WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Waterski Repair

rivergames

Reaction score
I thought RDP has a Waterski section???

Anyways, I have a Maha Longboard Race Ski that has a good chunk taken outta the front edge of the nose. What is a really good epoxy filled product to use that will fill the missing chunk out of the wood and then be sanded down so I can adhere a vinyl wrap over the ski?

rivergames

Reaction score
This stuff might work well

1706910979347.png

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

Anyways, I have a Maha Longboard Race Ski that has a good chunk taken outta the front edge of the nose. What is a really good epoxy filled product to use that will fill the missing chunk out of the wood and then be sanded down so I can adhere a vinyl wrap over the ski?

JB Weld makes a great wood epoxy. Never used it on a ski but facia boards, door mouldings, ect. And have never had an issue even in the elements.

Ultra...Good

Reaction score

hallett21

Reaction score
Kyle was telling me about a “high end” bondo they use for filler that will stand up to being on the bottom of a boat. I think he said you could lay it pretty thin or thick if needed.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Mix up some west system epoxy thickened up with cabosil (fumed silica). By far the strongest shit you can make.

Backlash

Reaction score
You could always clean up the damaged portion and trim a plug to fit into place. Use a two part epoxy to bond the plug in place, then refinish that area. When you put the wrap over the ski, you may not even notice the repair. 👍

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
…This..,👍
X2. I used this method to replace the Bondo covering the fin base on by Grant Torrens race ski back in the late 80's. The ski has a recessed fin and the Bondo had a habit of cracking loose on the leading edge and if a chunk broke off..... Big crash. It's been perfect for over 30 years (although most of the last 15 the ski's been sitting in the house).

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Thank you for the updates guys! I'm going to give her the @Racey treatment!
… that’s the one… For real…

… I couldn’t find cabasil on the Internet now .. But that is what we initially used 40 years ago… there was another one from West systems that we also used… But I can’t find that one now either…I don’t exactly remember the name… Might want to call thr Googian Brothers to get a clarification before you just randomly start mixing shit up…

Last edited:

rivergames

Reaction score
… that’s the one… For real…

… I couldn’t find cabasil on the Internet now .. But that is what we initially used 40 years ago… there was another one from West systems that we also used… But I can’t find that one now either…I don’t exactly remember the name… Might want to call thr Googian Brothers to get a clarification before you just randomly start mixing shit up…
Amazon is your friend 🤣

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Thank you for the updates guys! I'm going to give her the @Racey treatment!

105 resin and this time of year use the fast hardener (I can't remember what number it is, they make a extra slow, a slow, fast, and special clear 207) use the fast.

They also make a microlight fairing compound, it's a powder like cabosil but much easier to sand, you can mix some of this to "body work" the end if you are going to paint.

Cabosil is hard to sand, it's glass. But this is why it's so strong.

Oh and buy the stuff with the pumps, it's so much easier to get the mixture right, the pumps are sized so it's pump for pump hardener for resin.

Mix the resin up with the hardener then keep adding and mixing filler until you reach your desired consistency.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Can’t see repair. Super glue and saw dust or baking soda. $1.385

rivergames

Reaction score
Got bored and pulled the bindings off the ski. With a little heat and A razor blade, pulled off the graphics. Nose was F'd up when I bought this ski years back. I had some old repairs. I've done 3 Catalina races on it so far and she still holds up. Some of whatever product I used a long time ago was soft and ready to be stripped off. The marine text is holding up great.

I ordered the cabosil filler. I already have the 2 part West Systems at my race shop.

For the next week after work and weekend, I'll be thrashing on our Alcohol Flatty and Crackerbox. Hopefully I'll get back to this next week.
20240205_194755.jpg
20240205_194806.jpg
20240205_194930.jpg
20240205_194939.jpg
20240205_194955.jpg
20240205_195047.jpg
20240205_195136.jpg
20240205_195546.jpg
20240205_195620.jpg
20240205_200124.jpg
20240205_200139.jpg
20240205_200144.jpg
20240205_201128.jpg
20240205_201140.jpg
20240205_203505.jpg
20240205_203531.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Looking at the damage along the edges, I'm wondering if you could take a "Round-over" router bit and even things up? You would have to taper the rounded edge as it goes down from the top of the ski to the middle of the ski, but that would surely give you a consistent edge. Once you cleaned up the edges, you could go back and fill in any low spots with your epoxy/cabosil mixture.

I'm no expert, but that's probably how I would tackle a restoration like this.

Either way, I'm stoked you've started this thread and I can't wait to see how this turns out!! 👍

rivergames

Reaction score
Looking at the damage along the edges, I'm wondering if you could take a "Round-over" router bit and even things up? You would have to taper the rounded edge as it goes down from the top of the ski to the middle of the ski, but that would surely give you a consistent edge. Once you cleaned up the edges, you could go back and fill in any low spots with your epoxy/cabosil mixture.

