WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Well, Family Trip To Disneyland Next Week...Tips, Pointers?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, wheels are loaded, bags packed, DVD's to last a few hours, munchies for the long stretches...

Heading towards Cali in a few minutes. Old school, oil and tranny fluid checked, washer fluid topped of...spare mags packed;)

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Have fun, I have a Disneyworld trip to make for work in March. Not looking forward to it.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Well, wheels are loaded, bags packed, DVD's to last a few hours, munchies for the long stretches...

Heading towards Cali in a few minutes. Old school, oil and tranny fluid checked, washer fluid topped of...spare mags packed;)
Flask size booze bottles are shaped that way for a reason.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Plastic booze bladders won’t set off metal detectors.
We used to have season passes and we took these in all the time.

IMG_0406.png

You’re allowed to bring food and drink in, so even a plastic soda bottle - premixed with jack and coke, for example - work fine.

Heck, parents with strollers bring coolers in. I guarantee you they were packing booze LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Holy fucktards on wheels...I'm in the San Gabriel Valley...FTP:mad: Will be searching for booze for self medication shortly.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Went 12/22-12/23. Still packed, better rides were 50min-1:45. Sister is in a wheel chair so that helped a lot, not at ca adventure. Guardians was great Star Wars as good. A few of the restaurants in Disney land have dinner packages that include up front reserved seating for fantasmic night show. Same for ca adventure.

Got fast pass at 9:00 am for cars, return time was 4:45. The app is better but physical fast pass is only 1 every 2 hours.
Don't see how you can do both parks in one day, we did Disney one day then ca adventure. Really not enough. Disney needed 2 days.

Prices are not ridicules for food and compared to your average chain pretty good food.

Oh and if you haven't been in LA traffic lately... Pathetic. Took 1.5 hrs for the last 25 miles to Anaheim on a Thursday at 8:30pm. I HATE CITIES!

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
a3646998-767a-43dd-a14e-99296240a133.jpg

New ride was sold out in a a few minutes on Fri, and a min on Sat and Sun.

Oh, and don't bring selfie sticks or pocket knives.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
View attachment 836516

New ride was sold out in a a few minutes on Fri, and a min on Sat and Sun.
Thinking that is a "walk on by" kind of thing. We'll try to get passes, but aren't super serious Star Wars peeps...we'll be fine if we only do Mickey based stuff.
Went 12/22-12/23. Still packed, better rides were 50min-1:45. Sister is in a wheel chair so that helped a lot, not at ca adventure. Guardians was great Star Wars as good. A few of the restaurants in Disney land have dinner packages that include up front reserved seating for fantasmic night show. Same for ca adventure.

Got fast pass at 9:00 am for cars, return time was 4:45. The app is better but physical fast pass is only 1 every 2 hours.
Don't see how you can do both parks in one day, we did Disney one day then ca adventure. Really not enough. Disney needed 2 days.

Prices are not ridicules for food and compared to your average chain pretty good food.

Oh and if you haven't been in LA traffic lately... Pathetic. Took 1.5 hrs for the last 25 miles to Anaheim on a Thursday at 8:30pm. I HATE CITIES!
Drove into the LA area last night. Traffic sucks, way worse than when we left 8 years ago, or my memory just remembers it being different.
As a bonus, saw our first homeless camp, with shopping cart and tarp, right as we got off the freeway...it's a cultural experience;)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Tried seeing a movie at Puente Hills AMC...daughter's B-day. Homeless in lobby, movie time we showed up for was in Mandarin...new world out here

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thinking that is a "walk on by" kind of thing. We'll try to get passes, but aren't super serious Star Wars peeps...we'll be fine if we only do Mickey based stuff.

Drove into the LA area last night. Traffic sucks, way worse than when we left 8 years ago, or my memory just remembers it being different.
As a bonus, saw our first homeless camp, with shopping cart and tarp, right as we got off the freeway...it's a cultural experience;)

The closest dealer for the warranty on our TH is in the OC - Orange Crush.
So you can understand why we bought and service it up in Pismo. That 7 day a week OC traffic and a shitty dealer. Plus it was $39k+ cheaper up North.

Used to be an easy, cheap AMTRACK run to /from Dizzyland from Simi. 1AM return trip fit perfectly. Kids had breakfast on the train.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wow...lots of people. Space Mtn done.. they got rid of the "cookie"...mid 70s effects:p

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So far...Max Pass blows.. wasn't working, then working, but 2 rides broken.
Almost took a pic of a guy on a flying carpet on small world...didn't want to be insensitive;)

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Almost took a pic of a guy on a flying carpet on small world...didn't want to be insensitive;)

You need to post pics....like the Bali thread. Let’s go,:D:D

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Looks like they're all having a good time. Best part is now you can drink on the California side

Last edited:

KevinR

Reaction score
Haha.

