WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Welcome boys and girls

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score
I'm working on all that. Getting use to the site. I own a 388 slingshot with 850s. # 6 drives. She's been on lake Ontario since birth. 2002. I redid her 2009. I see she might be big for the river, my wife reads the site also and loves the boats you all show. Grand kids and deck boats is what I here from here now. LHC is our goal.

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score
I also read that havasu, powel, lake tahoe get rough. How rough can they get? Your land locked. Yes, boat wakes, but I'm not seeing big water that could even come close to a great lake. Do wanna down size, but what is the big boat standard for you all?

Backlash

Reaction score
Our friends have a 388 as well, and take it on Havasu and the Parker Strip. Not a ski boat by any means but hey, it sure gives a smooth ride when the holiday weekends come around! :D

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score
Our friends have a 388 as well, and take it on Havasu and the Parker Strip. Not a ski boat by any means but hey, it sure gives a smooth ride when the holiday weekends come around! :D
What are marina fees out there in general. Do marinas have dry docking out there? I don't want to down size with the boat. I do read about a lot of no wake zones. My boat doesn't like them. I see I also am going to have to learn about water levels. Is this due to the dams?

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Marina fees are best buying yearly pass not too bad if you go often
Dry docking is a option but heat and wind and blowing sand will kill your boat out here best to get a house with boat deep garage there are plenty in havasu bullhead area or a storage unit
Lakes out here can get blown out but nothing your boat won't handle
Lakes are river level regulated but there is info on what time and how much water is released
Enjoy the madness

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score
Dry docking is a option but heat and wind and blowing sand will kill your boat out here best to get a house with boat deep garage there are plenty in havasu bullhead area or a storage unit
Lakes are river level regulated but there is info on what time and how much water is released
Enjoy the madness
Thank you. Your info is much needed. East coast- west coast. I'm trying to explain all this to the wife. Let's not forget the rattle snakes either. She read those threads. Oh boy!

Reactions: DWC

JD D05

Reaction score
I also read that havasu, powel, lake tahoe get rough. How rough can they get? Your land locked. Yes, boat wakes, but I'm not seeing big water that could even come close to a great lake. Do wanna down size, but what is the big boat standard for you all?

My good friend I go to Powell with has a 388. Nothing Powell has is a problem for it.

JD D05

Reaction score
Your correct. Our snowmobile season is longer than our boating season. I live in the snowiest city in the country. Syracuse ny.

Bring the snowmobile West....I can show you some real shit ha.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
;)It's not the snakes
It's the lake lice and roll bar boats that are more deadly
:confused:

rvrrun

Reaction score
Thank you. Your info is much needed. East coast- west coast. I'm trying to explain all this to the wife. Let's not forget the rattle snakes either. She read those threads. Oh boy!
I’m not saying they aren’t here, but I’ve never encountered one. A couple weeks ago, the kids went scorpion hunting around the yard and came up empty on those.

Beavers, on the other hand...

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
What are marina fees out there in general. Do marinas have dry docking out there? I don't want to down size with the boat. I do read about a lot of no wake zones. My boat doesn't like them. I see I also am going to have to learn about water levels. Is this due to the dams?

Welcome to the site! The 388 will be great on any of the Colorado River Lakes, Havasu, Mojave, Mead, & Powell.
But for Havasu the Marina has a 32' limit on boat slips. You will be able to launch and retrive at Windsor or Cat Tail Cove, but will have to pull the boat out every night.
I used to have a 35' Fountain and loved it for the lake, but not having a slip eventually got to me.
PS the lake level at Havasu is different from the other Colorado river lakes, in that it only varies by 2-3'.
Dave

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I retire end of July. 32 years at General Motors. Engineer for the frame rails, skins and fuel delivery for there truck line. I can usually answer any ??s about there trucks and suv,s, but motors were not what I dealt with. I can tell you Chevy guys, that 90 percent of the components in there motors are not American made. Food for thought there if anyone ever wondered. Kinda sad, but true.

Tank

Reaction score
The 388 Slingshot's a great boat. Even better with big power and 6's! Havasu won't get rough enough EVER to worry about running a 38' boat with 6's on it. I would agree with the above, Parker is too small for a 38' boat. Is more of a PITA to run there than fun in a boat that size. Did I see you're moving to California? Where abouts? Sorry if I missed that.

You got a pic of your boat? Who built the motors?

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I retire end of July. 32 years at General Motors. Engineer for the frame rails, skins and fuel delivery for there truck line. I can usually answer any ??s about there trucks and suv,s, but motors were not what I dealt with. I can tell you Chevy guys, that 90 percent of the components in there motors are not American made. Food for thought there if anyone ever wondered. Kinda sad, but true.
Have you been to LHC yet, before?

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Your correct. Our snowmobile season is longer than our boating season. I live in the snowiest city in the country. Syracuse ny.

Welcome to the site. That is where I grew up. Lived on and boated Oneida Lake. Parents and brother still live there. Your boat will be fine on Havasu. If you boat daily you may be picking up another boat.

Backlash

Reaction score
The 388 Slingshot's a great boat. Even better with big power and 6's! Havasu won't get rough enough EVER to worry about running a 38' boat with 6's on it. I would agree with the above, Parker is too small for a 38' boat. Is more of a PITA to run there than fun in a boat that size. Did I see you're moving to California? Where abouts? Sorry if I missed that.

Brother you better hope I never win the lotto! I'll be cruising the Parker Strip in a 47' Apache if I do! :D

rrrr

Reaction score
Enjoy your retirement!

