and so that's what I do. For us it's a game to hide as much as we can... hoses, tap manifolds to bury all the threads of a fitting etc. We have always (my entire life) skied on the Kings River, shallow and sandy, you will dig at some time during the week. Old school picked up the water from under the boat adjacent to the prop. As newer boats showed up with water pick ups off the cav plates they started to fill engine blocks with sand as the pick ups were directly behind the prop and over the years all that sediment ended up in the block, so personally I try to do all pick ups off the bottom. My Dad also changed the entry location for water on his Nail head in the mid 60's and I have done the same on everything I have worked on. We use the bottom of the block rather than the timing cover and it really cleans things up. Here is a look at my Dad's Wood Decker, it's looked like this since the 60's, a pick of a Big Block in a Sanger that I re-rigged for a friend, only thing I didn't like was that the owner liked the pick ups off the cav plates, I ran the engine rails nearly all the way to the transom so the water lines are hid under the rails. She had two pick ups, left side runs thru trans Oil Cooler to gear box and out shaft log, right side runs to pump. and my Day Cruiser befor I changed to teh DANA headers, I ran from the pump thru oils coolers on both sides of the engine and out of the coolers into the header to pre heat.
IMG_0351.JPG
SPECTRA SEA STRAINER 2.jpg

IMG_1825[1].JPG
NEW REAR VIEW.jpg
NEW FRONT  VIEW.jpg

Last edited:

1972Sanger

Reaction score
I have had a Magnaflow and the Hardin Ram Force 2 on mine. I actually like the Ram Force 2, but the shaft coupler is a nicer piece on the Magnaflow. My boat ate the cam drive using both of these so I moved over to an electric pump from Product Engineering. The pump pushes 460 gph and with no HP loss. Running at elsinore which has pretty warm water it kept my temp right at 150 running 4000rpm at 68mph. I am more than pleased with this set up and makes for a clean install.
C162461A-0BDC-45EE-85CC-39582697206D_1_105_c.jpeg

renodaytona

Reaction score
I run the 1" magnaflow on my 25 Daytona I like the simplicity of the design. I change the impeller every couple years and have numerous spares as they are all in great condition still. I was debating on changing to a 2 stage belt driven pump but still not sure on that yet. Taking some hints from the pics posted by you guys to "clean up" my rigging this winter.
Motor 005.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I run the 1" magnaflow on my 25 Daytona I like the simplicity of the design. I change the impeller every couple years and have numerous spares as they are all in great condition still. I was debating on changing to a 2 stage belt driven pump but still not sure on that yet. Taking some hints from the pics posted by you guys to "clean up" my rigging this winter.
View attachment 934670
Looks like a "bad muttha" I like your plumbing to get around that blower belt, love the Daytonas!!

Mark Caton

Reaction score
I have had a Magnaflow and the Hardin Ram Force 2 on mine. I actually like the Ram Force 2, but the shaft coupler is a nicer piece on the Magnaflow. My boat ate the cam drive using both of these so I moved over to an electric pump from Product Engineering. The pump pushes 460 gph and with no HP loss. Running at elsinore which has pretty warm water it kept my temp right at 150 running 4000rpm at 68mph. I am more than pleased with this set up and makes for a clean install. View attachment 934411
Would like to talk to you about your Product Engineering w/p. Thank you Mark from Needles. 760 709 6427

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Of course you guys realize that there are no more new Magnaflow pumps being made with Glenwood out of business. Hardin/CP has sort of a copycat one that I have not seen in person yet.

Vamodsquad

Reaction score
Of course you guys realize that there are no more new Magnaflow pumps being made with Glenwood out of business. Hardin/CP has sort of a copycat one that I have not seen in person yet.
I didn't know that. So that's why you don't see them on anybody's website for sale anymore. That's a shame. I have a brand new one that I bought a few years ago from somebody, for a spare. Looks like a nice piece.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
You can buy the internals and rebuild the Magna Flow, a few folks have them listed. Glenwood was a legacy but really after Bob passed away the challenges to the industry they just could not stay open... That was a piece of history there.