WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wayside Dave RIP

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Some of you might know this already and some of you don’t even know who this guy is. Wayside Dave was killed offroading while setting up his poker run yesterday. This was a favorite event of his and talked about it non stop. Wayside Dave hosted a Saturday ride for our annual Alamo lake trip. This year we really got to know him and find out more about his life, hobbies, and character. Wayside Dave was a full time engineer in Phoenix and worked the wayside on the weekends. He was extremely hard working and was going a million miles a minute. No challenge was too big for him. His rv Park was a huge success and it was still being run on diesel generators 24 hours a day 365 days a year. If you do the peace trail you need to get fuel at this rv Park so huge for that too. Awesome breakfast and friendly staff! His wife and kids shared his sense of andventure and hard work ethic! I’m torn that he is gone. I considered him a good friend even tho we only saw each other once a year. We did talk and text from time to time about guns and offroading. He is also a lake havasu boater with a big sleek craft and a even bigger motor he custom built by himself. He wanted to buy a house in havasu too. I know Stacy was helping there. Those of you who have met him know he will give you the shirt off his back and more. Nicest guy you will ever meet. I know his family is suffering and I wish I could help in some way. I’ll have to see what I can do. RIP brother, say hi to my dad for me.
EFC79FE8-37DF-43A7-A900-1FB5E072B5B7.png

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this

DLC

Reaction score
Wayside Dave is just one of the Good Guys, His zest for life, work ethic and his great smile draws people in and generally just want to hang out with him! He is always on an adventure. I 2nd that he is the nicest guy you’ll ever meet! Also to pass away on a leap day 2/29 is another difficult obstacle to tackle for the family.

I sure hope the family can keep The WaySide Oasis going with the loss of Dave. That in itself is a very difficult task !

my heart goes out to the family and friends, such a huge loss! Wayside Dave will be Missed for a very very long time!

@Bpracing1127 - Ian what a great write up! Thank you for the call yesterday. What a sad day!

RIP Wayside Dave

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Met Dave when we had lunch at the Wayside a week after his last year's Poker Run. Great guy and very happy to give us off-road info for the area. He will be missed by many. May he RIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: DLC

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My heart sank when I heard this news yesterday. Great write up Ian.

Dave was truly living his dream. When I talked to him he told me the story of how he camped at Wayside with his parents as a kid and fell in love with the place. It was his dream to bring his vision of what the place could be to life. He had big plans and was well on his way to that end.

RIP Wayside Dave, and my heart goes out to his family.

gqchris

Reaction score
WTF! I cant believe just reading this Ian. My heart is heavy.

Dave was so cordial to us. He was so accommodating. I pray for Laura and his daughters and everyone else he touched.

This is crazy. 😢

RIP buddy.

Last edited:

teded

Reaction score
After the tragedy the Wayside oasis family and crew made sure the poker run was a success.
You know Dave would have wanted it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DLC

Reaction score
After the tragedy the Wayside oasis family and crew made sure the poker run was a success.
You know Dave would have wanted it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is Great news after a sad day!

if anyone is out there, is there any news of what actually happened ? What type of accident was it?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I still can’t believe it. My heart aches for Laura and his daughters..

As others have said he was a really unique & exceptionally driven man. I was really impressed with our conversations we had this last trip, and we had made plans to hang out this summer in Havasu.

The world lost someone special Last weekend. He will he missed.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That is Great news after a sad day!

if anyone is out there, is there any news of what actually happened ? What type of accident was it?

The only thing I have read is that he was outside of his can am, and some how it killed him? I’m not sure how that happens, but have been more than a little curious as to what happened myself. As we all know Dave was extremely capable/talented/ and knowledgeable about off-roading.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
There wasn't much detail given for obvious reasons when they made the announcement after the run.
He had gone out ahead of all of us after the driver's meeting and somehow tipped over. The only detail given was he unfortunately tried to stop the sxs from going over and it came down on him.
I'm sure as time goes on more information will be shared.

gqchris

Reaction score
The only thing I have read is that he was outside of his can am, and some how it killed him? I’m not sure how that happens, but have been more than a little curious as to what happened myself. As we all know Dave was extremely capable/talented/ and knowledgeable about off-roading.

