WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water Spot Remover - Black Car

D19

Reaction score
The wind and sprinklers the past couple weeks did a number on my wife's car. I took it to Yorba Linda Car Wash for it's normal wash and noticed a lot of hard water spots. I can't seem to get the spots off. I've tried Hot Sauce and Vinegar. Any tips? Have it clay barred?

samsah33

Reaction score
An old detailer told a while back that you can use distilled or pure water to remove water spots since pure water is corrosive and can dissolve solid minerals (which is why you get hard water and water spots to begin with...). I've never tried it but it might be worth the couple bucks to try... Anyone else hear or try this?

Reactions: D19

SoCalDave

Reaction score
An old detailer told a while back that you can use distilled or pure water to remove water spots since pure water is corrosive and can dissolve solid minerals (which is why you get hard water and water spots to begin with...). I've never tried it but it might be worth the couple bucks to try... Anyone else hear or try this?
Yes that does work somewhat, it is dependent on the severity and how bad it has etched into the paint.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score

Works on boats... The water from your ice chest will pull water spots like a champ!

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Probably worth talking to a detailer or waiting for one to chime in

OR

1622058500520.png

Last edited:

RichieRich

Reaction score
what about Hot Sauce? Works great on the dark boats

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
White vinegar. Full strength. Do it in the shade and be ready to polish and wax after.

D19

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I ordered the Chemical guys and the 3D. I'll try them both.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Dont waste time with vinegar or hot sauce. I had the same problem and neither did anything. This product is legit!! https://www.3dproducts.com/product/eraser-water-spot-remover-16-oz/
Just squeeze the gel on a little special sponge applicator and start rubbing. You can see the spots coming off fairly quick

Your results were 100% opposite of mine. But whatever. vinegar is a buck and most likely in ones pantry. Worked perfect on every black car I’ve had to do it on. All it has to do is desolve the hard water Spots. And since it’s acidic, it does exact what any of those other products will do at 1/20th the cost.

nowski

Reaction score
Here's a song you can listen to while cleaning those spots off...

D19

Reaction score
I've had great luck with this on glass, stainless and chrome, but have never tried it on paint.

thanks. This stuff worked great! I ordered the other brand recommended in the thread too but I haven’t tried it. Anyways I should have enough to last a lifetime. 👍

Reactions: SOD

rrrr

Reaction score
what about Hot Sauce? Works great on the dark boats

White vinegar. Full strength. Do it in the shade and be ready to polish and wax after.

I see reading the OP isn't required to reply to it.

The wind and sprinklers the past couple weeks did a number on my wife's car. I took it to Yorba Linda Car Wash for it's normal wash and noticed a lot of hard water spots. I can't seem to get the spots off. I've tried Hot Sauce and Vinegar. Any tips? Have it clay barred?

Reactions: D19

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE FAILS, This is the only solution to burned in water spots. it requires use of a "rotary" not "dual action" but ROTARY!! buffer with a wool pad to cut in and get the spots out.
it is also the best oxidation remover out there, when your done using this, use one of the so called boating "Vinegar based" spray on water spot removers :rolleyes: on a clean wool pad to remove the remaining compound. this beaks down from a compound to a polish as you use it so you can go straight to wax once you get it all out. There is no easy way out or miracle cure for burned in water spots (paint surface is already destroyed at that point) it requires hard labor and knowledge of how to use a buffer to get this done right.
MEQUIARS.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
I've had good luck with the Mequiars products. They also make a water spot remover if you wanted to try that. I've seen several paint jobs ruined as people get after it with a high speed buffer and compound. If you go that route, be careful as you'll burn through the clear pretty quickly.

707dog

Reaction score
WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE FAILS, This is the only solution to burned in water spots. it requires use of a "rotary" not "dual action" but ROTARY!! buffer with a wool pad to cut in and get the spots out.
it is also the best oxidation remover out there, when your done using this, use one of the so called boating "Vinegar based" spray on water spot removers :rolleyes: on a clean wool pad to remove the remaining compound. this beaks down from a compound to a polish as you use it so you can go straight to wax once you get it all out. There is no easy way out or miracle cure for burned in water spots (paint surface is already destroyed at that point) it requires hard labor and knowledge of how to use a buffer to get this done right.
View attachment 1025984
Yup pretty much what iv been doing with my boats and vehicles for a long time i also spray a little Detail spray when the compound starts to dry and keep it cutting never any swirls or angels hairs when done(2forceful showed me that trick)
20210622_173815.jpg
. a few weeks ago was letting the kid take a rip at polishing the turd he figured out in 5 mins why it takes a couple days.

Yldboyz

Reaction score
Clay bar and wax has never given me a problem. Comes out super clean.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Yup pretty much what iv been doing with my boats and vehicles for a long time i also spray a little Detail spray when the compound starts to dry and keep it cutting never any swirls or angels hairs when done(2forceful showed me that trick). a few weeks ago was letting the kid take a rip at polishing the turd he figured out in 5 mins why it takes a couple days.
yea after I showed him how, then he ran home to make a video of the process and post it the next day...LAM and taking credit for it :rolleyes:, still chaps my hide 10 or so years later:(

707dog

Reaction score
yea after I showed him how, then he ran home to make a video of the process and post it the next day...LAM and taking credit for it :rolleyes:, still chaps my hide 10 or so years later:(
🤦Well I surely appreciate you showing him that 🍻cause it does work great and I get the finish i want

traquer

Reaction score
Get some ultimate compound. Should be enough on a DA polisher.