I'm no expert, but that's probably how I would tackle a restoration like this.

Either way, I'm stoked you've started this thread and I can't wait to see how this turns out!! 👍

Seams like a good idea, but after watching the video above of Mr. Maha himself, he doesn't like taking material away from his skis. I'm just going to figure out how to shape the epoxy filler material to resemble how the shape of the ski looked originally....I hope...

Or I'm going to shank it completely and end up switching my race bindings over to one of my other Maha Race skis I have at the river 😅

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
105 resin and this time of year use the fast hardener (I can't remember what number it is, they make a extra slow, a slow, fast, and special clear 207) use the fast.

They also make a microlight fairing compound, it's a powder like cabosil but much easier to sand, you can mix some of this to "body work" the end if you are going to paint.

Cabosil is hard to sand, it's glass. But this is why it's so strong.

Oh and buy the stuff with the pumps, it's so much easier to get the mixture right, the pumps are sized so it's pump for pump hardener for resin.

Mix the resin up with the hardener then keep adding and mixing filler until you reach your desired consistency.

… the only thing I would add to this is with a throwaway brush, clean the damaged area, thoroughly with lacquer thinner… let it completely dry… who knows what’s gotten inside there after all these years…

… having worked on many many old wooden yachts, we never had a West system fix fail…👍

Backlash

Reaction score
Seams like a good idea, but after watching the video above of Mr. Maha himself, he doesn't like taking material away from his skis. I'm just going to figure out how to shape the epoxy filler material to resemble how the shape of the ski looked originally....I hope...

Or I'm going to shank it completely and end up switching my race bindings over to one of my other Maha Race skis I have at the river 😅
I sent you a PM. 😉

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
… I actually tried West Systems and sawdust once… Bad idea, very weak😳
I use superglue and sanding sawdust or soda to repair cabinet hinges that have pulled out and repairs to basketball court floors.
Ty a little pile of soda, saturate it with super glue. Shot of accelerator if you have it. Hard as a rock acrylic repair. For about a buck three eighty five$.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Kyle was telling me about a “high end” bondo they use for filler that will stand up to being on the bottom of a boat. I think he said you could lay it pretty thin or thick if needed.
Kitty hair?

rivergames

Reaction score
My plan: Clean wood multiple times and let it dry. Get a 5' strip of thin gauge 2" metal. Wax it up and clamp it around the ski. Pack the West Systems/Cabosil in and smooth it with a paint scraper. Hopefully that won't require too much sanding.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I use superglue and sanding sawdust or soda to repair cabinet hinges that have pulled out and repairs to basketball court floors.
Ty a little pile of soda, saturate it with super glue. Shot of accelerator if you have it. Hard as a rock acrylic repair. For about a buck three eighty five$.
… I get it… The majority of West systems, epoxy repairs, that I did a were on Ocean, going boats and lake boats… and then I started using it on my house..,they all needed super strength… maybe the house not so much …resin, hardener and colonial silica as a thickener… if you were filling in some thing… then microspheres and early on micro balloons, if you needed a sandable finished painted surface…
… we used Cabosil in the beginning, but then realized …that should there be a failure, West systems would not stand behind their product unless we were using all West systems ingredients… this never became an issue, because nothing ever failed with another manufacturers Cabosil or with strictly West systems products…🤷🏽‍♀️… West Systems… The savior of old wooden boats👍

… we would only use two component epoxy, never a single component anything, and never polyester… As West systems …epoxy will chemically bond to polyester… But polyester will not bond to epoxy… never knew of anybody till now who used something acrylic🤷🏽‍♀️
… what did you use for an accelorator for the crazy glue???…
… I can’t count the number of times I unintentionally glued my fingers together with crazy glue🤷🏽‍♀️

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
… I get it… The majority of West systems, epoxy repairs, that I did a were on Ocean, going boats and lake boats… and then I started using it on my house..,they all needed super strength… maybe the house not so much …resin, hardener and colonial silica as a thickener… if you were filling in some thing… then microspheres and early on micro balloons, if you needed a sandable finished painted surface…
… we used Cabosil in the beginning, but then realized …that should there be a failure, West systems would not stand behind their product unless we were using all West systems ingredients… this never became an issue, because nothing ever failed with another manufacturers Cabosil or with strictly West systems products…🤷🏽‍♀️… West Systems… The savior of old wooden boats👍