Backlash

Reaction score
Screenshot_20180715-202218_Gallery.jpg

It'll fit! :D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Have you folks ever been to Havasu in the summer?
There are days the humidity is in the single digits while the temps are in the triple digits.
One year we were there it was 127 degrees.
You might want to consider coming out for a week or renting for a month before committing to moving all the way across the country.
Granted the really really stupid hot is only a few days/weeks, but it usually hits 100 5 months or more of the year.
Sometimes it gets a little breezy there too:D

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
A 388 with 850's is a dream boat of mine. I've had a pic of a 388 hanging in my garage since 2004. My family is from Long Island and if you need any help around here just let me know because I'm kind of a big wig.;):cool: And by Big Wig I mean Moderator.

Reactions: DWC

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
A 388 with 850's is a dream boat of mine. I've had a pic of a 388 hanging in my garage since 2004. My family is from Long Island and if you need any help around here just let me know because I'm kind of a big wig.;):cool: And by Big Wig I mean Moderator.
That explains a lot.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Enjoy the madness

Where is dry docking an option out here? (I haven’t seen that?)

707dog

Reaction score
welcome congrats on the retirement... do yourself a favor when headed out west drag that big dog boat up to the delta/ sf bay and play.

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score

7ff8aeabf7553225b33d87767d5b5b91.jpg
7ff8aeabf7553225b33d87767d5b5b91.jpg

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Where is dry docking an option out here? (I haven’t seen that?)

if he is moving out here you must believe he has a trailer for said boat
I think he means storage

are you saying not one place in town allows "dry docking" what do the house boat peeps do ?

OC Mike

Reaction score
Very nice.

Parker Strip, You'll get bored real fast on the strip with that boat.

There are 3 lakes in the area, kind of.
The glamour lake is Lake Havasu. The lake with the most action with a lot of development around it.
It's the lake you read about with Desert Storm and what not. It's also the smoothest, kind of.
Lot's of development, kind of.
No Dry dock services that I'm aware of.

Then to the North a little is Lake Mojave.
This lake is run by Federal Park Services. Virtually no amenities.
Basically a launch and drop lake. A lot less action, water gets bigger.
The view of the Hoover dam from the bottom is truly breathtakling. A must do.

Right above that is Lake Mead. The Mac Daddy. That Sling Shot will be right at home.
The water can get big, not Great Lakes big, but bigger than Havasu.
It too is controlled by the National Park Service, so amenities are few, but they do have marinas (3) with covered storage and lifts.
As close as you'll get to dry storage other than on a trailer in a buildling.
The Marinas are Las Vegas Boat Harbor, Calville and Temple bar.

Further up river above the Grand Canyon is #4, Lake Powell.
Compared to the other 3, this lake is in a league of it's own.
First rate amenities, breath taking views, just seems to go forever.

That's my take on the river.
I'm ready for the hits guys, Flame on.....

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score
What we call dry docking here, is leaving my boat on my trailer at a marina. I just go, hook up and use there ramp. Very common on big bodies of water, cause boats are bigger. I have a swing out drive guard on my trailer which puts it at almost 50 feet long. Not driveway friendly in most residential areas.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
By many standards our water is not big but the real difference is the swells here do not roll unidirectionally at a consistant interval(unless windwhipped), they come from every direction causing some major washing machine effects.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
What we call dry docking here, is leaving my boat on my trailer at a marina. I just go, hook up and use there ramp. Very common on big bodies of water, cause boats are bigger. I have a swing out drive guard on my trailer which puts it at almost 50 feet long. Not driveway friendly in most residential areas.
The marina does have dry storage.
Havasu is predominantly a tow to/from the lake daily unless you have a slip.

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score
The marina does have dry storage.
Havasu is predominantly a tow to/from the lake daily unless you have a slip.
What is the reason for no slips and boats over 32 ft. Another member mentioned it.

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score
If I back in, I only need a dock 10-12 feet long. Just trying to get ahead on all info. Thanks for your help.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
What is the reason for no slips and boats over 32 ft. Another member mentioned it.
Marina is only place with permament slips, it's size is limited geographically.
There is a new development that has broken ground called The Riviara that might fit your needs better..... If it actually comes to fruition.

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score
Marina is only place with permament slips, it's size is limited geographically.
There is a new development that has broken ground called The Riviara that might fit your needs better..... If it actually comes to fruition.
I see on Google earth, that there is not a lot of lake front property. Not sure why. Just asking. The west coast boating will be new to us. My wife's family are in Phoenix and Tucson. LHC has peaked her interest, to keep the family distance civil. I'm sure you all understand. She got addicted to this forum, which I will tell you all, is done correctly, and is one of the best public forums out there. I know the boat is a little big, I'll deal with that. My question is, now that I'll be retired, how come you all have stones in your front yards? You all don't like grass?

rvrrun

Reaction score
I see on Google earth, that there is not a lot of lake front property. Not sure why. Just asking. The west coast boating will be new to us. My wife's family are in Phoenix and Tucson. LHC has peaked her interest, to keep the family distance civil. I'm sure you all understand. She got addicted to this forum, which I will tell you all, is done correctly, and is one of the best public forums out there. I know the boat is a little big, I'll deal with that. My question is, now that I'll be retired, how come you all have stones in your front yards? You all don't like grass?
I love grass, the grass doesn’t love the heat.

Rocks are cheaper to water and maintain.

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score
Well,it's just water. I've been giving a list of questions to ask, by my wife. How is the economy in LHC? We have been there 3 Times as tourists. Always found the family owned bars and eateries. Always good. Are people in general, friendly? We lived in Florida and hated it. People were very transient. Once again, just asking. No disrespect to anyone.

ZBig boy 2

Reaction score
Oh ya, twin 850s can raise hell, noise wise. Living on a great lake, nobody cares. No wake zones, I can rattle Windows. Is this enforced aggressively?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Az is closed for Amazon Prime Day!
It crashed the internet in Cali ! !