Thanks Dave for touching on it also. Owning an X3 also like Dave and RD, I looked up also to Wayside Dave and very capable and almost a “McGyver” when we saw him there and his offroading and recovery skills were something I took notice of. Hearing that his car somehow caused this is just shocking.

He was very proud of the rock canyon and technical section that he stated he “created” and cut those trails in. It was pretty technical, and Im hoping that it was not this area that he experienced trouble in.

Please let us know how we can help and I will gladly donate to Laura and family. :(

rickym20

Reaction score
RIP . Sad deal and feel for the Family.

Havasteve

Reaction score
Wow that’s terrible. My favorite place to fly in for chow. glad to have met Dave. Hope someone keeps it going.

DWC

Reaction score
Absolutely heart breaking. Smart, driven, talented family man. I don’t think i saw him sit down the entire weekend. The guys work ethic was tireless. I’ll never forget him trying to find a route across the river. Went until he got beyond stuck and then ran the equivalent of a tough mudder to get himself out.
He’ll absolutely be missed. Let us know if there’s anything we can do.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Just posted on their FB. So sad and what a freak accident. Sent them a PM to see if they are planning to have fuel pumps active next Saturday as we are planning to ride through there on the Peace Trail...

From FB:
David Orr lost his life on Saturday doing what he does best: creating a Poker Run route that would provide the public with a beautiful scenic ride through our beautiful desert. He had doubt about one last turnoff and wanted to be sure a turn was not missed so he and his dad got out of the vehicle to place a log across the road and add a marker. As Dave was hammering the marker into the ground, the Outlaw started to roll down the embankment. Dave's instinct was to run after it. Outlaw picked up speed, hit a tree stump, and flipped backwards. Unfortunately, Dave was in its path. He was killed almost instantly, but felt no pain. This was a true accident. No speed involved. No reckless driving. Just a man in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The outpouring of love and support we have received through this trying time has been amazing. Your stories and pictures are soothing. Your generous donations have been appreciated.
I would like to invite you to join us for a Celebration of Life on March 14 to remember him as he would like to remembered: a wild spirit, with a love for fishing, a love for riding and a love for his family. This will be an all day thing so come camp with us. Bring a potluck dish to share as well as your stories and pictures. Enjoy this weekend camping with your famiyl
**Wayside will be closed so please plan on dry camping in the desert or on the runway, and bring your own meals.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just heart broken over this deal.. He was a great guy.

Any details of the funeral arrangements?

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
All I've seen is the celebration of life listed above.

Rpicou923

Reaction score
Just heart broken over this deal.. He was a great guy.

Any details of the funeral arrangements?
Hey guys, so Wayside Dave is my older brother. I cannot tell you how much it has meant to the family to see all of these people talk about how great a person my brother was. I did not even know he was known by all of you.

We did the Celebration of Life there at the Wayside in March, but the funeral has been postponed due to Covid. The Wayside is still operational and will continue to be ran by his Wife, Laura. Can't wait to see you all in the Winter there.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Truly a tragic loss. Heartwarming to know so many people thought so highly of him.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Hey guys, so Wayside Dave is my older brother. I cannot tell you how much it has meant to the family to see all of these people talk about how great a person my brother was. I did not even know he was known by all of you.

We did the Celebration of Life there at the Wayside in March, but the funeral has been postponed due to Covid. The Wayside is still operational and will continue to be ran by his Wife, Laura. Can't wait to see you all in the Winter there.

How is your father doing?

