WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Welding cwi

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I know I?ve posted a feeler thread about this before but I?m a lot more serious now. Anyone know any schools or got any advice? Anyone take the test? Anyone have a book hey would sell me. D1.1

Moabifam5

Reaction score
Depends on what you want it for. I have taken both AWS CWI and CPWI. I'm in the Pipeline business and for me, the CPWI was a better fit. If your looking for structural or medical, I would go with AWS. Not sure where you live but Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa has a welding Tech program and the local board memebers for AWS are instructors. They have a Sat course that prepares you for the test. Let me know if you have any questions and would be available to chat if you would like. I've been in the business for a long time and with new requirements, that is where the money is. Good luck, Tom

QUOTE=BHC Vic;2809456]I know I?ve posted a feeler thread about this before but I?m a lot more serious now. Anyone know any schools or got any advice? Anyone take the test? Anyone have a book hey would sell me. D1.1[/QUOTE]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Depends on what you want it for. I have taken both AWS CWI and CPWI. I'm in the Pipeline business and for me, the CPWI was a better fit. If your looking for structural or medical, I would go with AWS. Not sure where you live but Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa has a welding Tech program and the local board memebers for AWS are instructors. They have a Sat course that prepares you for the test. Let me know if you have any questions and would be available to chat if you would like. I've been in the business for a long time and with new requirements, that is where the money is. Good luck, Tom

QUOTE=BHC Vic;2809456]I know I?ve posted a feeler thread about this before but I?m a lot more serious now. Anyone know any schools or got any advice? Anyone take the test? Anyone have a book hey would sell me. D1.1
[/QUOTE]

Im an instructor for the union carpenters apprenticeship program. They want me to also be the welding instructor but I need my cwi. I?m going to look into orange coast thank you

CRAZYEYE

Reaction score
Don Basco should also have a program and probably a little closer to chino
Also go on www.asnt.org they will have a list of schools and programs and you can also buy books and study material from them.

DWC

Reaction score
How?s the new job treating you Vic? Hope all is going as planned.

PS. Watch that diet. I found a ?few? pounds going from the field into an office more. Not sure if it?s the lack of exercise, stress or extra beers though.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
How?s the new job treating you Vic? Hope all is going as planned.

PS. Watch that diet. I found a ?few? pounds going from the field into an office more. Not sure if it?s the lack of exercise, stress or extra beers though.

New job is great, I?m loving it. A huge change from what I was doing in the field but I really like it. It?s a lot less stress for me. Everyone is telling me I?m going to gain weight lol. They have me a 2x best and told me not to worry I?d grow into it. We have a full gym and shower at the training center. I plan on getting there early and getting back in shape. I don?t mind gaining some weight back if it goes to the right places. Been doing 60 hours a week so not much has changed in that dept but it?s a lot less physical work.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I like these guys. I'm thinking of going there myself.

http://thefabschool.com/

[video=youtube;CAR5rJ3Lfkw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLO5wi9wtfmoEBKZPYHFcJVimGPUHPjibP&v=CAR5rJ3Lfkw[/video]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
So during my time away I actually got the ball rolling on this. I dropped a thousand bucks on some classes from si certs and I’m knocking it out. I knew it was going to be tough but damn... any advice from anyone?

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Back in the day 42-l lathers union did board and framing all the books are free la city hall downtown any body can push a rod or wire

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It’s a lot of codes and language I’m not familiar with. I can weld just fine, but this is something completely different.
What parts are issues? Is it the alloys, temps or...? The codes and language stuff is pretty much like learning the codes from other certs you may already have. What I mean by that is this: You've already had to memorize things for school, apprenticeship...marriage...right? I think because it's new territory it scares you a bit. Don't ever look at it as a "new" project. Look at it as adding to your skillset, just another tool in the truck. You don't need to give a report on what each word means, you have to know what each grouping of words means.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
It’s more a matter of who can pass the test. I’ve welded on several jobs and I’ve been certified I’d guess 10 years. Some of the best welders can’t pass that test. A lot of people say I’m dumb or whatever but I’m actually a good test taker. I scored better on my SAT’s hungover and high than most people who paid for classes did. Had I not wasted so many years partying, I’d probably be a lawyer.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
While I believe it's great you were offered this , it strikes me a bit odd how a technical instructor can function with no professional experience and expertise. Best of luck to you,you seem to be killing it!:cool:
In 20 some years in construction, I could count on one hand the inspectors that new the trade, not the book:rolleyes:
The inspector for my area where I live now, was Animal Control for 5 years previous...Not a lot of similarities, and not old enough to have been in trades beforehand. Oh well, smile and nod;)

buck35

Reaction score
It’s more a matter of who can pass the test. I’ve welded on several jobs and I’ve been certified I’d guess 10 years. Some of the best welders can’t pass that test. A lot of people say I’m dumb or whatever but I’m actually a good test taker. I scored better on my SAT’s hungover and high than most people who paid for classes did. Had I not wasted so many years partying, I’d probably be a lawyer.

Well that's great and enlightening that you welded previously. For us newbs , you could have maybe mentioned that tidbit of info. As said, good luck going forward.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Interior systems carpenters need to get their aws welding cert in order to journey out. I got mine as a third period apprentice. I’m not the greatest but I want to get better.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Interior systems carpenters need to get their aws welding cert in order to journey out. I got mine as a third period apprentice. I’m not the greatest but I want to get better.

Good for you, take advantage of everything possible. The older you get, the smarter and less work you want to do. That’s great that you are able to take tests. Some people are just not capable. With today’s world, it’s a big plus. Do everything possible when you are young, you want to throttle down when you hit your mid 40’s.:)

4Waters

Reaction score
So it’s been 3 years. I just walked out of the part b exam. Probably the hardest test I’ve taken in my but I feel like I did ok. I take the other 2 parts Monday
I've heard welding tests are a pain in the ass. I've talked to guys with the LA City cert and they have said the same.

buck35

Reaction score
So it’s been 3 years. I just walked out of the part b exam. Probably the hardest test I’ve taken in my life but I feel like I did ok. I take the other 2 parts Monday
Congratulations, hopefully! You seem to be killing it these days.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Well it didn’t go 100% as planned but I’ll take what I got. I got my Cawi, so now I just gotta try again for the full deal. I did well on part A and passed. I missed part c by a few questions. I know I didn’t do horrible on part b because I got my cawi, but I’m hoping I did well enough that I only have to retake part c. It would be a lot easier to study for 1 part than all 3.
BD7DD2E2-B3CD-42AB-9BD1-1A24C371414F.png
I’m still stoked. I put a lot of effort into that test.

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
Well it didn’t go 100% as planned but I’ll take what I got. I got my Cawi, so no I just gotta try again for the full deal. I did well on part A and passed. I missed part c by a few questions. I know I did do horrible on part b because I got my cawi, but I’m hoping I did well enough that I only have to retake part c. It would be a lot easier to study for 1 part than all 3. View attachment 935703 I’m still stoked. I put a lot of effort into that test.
Congrats 👍👍

fmo24

Reaction score
Congrats. I have been watching and readIng about the tremendous advancements you’ve made in your career 👍

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
On a side note, there are no welding inspector's in Havasu. With all of the construction going on that is nuts. If you need a CWI in Havasu, you have to get one too drive down from Vegas. The first CWI that sets up in Havasu will be able to write their own ticket and own the market.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Congratulations Vic, keep at it. It’s good to see you’re hard work pay off.