WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water Ski Thread...

Babyback

Reaction score
Not going to use the front attachment?

As a kid I remember both front and rear of the skis attached?

Those are awesome! The kids get to color them in? What a cool thing!

We will use the front attachment, just had to take it off to color the skis. Yep, Radar skis make a set for kids they get to color...

They each colored one ski with a little help from dad.

E140A5BE-40BB-415F-A5EC-AEFE5F103C64.jpeg

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have a ton of old skis. Probably 30 of them. Mostly all Vogue's. Some used from the 60's id guess and some brand new with no holes in them from the 80's. Ive been trying to think of how to display them in my house. Hang them somehow cool on the wall. But I havent really put much thought into it. Need to get it done though.
If you want to get rid of or sell any of them let me know. I want to hang a few outside in my gazebo

Ryder Tovatt

Reaction score
I have a ton of old skis. Probably 30 of them. Mostly all Vogue's. Some used from the 60's id guess and some brand new with no holes in them from the 80's. Ive been trying to think of how to display them in my house. Hang them somehow cool on the wall. But I havent really put much thought into it. Need to get it done though.
Hey do you still have any vogues for sale? i’m interested

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
You guys can keep Havasu and Parker... Nothing beats skiing on the Delta... These were from a "rough" day this summer

IMG_5717.JPG
IMG_9794.JPG
IMG_8264.jpg
IMG_6141.jpg

Kiddo Just turned 3 but she's been on the easy ski since she was 2. Almost ready for real ski's

When she gets bored swimming infront of the dock, or if we aren't out on the Sloughs she just wants to do laps in our bay behind the fishing boat...
IMG_8552.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5717.JPG
    IMG_5717.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9794.JPG
    IMG_9794.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8264.jpg
    IMG_8264.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

oldschool

Reaction score
At 65 I’m the only one of my friends still doing it. The boat is a shitty boat for skiing but I wanted a custom performance boat so I have to adapt. I will keep skiing until I can’t. View attachment 1029116
That’s awesome, like you I plan to keep giving it hell till I can’t. Last trip out, a friend of ours wakeboarded on his 75th birthday.

Hammer

Reaction score
Gott my kid up on a single. First time trying skiing, he’s 10. This is the still shot of the video. I skid the slalom course, got up first pull! Great thread bump. [emoji106]
IMG_5425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
1627086302662.jpeg
… …Picked it up from a thrift store about five or so years ago…think I paid maybe 6 to 8 dollars for it??? for it… Ski King was located on San Fernando Rd. in Burbank California and was in business till maybe six or seven years ago…I think???…
…Wasn’t much of a skier but I did end up being able to jump a full wake on a single…Think I did it on a square back O’Brien???
…. I was better at pulling skiers in our 17 foot all wood V-Drive flat bottom…
…Just noticed something… the price tag is still on it…says I paid seven dollars and 50 Cents for it…
1627086349972.jpeg

Last edited:

oldschool

Reaction score
Awesome posts!! I miss water skiing. I feel like I could still get up if I tried. Reality might be a whole different story though...

😝
One thing is certain, you’ll never get up if you don’t try. Getting up with full wrap handles makes life much easier.

Hammer

Reaction score

My brother in law has a place in Arvin”Ski West Village” I think it’s called. Kids ski, similar to a big daddy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjbuilder1

Reaction score
View attachment 1029155 … …Picked it up from a thrift store about five or so years ago…think I paid maybe 6 to 8 dollars for it??? for it… Ski King was located on San Fernando Rd. in Burbank California and was in business till maybe six or seven years ago…I think???…
…Wasn’t much of a skier but I did end up being able to jump a full wake on a single…Think I did it on a square back O’Brien???
…Just noticed something… the price tag is still on it…says I paid seven dollars and 50 Cents for it…

cjbuilder1

Reaction score
Bought mine there from Billy Joe Dixon. He hooked me up with a heavy duty copy of a TaperFlex that was a wake jumping fool but then I only weighed a buck fifty. Served me well from '63 to around '82 when they started to delaminate and I retired them for a Connelly Team 1.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Awesome posts!! I miss water skiing. I feel like I could still get up if I tried. Reality might be a whole different story though...

😝
well shitdamn !...............I dunno if I posted this where I thought I posted it ?.............been awhile !........................my Dad, me, my youngest daughter, her son, my grandson.

