WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Well, Bought Me A Prius...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My man card has been revoked. One of my friends already said, "Well, it's a good thing you're married already" I don't know if he meant it meaning the questionable sexuality, or the no way in liqured up hell I'd get laid with wheels like this.

It's an 06. Been driving it for about a week now. It was cheap...I am cheap. Logic being there are now three drivers, and three seperate trips into town on weekdays. My daughter has been upgraded to a Saturn Vue, and "Fred", her 85 Chevy pickup has been put in reserve for now. My Excursion is parked. Changing out those two will save about 100$ a week. Fuel is only going to cost more in the coming months.

Now, the Prius and my thoughts on it. It is F'n ugly. I haven't driven a car in years...apparently roof lines for these cars are meant for short people. I'm not tall, but still not easy to fold in to. I drive it like a go kart. Not being the typical green car guy, I'm getting about 40mpg around town. Stereo is pretty decent, as is leg room and the hvac setup.

The kids and wife have named it "goose", or the "goose egg". I call it the shitbox.

I like the technology. Been learning a lot about these things.

God it's ugly!

Seen one transplanted drivetrain into a 46 Chevy pickup...Bad ideas have popped into my head. May need to do surgery, or buy a wrecked one to pilfer from.

Did I mention it's ugly?

First step may be to limo tint the thing. Have to hide my face.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My man card has been revoked. One of my friends already said, "Well, it's a good thing you're married already" I don't know if he meant it meaning the questionable sexuality, or the no way in liqured up hell I'd get laid with wheels like this.

It's an 06. Been driving it for about a week now. It was cheap...I am cheap. Logic being there are now three drivers, and three seperate trips into town on weekdays. My daughter has been upgraded to a Saturn Vue, and "Fred", her 85 Chevy pickup has been put in reserve for now. My Excursion is parked. Changing out those two will save about 100$ a week. Fuel is only going to cost more in the coming months.

Now, the Prius and my thoughts on it. It is F'n ugly. I haven't driven a car in years...apparently roof lines for these cars are meant for short people. I'm not tall, but still not easy to fold in to. I drive it like a go kart. Not being the typical green car guy, I'm getting about 40mpg around town. Stereo is pretty decent, as is leg room and the hvac setup.

The kids and wife have named it "goose", or the "goose egg". I call it the shitbox.

God it's ugly!

Seen one transplanted drivetrain into a 46 Chevy pickup...Bad ideas have popped into my head. May need to do surgery, or buy a wrecked one to pilfer from.

Did I mention it's ugly?

Nah you don't need limo tint, just tint your hair green or pink or blue. You'll get free face masks donated to you🤘🤣

Taboma

Reaction score

God it's ugly!

Did I mention it's ugly?

I've noticed two distinct driver types in Prius --- Those who think they're race drivers and flog the shit out of them and those who are dead but in no hurry to drive to their own funeral. :mad:

2Driver

Reaction score
Weve had 2 for the carpool plate. Good for that, but not much else imo.

One word of caution is they are hard to see by other drivers, so leave the lights on. There is a huge blind spot due to the large windshiled piller - it will make cars at 2 o’clock disappear

Fuck it, have fun, drive to Trader Joes and REI you'll be accepted there

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've noticed two distinct driver types in Prius --- Those who think they're race drivers and flog the shit out of them and those who are dead but in no hurry to drive to their own funeral. :mad:
She sure ain't a hot rod, but I don't drive it like the blue hairs either. I was thinking it was going to be like driving a 3cyl Metro. Only ever noticed the slow Prius drivers. Now I know they can go 70...pisses me off! I just thought they couldn't go faster.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
If you now own a Prius. You have to drive 40mph in the fast lane. And have to wear Berkinstocks, with black socks.

Don’t forget your Biden Harris sticker.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flatsix66

Reaction score
prius2.jpg

nowski

Reaction score
Just make sure to always drive while on your cell phone and you'll fit right in...

