WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Waterproofing seat risers with Flex Seal?

H8Plow

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using Flex Seal as a waterproofing agent instead of resin for their seat risers? I had to rebuild my rear bench seat riser because the original was completely destroyed from water damage. I was thinking along the lines of how rhino lining works and thought since you don’t see this anyways it would be a win win situation. Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Attachments

• EE8AE0C9-BC12-457B-81BE-8547AB683585.jpeg
    EE8AE0C9-BC12-457B-81BE-8547AB683585.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 2C1CAE3F-033C-4E58-8E0D-81445DE365BC.jpeg
    2C1CAE3F-033C-4E58-8E0D-81445DE365BC.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 147

Cole Canadian

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using Flex Seal as a waterproofing agent instead of resin for their seat risers? I had to rebuild my rear bench seat riser because the original was completely destroyed from water damage. I was thinking along the lines of how rhino lining works and thought since you don’t see this anyways it would be a win win situation. Let me know your thoughts, thanks.
Haven't used the product for that purpose, but think it would develop cracks and separate with time.
Planning on replacing some on an older boat using 1/2in polyethylene puck board and composite lumber at some point this year. Will outlast the hull ;) 🍻

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I did some panel and seat parts replacement on my Cobalt this off season and used High Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE). Pro's are it's never affected by water, strong structurally and will out live you. Con's are weight (may not be an issue depending on boat), cost, and nut/bolt assembly hardware vs. nails and screws. It's available through McMaster Carr in various colors, sizes and thicknesses.

In answer to your original question, I think the flex seal will work just as well but may not look as good. I know it's a hidden area but I would know my seat risers looked like they were coated in dripping rubber and that wouldn't work for me, lol.

1fastsedan

Reaction score
I used marine plywood to build mine and resined the inside and shot the outside with gel. You can see the process in my build.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
I would be worried that once you encapsulated the wood any moisture that did get in through screw holes would not be able to get out. Kind of like when builders were painting the “TREX” decking and it rotted out in a few years.

H8Plow

Reaction score
I ended up coating it all with 2 coats of resin. Only downside to doing this, is that it is hard on a staple gun when you go about putting the vinyl on. The staple gun I found that was the best was the Dewalt carbon fiber T50.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I’m sure flex seal will work.

I used a waterproof deck sealant from Home Depot in 2005, and soaked the wood before, and during assembly.