Much more importantly, it appears today was a great day for the Monkeys.

707dog

Reaction score
Hope it all works out for you and the family theres Good advise posted wrote some of it down... my kids picked a havasu trip over Disneyland this year. But I think the wife is gonna force a trip next year:mad:

240Hallett

Reaction score
Hope it all works out for you and the family theres Good advise posted wrote some of it down... my kids picked a havasu trip over Disneyland this year. But I think the wife is gonna force a trip next year:mad:
Smart kids!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
All next week the resort and theme parks will be deserted.
Best week to go especially Wednesday and Thursday.
Lowest predicted crowd count of the year.

Meaney77

Reaction score
All next week the resort and theme parks will be deserted.
Best week to go especially Wednesday and Thursday.
Lowest predicted crowd count of the year.
Curious why they predict low crowds next week?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Curious why they predict low crowds next week?

It’s been quiet this week too.

Speculation is families shot their wad over the Holidays, fear of Rise of the Resistance crowds and that ride is a app lottery virtual line that fills up and baulks in 5 minutes from rope drop.

Carthay Circle bar opens back up Monday and that’s a plus.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
2020-01-24 07.35.18.jpg
2020-01-24 07.33.50.jpg

I'm not a big picture taker. I got a couple here from Car's/Radiator springs. The kids had fun, and that was the whole goal. The park has changed. Some good, a little not so. The whole Maxpass deal has burried people in their phones...That I don't care much for. It's bad enough outside the fantasy of the park, so I am not a fan of it there. It does work (for the most part) to make things more efficient. I am just less the type to live through the phone, partially why I don't have many pics. The "cast members" were as friendly and helpful as I remembered from years ago. That is saying something. As we all know, society and crowds have changed. A few of the male ones were a bit...overly friendly?...when I was asking questions without the family near. Pretty sure I could have had a date or three if I played for that team.
We did the old school stuff as a must. My Pops worked on Big Thunder and Space Mountain, so those were important to us. Only did one Star Wars deal, Smuggler's Run. Pretty cool, and the surroundings are impressive.

nowski

Reaction score
A Big Kid (Monkey Wrench) with a a smile on his face, priceless...

My daughter and her friends all have annual passes. They found the best time to go to Disneyland (to beat the crowds) is Sunday evening 6:00pm till closing...

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score

So did the Max Pass ever work out better for you? I'm going in a couple weeks. It will be kind of a quick trip, so if it helped I may think about purchasing them.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So did the Max Pass ever work out better for you? I'm going in a couple weeks. It will be kind of a quick trip, so if it helped I may think about purchasing them.
Yes, it actually did help. In talking to various people at the park, they basically said the issues are first thing in the morning as people are overloading the system to do the new Star Wars deal. That openned last Friday, and that's when the bugs popped up. It probably saved us 3-4 hours at least. With it being a 9-9 day we were there, a big help.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A Big Kid (Monkey Wrench) with a a smile on his face, priceless...

My daughter and her friends all have annual passes. They found the best time to go to Disneyland (to beat the crowds) is Sunday evening 6:00pm till closing...
Yes, still a kid, still play with cars too;)
Once upon a time, mid-90's, I had annual passes. At the time, a pretty good pass, with limited blackouts, parking and discounts for guest tickets, was only 200 or so. I had a few friends who's parents bought them the same passes when they heard I had mine. Sometimes we'd pull funds, and split costs for big groups of us to go during summer or spring break. With the Cali resident deal, everybody pony up 15$ and we would have a blast. My parents were a bit worried about us driving that far at first. It was great though. We were in a safe environment with no drugs or alcohol.
I had it for a few years, but by 19 I was out on my own. Whiskey and rent, then house payments. My wife and I had them again for a few years with our 1st kid. Kids 2 and 3 meant we were priced out. Not from there being 5 of us, but from the prices going up considerably.

Reactions: DLC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

This has been helpful:
https://www.isitpacked.com/disneyland-crowd-forecast-predictor-calendar/

My girls have the Max pass add-on on their APs.
The boys will pay the $15 only if the park is busy when they visit. They don’t go as much and usually go late so it saves a few $$.

The Aunt Mary’s that staff the admission ticket booth are hep and out for your best interests and will advise you.
One even chewed out one son for not thanking me.
She could’a taken the belt to him with one of those angry mom lickins’