Rpicou923

Reaction score
How is your father doing?
Well as anyone who is a father can understand, having to bury one of your children is never what any of us wanted. His father was with him when it all happened, so it was incredible tough for him. We all are trying to do what he would have wanted us all to do. David was someone that lived life to its fullest.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Well as anyone who is a father can understand, having to bury one of your children is never what any of us wanted. His father was with him when it all happened, so it was incredible tough for him. We all are trying to do what he would have wanted us all to do. David was someone that lived life to its fullest.

Unfortunately I'm too familiar with that myself.
I was asking because the announcement at the run mentioned he had suffered a medical emergency also.
There is just never any adequate words of condolence for these situations.

DLC

Reaction score
Hello & thank you for replying to the thread!

As you already know, Dave was one of the good guys! He was the cream that always rises to the top! His personality drew you towards him, I have only spoken to him maybe 10-15 times In 2 years but he was a friend, a guy you could count on! Those type of people are really rare in this day!

I am sorry for your loss and wish Laura and your family all the strength to get thru this Terrible time!
If there is anything we can do to help out, please let us know. RDP is loaded with like minded good people!

I am looking towards winter to get back out to the Wayside, our last trip was fantastic! band was kicking ass and the drinks were icy cold!

Rpicou923

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm too familiar with that myself.
I was asking because the announcement at the run mentioned he had suffered a medical emergency also.
There is just never any adequate words of condolence for these situations.
No, Jeff (His father) is ok with no medical issues. It was just a very bad day for him and all of us.

I had no idea how loved and admired my brother was, especially by so many. If any of you are in Havasu a lot (Or live in Southern California), I would love to grab a beer and hear the stories (Feel free to shoot me a message). Knowing my brother, everyone has a crazy story or two with him! It is a favorite past time in our family to re-tell all of the stories, he was a truly unique person with a thirst for life that was unrivaled. His ability to MacGyver, or as we always say, "Just Dave Orr it!" was legendary. I will be in Havasu the weekend of August 21st. Most of the family is here in Southern California (Inland Empire) and Dave & Laura were in PHX, so Havasu and Bullhead is where we would all meet all the time to enjoy the lakes and Colorado River that Dave and the rest of us grew up on. Something we are passing on to all of our kids.

gqchris

Reaction score
No, Jeff (His father) is ok with no medical issues. It was just a very bad day for him and all of us.

I had no idea how loved and admired my brother was, especially by so many. If any of you are in Havasu a lot (Or live in Southern California), I would love to grab a beer and hear the stories (Feel free to shoot me a message). Knowing my brother, everyone has a crazy story or two with him! It is a favorite past time in our family to re-tell all of the stories, he was a truly unique person with a thirst for life that was unrivaled. His ability to MacGyver, or as we always say, "Just Dave Orr it!" was legendary. I will be in Havasu the weekend of August 21st. Most of the family is here in Southern California (Inland Empire) and Dave & Laura were in PHX, so Havasu and Bullhead is where we would all meet all the time to enjoy the lakes and Colorado River that Dave and the rest of us grew up on. Something we are passing on to all of our kids.

I only got to meet Dave and hang out during our last trip as group last year, but his impression has lasted on me longer. I saw a hard working, family man that was driven and just very likable! I was so excited when he pulled up with the trailer with 91 Premium fuel and I didn't have to test my octane booster! LOL......we all lined up, eager to pay whatever he asked. And guess what? His price was FAIR and he even pumped it for us!

I miss that little oasis out there. HE really setup something special. Had a blast at night. Beers went down so smooth. Prices again were great and just had a blast. My heart aches as I think of Laura and his daughters that I met. I forgot his oldest daughters name, but her eye for photography was amazing. RD and I kept showing people the amazing pics she captured of everyday things.

I am wearing my Wayside Tshirt today in honor of Dave.

@Rpicou923 Here is a little video of how Dave had an impact on people. This was my pics of the trip and I hope you enjoy the glimpses of your brother and the way he made the world a much better place.