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
"Hey welcome to the club. Let me know if you need a Biden/Harris bumper sticker for it." - RCDave

DWC

Reaction score
100%. Funny, some think it’s a race car and others are watching the leaf like it’s life or death.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I had a 2007 Prius for several years to use as a commuter. I bought it used with around 100k miles on it and it was cheap, plus it came with a plate to get me into the HOV lane by myself which was a huge plus. I put about 85k miles on it with no issues besides regular oil changes, and I'd average 40+ MPG. Eventually I got rear ended on the freeway and it totaled the car. I replaced it with a different plug in hybrid because I didn't like the Prius stigma, but as a cheap reliable commuter I got the job done. My NRA sticker on the back got some strange looks.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've seen the hippy/Biden/wicken stickers on them, as well as the Subarus around Flagstaff and Precott. I would have preferred a Subaru, but then I'd be trying to turn it into a rally car. That would defeat the point of being "economical" I think.

My logic is pretty simple. I don't have deep pockets. The more money I can save running errands and picking up kids, the more money I can burn at the river. This may become the river trip ride as well, as I have a launch vehicle out there. Sacrifices are made in hopes of more fun with water.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I drive 30k+ miles a year and had one from 2015 to 2018. I hated the stigma, but literally drove it everywhere and then some. I never saw the 53mpg they claimed, but I did get mine up passed 100mph with a long stretch. commonly saw 41-43mpg. I did put a good stereo in it with a couple 12’s and limo tint. I can’t tell you how good it felt when I traded it in for a large SUV. Unfortunately, I'm looking at $12k a year in fuel with bozo Biden and His controllers. I am planning on buying another before summer as it pencils out as a savings. It’s going to be an interesting 4 years.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Drove one with a ton of miles on it all over god's green earth. Ive got a picture of it somewhere with deer strapped to the back in the Wisconsin snow. Water belt failure was the end of that car...check the belts and watch them...no light came on and the motor was DONE before we even noticed something wrong.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The funny thing, no matter how high fuel goes there is that "Mentality" I'm driving my "TRUCK"!
I'm lucky in the fact that I don't need a truck everyday. Last democrat in power (DIP, for short) I had to drive my 1ton to make money. Well, now that isn't the case. I'm keeping the SUV and the truck, just not to pick up one kid everyday.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Drove one with a ton of miles on it all over god's green earth. Ive got a picture of it somewhere with deer strapped to the back in the Wisconsin snow. Water belt failure was the end of that car...check the belts and watch them...no light came on and the motor was DONE before we even noticed something wrong.

Well when a vehicle has to survive being cared for by tire stores and jiffy lubes, little things like an actual inspection to make sure the customer is safe and the vehicle maintenance is performed gets passed by for brakes and filters, the quick money. 😝

I have to say, they are fairly robust little turds...😜

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Well when a vehicle has to survive being cared for by tire stores and jiffy lubes, little things like an actual inspection to make sure the customer is safe and the vehicle maintenance is performed gets passed by for brakes and filters, the quick money. 😝

I have to say, they are fairly robust little turds...😜

If I could find another one that isn't demolished I would buy it...almost every part for them is on amazon 🤣

I like to buy them with impact damage...Im not carrying anyone..its just me for work. my last one (not the belt one) I paid just over $1000 for with under 150k on it. Hit in the side and both bumpers damaged...black new bumpers from amazon, a pair of doors from the salvage yard, some extended bolts, a stack of fender washers (pillar was pushed in), and a can of spray foam crack sealant and I was in business. I spray painted the bumpers and doors with orielly spray paint color match hahaha. Drove that one 50k miles before I sold it to the scrapper when the battery failed. It was fun few years of sales on the road...I could have cared less about a work car, it was a money maker. :cool:

I never once changed the oil in that beast..50k miles and it went to car heaven, and I was money ahead

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Looked hard at old Priuses a few years back. Had a position at work that had me driving potentially 100’s of miles a day, mileage reimbursed. Bought a used Honda Fit 5speed and started throwing miles at it, (along with some DARK limo tint to hide my shame).

