WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Welding Instruction in Havasu?

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
A good friend gave me a horrible freight welder, knowing I've wanted to learn for quite awhile. Now I'm retired I have the time (almost) and have burned through a couple of pounds of wire on mig projects. I'm not real happy with the welds and though I've searched the web, none seems to fit my learning style.

Where in Havasu can one fin

Reactions: DLC

Done-it-again

Reaction score
A good friend gave me a horrible freight welder, knowing I've wanted to learn for quite awhile. Now I'm retired I have the time (almost) and have burned through a couple of pounds of wire on mig projects. I'm not real happy with the welds and though I've searched the web, none seems to fit my learning style.

If you want better welds you need one that uses external gas vs a self-shielding flux-cored wire that is typical on portable 110 welders.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
If you want better welds you need one that uses external gas vs a self-shielding flux-cored wire that is typical on portable 110 welders.

Have that, went to a co2/argon gas and 220....The lack of good welds are, oh, ME! lol

DLC

Reaction score
Post a pic of what your welds look like, your settings might be off.

it is a learned skill so a lot of practice, and you can develop bad habits

you want it to sound like frying bacon in a HOT skillet

DLC

Reaction score
I just found this quick

EEC6344B-93A0-4963-B094-B9462C6B7DB2.png

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Have that, went to a co2/argon gas and 220....The lack of good welds are, oh, ME! lol

what wire are you using?
Do you have a gauge set up on the bottle and what pressure are you using.

lenmann

Reaction score
Check in with your local welding supply store. IIRC there is a Praxair store in Havasu?

They should be able to point you to one of their regular customers who does instruction on the side. Worst case he will charge shop rate, but it's usually less.

This is how I got jump started TIG welding AL. Still not very good, but thats because I don't practice enough.

0A9775A5-2B18-4C7D-8FBE-F9FF60A07437.jpeg

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Watch you tube vids. Go get something similar to a millermatic 210. Use shielding gas, correct flow, dont weld outside in a breeze. Clean your work pieces. Set heat properly. Get a good welding shield. Minimize any gaps in the two pieces and wala. Pretty easy after that. Oh and keep a fire extinguisher accessible.

When you get good at this try welding outside, in the wind, over painted steel, without a shield, leave the heat setting from whatever you welded last time, fill the gaps in your pieces because you've been doing this for years and will fill gaps with wire, catch the car cover on fire, grind the welds, apply bondo and paint.

Icky

Reaction score
Run the innershield wire before you go spending money to step up to gas or a larger welder. You can run some nice beads with that .035 nr-211 from homedepot, all it takes is practice. 👍

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Thanks all, using 030 solid Lincoln wire from box store, gas at 15. It will take time to get to those vids but appreciate the finds. I’ll hit up Praxair next week and ask them.

Here are two inside sections I’m working on. Voltage was 15 wire speed around 180

3CFE1BD0-287A-4F25-B0A2-48CB982A7A40.jpeg F014E95C-3187-46B1-B05D-8F210DB8F482.jpeg

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
A piece of scrap I made a test run on.

10FE8996-ED28-4FF2-89D4-35584CD28DA9.jpeg

WildWilly

Reaction score
I can tell you the equipment matters. I started on a POS like CHicago or something from harbor freight. A couple of guys pointed out some of the issues the equipment was adding to my problems and made the jump to a millermatic and started improving right off the bat

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
I think that’s why I was given the machine for free. Lol. These welds are on 115V and after a half minute or so, didn’t have that nice “sizzle” sound. I’m going to run it on 220V and see if that changes things.

WildWilly

Reaction score
I think that’s why I was given the machine for free. Lol. These welds are on 115V and after a half minute or so, didn’t have that nice “sizzle” sound. I’m going to run it on 220V and see if that changes things.

probably how I got mine, and the next guy got it from me too lol

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Been messing with a Lincoln pro core 100, flux core with .35 wire. It's messy but I'm having fun. Get to g close to retiring. Looking to buy a Lincoln pro mig 140 mp. I don't have any rooms in my panel for 220.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I've always used the guideline sticker on the inside of the door of the welder to adjust speed and voltage for whatever thickness metal. Fluxcore wire sux. You have to use the shielded gas wire. When I weld I pull the gun and make a "C" type motion as I'm welding, making sure both pieces of metal are being grabbed by the weld. The pictures above look like the gun was pushed and held straight. Welding from above is easy. Welding on the side of something is challenging. Welding upside down is tough. Biggest thing to remember is to have a charged fire extinguisher nearby.

Javajoe

Reaction score
It would be nice if a RDP inmate would step up and you could pay him hourly to teach you

nordictom

Reaction score
If you were closer, I am getting ready to build a trailer for my Lincoln 500 commander welder. You could get alot of practice. I am supposed to have a neighbor come over & run a few stringers of 7018 rod. He has only used a HF 110 volt mig welder.

NT

DLC

Reaction score

I’ll be in Havasu the week after memorial weekend we can meet up and see what your doing?

i have a Hobart 135 it’s a 120 v machine
and big Hobart 220v but its not set up yet

Reactions: DWC

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I am happy to come by and get you headed in the right direction.
I would hope that after 2 years he's got it figured out. If not Vic could help ....speaking of Vic. Did he catch the Bus home with Ainsley? @LargeOrangeFont ?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I just am getting started myself. I am working with just making lines on box tubing at this point. Slow getting better.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Just be aware that if you are just running fluxcore without a bottle(argon) it isnt going to produce the "prettiest" welds. Worry more about the penetration.. it should sound like sizzling bacon. The wire tensioner/rollers on the harbor freight machines suck so it takes some time to get them right. But once you do they work ok until you change wire size, then you have to do it all over again.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
If any of you need help let me know. I have done a bit of welding over my years. I was the go to guy in high school auto shop but that was some time ago. LOL Happy to stop by and take a look at what you are trying to do. 👍

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Oh wow 🤦‍♂️ Always check the date!
I looked at the most recent posts 5 times thinking I was missing something and what does it really matter if an old thread gets bumped. :)

DLC

Reaction score
Shit I didn’t even Catch that….

I need to watch how much I drink in the morning….

lol

I hope he has it down by now!

i even sent him a PM…

duh….

Icky

Reaction score
Just be aware that if you are just running fluxcore without a bottle(argon) it isnt going to produce the "prettiest" welds. Worry more about the penetration.. it should sound like sizzling bacon. The wire tensioner/rollers on the harbor freight machines suck so it takes some time to get them right. But once you do they work ok until you change wire size, then you have to do it all over again.
I might knock the dust off mine this weekend to disprove the non pretty weld stereo type for Flux core

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I might knock the dust off mine this weekend to disprove the non pretty weld stereo type for Flux core

Ohh it can definitely be done I agree👍 and I can do the same but its years of set up and practice depending on material. but its alot easier when you have a shield gas. Jmo