WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water softener or whole house filter?

jailbird141

Reaction score
Looking for input from those who have water softener system or whole house filter system on their house in Havasu. I am trying to decide which route to go with my new construction. I am not much of a fan of the way soft water feels for showering and such but have also heard the water is way to bad in Havasu for a whole house filter system. I was told I would have to change the whole house filter way to often and that it wasn't worth it. Anyway, if anyone has experience with either system with Havasu water I would like to hear the pro's and con's before making a choice. Thanks in advance!

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
have a tank delivered every 6 weeks. I live in Kingman but the water is just as bad as Havasu. I couldn’t live without it only because when you wash your vehicles they come out great as far as water spots. It is worth the money just for that. $30. No filters no bullshit....some peeps may not want the metal can in their backyard but it’s easy to build something to hide it..

jailbird141

Reaction score
have a tank delivered every 6 weeks. I live in Kingman but the water is just as bad as Havasu. I couldn’t live without it only because when you wash your vehicles they come out great as far as water spots. It is worth the money just for that. $30. No filters no bullshit....some peeps may not want the metal can in their backyard but it’s easy to build something to hide it..

So you have a water softener system or whole house filter?

The Prisoner

Reaction score
So you have a water softener system or whole house filter?
Just a water softener tank that’s installed outside to the incoming waterline. Rayne out of bullhead.....not sure if they have a Havasu location but they come to Kingman every Tuesday

The Prisoner

Reaction score
9377BD44-F7A2-47DF-B478-0E177D84857E.jpeg

jailbird141

Reaction score
I have a utility room in the garage that is pre-plumbed for the softener or filter so both will be easily accessible. I am leaning towards the whole house filter but wasn't aware I would have to change filters so often because the water is that bad. I figured I would change them yearly but it sounds like it will be monthly at the least. Hopefully someone with a whole house filter chimes in.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Lifesource whole house filter. Depending on how many people using it they can last 12-15 years.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
How the hell does one tank last you 6 weeks?? :)
We have 3 changed out every 2 weeks. Might be able to change it two tanks now that kids are out of the house. I think we are about $75-80 a month

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I have a utility room in the garage that is pre-plumbed for the softener or filter so both will be easily accessible. I am leaning towards the whole house filter but wasn't aware I would have to change filters so often because the water is that bad. I figured I would change them yearly but it sounds like it will be monthly at the least. Hopefully someone with a whole house filter chimes in.
I installed two BigBlue filters, one sediment filter and one carbon filter. Sediment filter is roughly every 6 months and carbon once a year. It then runs through the softener.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
No whole house filter here but do have a water softener in the garage and next to it the RO system. The Culligan softener came with the house when we bought it 7 years ago and I have done nothing to it but add salt tablets, knock on wood. We came from damn near pure well water in Oregon to Havasu and don't have one problem living with soft water. The RO filters get changed out when it slows down coming out of the spigot on the sink. Never have changed the membrane and I meter it every 3 months.

Last edited:

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Water softener to save the appliances, water fixtures and shower from deposits. RO to the drinking water sink faucet and refrigerator. It's the most simple and common way to do it.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
I want soft water but don’t have a drain or supply loop, anyone local to give me a quote for install and equipment. I have Costco full water treatment coming out tomorrow for quote but leaning toward soft water. I’m in chino hills

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I have a Nuvo H20 whole house filter and it sucks. Don't waste your money on it. I prefer the salt water systems but didn't have the room to install it.