Attachments

• 39105148_10217051327145934_1665231165088333824_n.jpg
    39105148_10217051327145934_1665231165088333824_n.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 62

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I had an O'Brian compsite tunnel hull ski. It had a 12 inch rudder full of holes. Never could stay up on it. If I moved my head at all, the ski went one way and I went the other. Never had problems getting up on it though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score

😝
It's like riding a bike. Come by here if you want to ski. The "wrap" handles in that photo are something a few guys made up to race with, rather than the ones most racers, including myself, who actually hold the handles behind their back.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It's like riding a bike. Come by here if you want to ski. The "wrap" handles in that photo are something a few guys made up to race with, rather than the ones most racers, including myself, who actually hold the handles behind their back.

We need to do that. Thanks. 👍

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
View attachment 1029155 … …Picked it up from a thrift store about five or so years ago…think I paid maybe 6 to 8 dollars for it??? for it… Ski King was located on San Fernando Rd. in Burbank California and was in business till maybe six or seven years ago…I think???…
…Just noticed something… the price tag is still on it…says I paid seven dollars and 50 Cents for it… View attachment 1029156
Burbank water ski was on San Fernando forever. Closed a few years ago. Was Ski King their brand or something? I've never seen a building with 'Ski King' on it in Burbank.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Burbank water ski was on San Fernando forever. Closed a few years ago. Was Ski King their brand or something? I've never seen a building with 'Ski King' on it in Burbank.

… yes ski king was the brand of ski they manufactured… can’t remember what the signage was on their building but whatever it said it was pretty hard to see???…

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
… yes ski king was the brand of ski they manufactured… can’t remember what the signage was on their building but whatever it said it was pretty hard to see???…
Well, if I can find the old spray guard that I have that was my grandpa's, I can take a picture of the logo on it as it was the same used on the front of the building with Burbank Water Ski under it.

I believe they stopped making Ski King LONG before they closed. I went in there about 10 or 12 years ago now inquiring about some bindings and they had nothing 'Ski King' in there. I just remember because I was looking for more affordable options so I was looking at all the skis and bindings that weren't the really high end brands.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
The real "Ski-King",............so, we were out at Lake Elsinore one time, one of our 1st times just getting into the boating / water skiing scene, this was like 1953 maybe '54, back then there was NO launch ramps like today, ya just found a spot where ya could back your boat down to the water, un-hook the trailer & EVERYBODY "pushed" boat & trailer till the boat floated, then, hooked up the big ass rope & pulled the trailer back onto the beach. So we're all having a grand 'ol time when this HUGE ass boat comes rolling in, I mean HUGE, one of those fishing boat types ya could'a taken to Norway if ya had fuel ! , it's being towed by a brand new Cadillac, an two black guy's, they pull in, turn the rig around an proceed to BACK the boat into the water, backed it in till the exhaust on the caddy was blowing bubbles under water ! an now they have the whole rig stuck in the mud !.......one of our Dad's walked over an asked if they needed a hand,....... so uncle Jess pulls his pickup truck over, hooked that big ass rope to the caddy an all us kids jump onto the back of the truck an start jumping up & down trying to get all the traction we could, FINALLY get that brand new caddy & boat back up onto dry land , that caddy had mud all OVER the front of it, windshield wipers going full blast,....what a MESS!. ...........so we now have the boat in the water, one of the guy's proceeds to BEACH the boat so it won't "float away", goes up to the caddy, get's in the back seat an pulls out two wood planks , that was it, TWO wooden plank's, laid them across the trailer bunk's while the other guy get's in the trunk an pulls out a pair of leather shoes an proceeds to NAIL the shoes to the planks !!!...........by now, we're all thinkin "no way", but. YES way, the guy IS gonna try to get up on his new waterski's !!............they get the boat UN__STUCK from the mud, turned around, the boat driver ties the rope onto the transom , at least they DID have a real ski rope, throw's the handles to his pal who now is just a bit beyond knee deep, the guy grabs the handles an his buddy yells " is you ready Ski-king " ......to which Ski-king holler's back " hit it Jethro ( real name ) an off the boat goes, damn near pulled Ski-king's arms outta the sockets, !!!!!......after about the 3rd try, my Dad walk's over with a pair of our double ski's , get's Ski king back on the beach an proceeds to give him a dry land lesson on how to bend his knees, get the tips up, etc., etc., one of the bigger kid's in our group has now gotten in the boat as an observer and to handle the rope, it took the guy about 6 try's but he DID get up an went forever !!.......back on the beach, Ski-king said he wasn't really gonna go as far as they did, BUT he was afraid to let go, cuz he didn't know how to swim !! , we DID give him one of our "ski belts" along with the ski's....................anyway's, they ended up spending the rest of the day with us, got them both into one of our boats, riding while a couple of us kid's skied on single ski's , by the end of the day they were gonna go to Sear's an get them some REAL ski's & all the gear to continue on their way into the boating world !!.......................never did see them again, always wondered what kinda boat they ended up with !...........