Regularly saw 40+ mpg and collected thousands in untaxed mileage checks 👍

Sold the car 3 years later for what I paid for it, minus spark plugs and some oil.

Would do it again.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

God it's ugly!

Did I mention it's ugly?

I'm thinking 5.7 iforce swap it

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, minor mods.
2021-03-09 22.18.54.jpg

I did look up some interesting comparisons. A Prius weighs 2870lbs...a 1940 Ford Tudor sedan weighed in at 2850lbs. Stock 40 was 85hp...Prius is a whopping 135 combined weedwacker and vibrator. Track width isn't too far off, wheelbase is bad. Chevy Corvair is pretty close, but would require a unibody floorpan swap:oops:

May need to find a rearended one or a rollover. I think the wife would shit if I took a sawzall to a registered and insured driver.

Reactions: DWC

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
You leave them cars alone. Stick it in a 1st gen celica/supra or something

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
You leave them cars alone. Stick it in a 1st gen celica/supra or something
Problem is, I have access to the two mentioned...and cut on a lot of 40's already. Whats really funny, I had a 1st gen Supra many years ago. I beat the hell out of it! Learned it was pretty damn durable. Saw what they fetch these days :oops: There are obviously people way more sick than you and I!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Jesus, dude. Subaru? Prius? You need to check your underwear, someone might have sewn a lump of uranium in 'em.

😁
About 20 years ago I did some cage work for a guy that was big in rally car stuff. Never interested me a bit. Then I went for a ride in some whizbang, fire breathing STI thing. Aside from scaring the crap out of me, I then realized that some of this foreign stuff is pretty cool. So not really the Outback wagon type, but the fire roads out here could be fun with something like the rally stuff.

The Prius has one redeeming quality...mileage. The body styling was drawn by blind monks with a vow of celibacy. It serves a purpose, and that purpose sure as hell isn't impressing the opposite sex.

...at least it's not a Smart car.

rrrr

Reaction score
The body styling was drawn by blind monks with a vow of celibacy. It serves a purpose, and that purpose sure as hell isn't impressing the opposite sex.

Au contraire, mon frère.

The Prius will attract members of the opposite sex. You just have to decide if unshaven body hair on a female is your cup of tea.

😁

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I drive allot for work and other stuff. Thought about a Prius as a commuter but just can’t bring my self to do it.

4czn10

Reaction score
I've seen the hippy/Biden/wicken stickers on them, as well as the Subarus around Flagstaff and Precott. I would have preferred a Subaru, but then I'd be trying to turn it into a rally car. That would defeat the point of being "economical" I think.

My logic is pretty simple. I don't have deep pockets. The more money I can save running errands and picking up kids, the more money I can burn at the river. This may become the river trip ride as well, as I have a launch vehicle out there. Sacrifices are made in hopes of more fun with water.
Great minds think alike. I never thought i would own one but while we were still living in Cali both wife and i were driving 100 miles a day to and from work each day. Gas was killing us, so we broke down and bought 2 used units with 80k mile on them. They are incredibly cheap to maintain/insure and you CAN get 50mpg if driven normal...we sold one before we moved to South Carolina, it had over 240k on it, and never had to change the battery, and the other i still drive to work on my daily 80 mile commute. it has over 306k on it(battery finally gave in at 265k). i F'ing hate to drive it, but since we are not ballers either, it has saved me more then what i paid for them, so we can play more on the water/travel. When i retire next year, Prius gone and will have a Tahoe/Audi for my daily driver to and from local watering hole.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Yea, I have been having the same crisis of faith on a commuter car. I have driven multiple fleet prius's and hate them. I know they are very reliable in general but of the last three times I have been left on the side of the road, two were from prius's. I am actually considering a fusion hybrid, less bad punches on the man card and get about 45mpg. Also a little more practical for my lifestyle.
The other catch is I could really use something that plugs in like a volt because it gets preferred parking in downtown Sac.