WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water stream cold, warm or hot?

Water Romper

Reaction score
I was running the 250 Merc today, Ear muffs and garden hose to get the Staybil through the system for storage and noticed the water "peeing" was getting pretty warm....is this normal? I also noticed the stream was not very strong. compared to my "other" 200 Merc.....Impeller replacement time I'm sure but is the water getting hot an additional concern other than the impeller? BTW...I shut t off after a few minutes... Thanks

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
Water being pretty hot coming out is quite normal. Also when you’re on the hose usually not producing much pressure so a strong stream is unlikely. Impeller is always cheap insurance.

stoker2001

Reaction score
don't think you can get warm enough on flusher for thermostats to open..the "tell tail pisser" is upstream from thermos I believe

Water Romper

Reaction score
....and speaking of impellers...you guys replace your own or just pony up and pay a mechanic? I have replaced them years ago as well as have a "pro" do it but now a days, I'm thinking do it myself....maybe once a year, after winter storage (along with the gear oil) a couple hrs labor, less than 100 bucks and call it good.

Will there be a big difference between the 1990 150 Blk Max i have worked on and the 1992 250 Blk Max? the 250 is new to me so I am in uncharted territory.

Thanks!!

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
I do my own, impellers are not that difficult with the Mercury. The process will be the same as the 1990 150, might even take the same pump rebuild kit.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
don't think you can get warm enough on flusher for thermostats to open..the "tell tail pisser" is upstream from thermos I believe
Not too sure on his engine but the 2.4's and 2.5's the thermostats are the last thing inline before the pisser. When the thermostats are closed, the poppet valve will open and dump the water out through the exhaust.