… we would only use two component epoxy, never a single component anything, and never polyester… As West systems …epoxy will chemically bond to polyester… But polyester will not bond to epoxy… never knew of anybody till now who used something acrylic🤷🏽‍♀️
… what did you use for an accelorator for the crazy glue???…
… I can’t count the number of times I unintentionally glued my fingers together with crazy glue🤷🏽‍♀️
I’m not sure what the accelerator is. Since superglue is a moisture cure ( that’s why your fingers glue so fast) I’ve probably been buying little bottles of water for $6.99 lol. It probably has alcohol in it too. The baking soda mixes with the cyanate glue to form a polymer chain.
If you need the fix something and need gap filling properties try it. Obviously not going to build a boat with it though! Lol

ArcadiaBrad

Reaction score
"Get a 5' strip of thin gauge 2" metal. Wax it up and clamp it around the ski" I've tried this method, and you are better off using aerosol spray mold release than the wax.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
I've used the West Systems 404 adhesive filler before for filling areas that will be under stress, don't know how it compares strength-wise to the colloidal fillers.

Be sure to brush un-thickened (but catalyzed) epoxy on the bare wood first, then the thickened epoxy. It needs a chance to be absorbed into the wood, the thickened mixture won't have what it takes.

rivergames

Reaction score
"Get a 5' strip of thin gauge 2" metal. Wax it up and clamp it around the ski" I've tried this method, and you are better off using aerosol spray mold release than the wax.
Something like this?
1707258642234.png

rivergames

Reaction score
I've used the West Systems 404 adhesive filler before for filling areas that will be under stress, don't know how it compares strength-wise to the colloidal fillers.

Be sure to brush un-thickened (but catalyzed) epoxy on the bare wood first, then the thickened epoxy. It needs a chance to be absorbed into the wood, the thickened mixture won't have what it takes.
I will definitely saturate the wood with epoxy prior to using the filler material.

I will have 1 mixing bowl of west systems epoxy and the other bowl with the west systems epoxy and the filler.

Reactions: Maw

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score

…This…

rivergames

Reaction score
The epoxy will not bond to clear packing tape either, so you can just put strips of clear packing tape on the metal if that is easier for you.

Carnuba wax works well too.
No Shit???? I never would have guessed. Sticky side on the metal and epoxy really won't adhere to the non sticky side?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
No Shit???? I never would have guessed. Sticky side on the metal and epoxy really won't adhere to the non sticky side?

Yep, won't stick at all. Peels right off. 🤙

Also that White/Black PVC protective wrap is the same, the stuff you put on your boat when working on it, or that comes on sheet stainless to protect it. I've personally used both.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I'd just get a big roundover bit in a router and run it around that tip to clean it up....then repaint, and be nicer to in the future.

rivergames

Reaction score
Finally Finished up my race ski a few weeks ago.

Took time, but turned out pretty Bitchen. Keep in mind, this is my race ski... I wasn't looking for up-close perfection, just 10+' perfection ;-)

Laid down a few layers of packing tape over card board and clamped them on the sides of the ski. Also shaped out a little wooden nose mold
1720653106846.png

1720653125219.png

Used the CAB-S-SIL with the West System's and it worked great! Just add enough CAB-O-SIL to the desired consistency and mix her up well. Wear A Mask!
1720653163010.png

1720653181895.png

1720653196787.png

1720653211144.png

1720653234714.png

1720653247103.png

1720653256589.png

Laid Down a Layer of a Carbon Fiber Wrap

1720653291151.png

Taped off how I want the orange tip to transition

1720653328133.png

Then Picked up some Orange Additive and mixed it with the West Systems and applied a few coats.

1720653370367.png

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Mix up some west system epoxy thickened up with cabosil (fumed silica). By far the strongest shit you can make.
This is exactly what I would use, and I do this stuff a bunch, you can order “cabosil” on Amazon for cheap. A 16 oz container will last you a long time. Mix it up to a thick paste, wear a dust mask. It stands up against gravity and will not sag. When you mix, spread it thin on the walls of your cup and it will give you more working time in your repair. If you leave it in a mass, it will go off quick. I’m about to use some right now for smoothing a repair. It’s formable to shapes and contours, sandable and strong as shit when cured, even has some flexibility when the repair is thin.

Ha I didn’t read the whole thread until after I posted, looks 👍

rivergames

Reaction score
This is exactly what I would use, and I do this stuff a bunch, you can order “cabosil” on Amazon for cheap. A 16 oz container will last you a long time. Mix it up to a thick paste, wear a dust mask. It stands up against gravity and will not sag. When you mix, spread it thin on the walls of your cup and it will give you more working time in your repair. If you leave it in a mass, it will go off quick. I’m about to use some right now for smoothing a repair. It’s formable to shapes and contours, sandable and strong as shit when cured, even has some flexibility when the repair is thin.

Ha I didn’t read the whole thread until after I posted, looks 👍
It really was a GREAT product to work with! Probably stronger than the wood on the ski!