WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Well.... shit.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I know you are up at topock today, but how did this all pan out?

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I know you are up at topock today, but how did this all pan out?

IMG_8058.JPG

LOL

Barrett has the new power head and they are just waiting for their schedule to clear a little bit to get her in. Merc wants them to run the boat and check for a couple things they’ve seen with this brand of toon (and this dealer I guess), mostly having to do with engine position, trim, and if it’s sucking aerated water due to the center toon.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
I tend to lean toward this engine failure having zero to do with ethanol, boat/engine has not been in service long enough for the ethanol to cause issue with fuel system components, phase separation, or corrosion within the fuel system. Sounds like dealer/factory is looking to rigging/setup/over propping as a probable cause. Engine computer will show some failure causes assuming there are sensors to track electrical ranges the sensors were designed to operate within. I.E. over heat, lack of oil pressure, over rev, and many others. It won't to my knowledge track an engine that is being held back by being over propped, they must run in the upper ranges of the manufactures RPM range. We may never know, its unlikely factory will share.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I tend to lean toward this engine failure having zero to do with ethanol, boat/engine has not been in service long enough for the ethanol to cause issue with fuel system components, phase separation, or corrosion within the fuel system. Sounds like dealer/factory is looking to rigging/setup/over propping as a probable cause. Engine computer will show some failure causes assuming there are sensors to track electrical ranges the sensors were designed to operate within. I.E. over heat, lack of oil pressure, over rev, and many others. It won't to my knowledge track an engine that is being held back by being over propped, they must run in the upper ranges of the manufactures RPM range. We may never know, its unlikely factory will share.

Should be able to see if it is overpropped from the throttle position sensor and RPM... WOT for 2 minutes and only 4500rpm, just a bit over propped! (not saying that is the case here, just a grievous example)

Headless hula

Reaction score
Should be able to see if it is overpropped from the throttle position sensor and RPM... WOT for 2 minutes and only 4500rpm, just a bit over propped! (not saying that is the case here, just a grievous example)
Do either one of you folks own current product?
Just wondering outloud if either of you have read an owners manual, or maybe even for the especially gifted, an installation manual????

Guess what boys here's yooore lucky day. I happen to have both on my hands.

The conjecture and mere FU KING GUESSING pisses me me off to no end.

Over propped? Are you fucking high right now?
Did ANYONE IN THIS THREAD SAY ANYTHING ABOUT A PROP?

nope. They didn't.

Let's read a couple of thing out of the manual shall we?
15730177300482719810743090974216.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
Let's pay SPECIAL attention to this section shall we?
15730179559716877101482972998560.jpg

Oh. Page 14...

Let's go there.

Headless hula

Reaction score
15730180251045412622793374883614.jpg
15730180608752666043086903312674.jpg

Here are page 14 and 15 from the installation manual.

Pay SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE END OF PAGE 15.....

If YOOOOOOOORE böte rides with the exhaust relief below the waterline, it doesnt fall within factory installation parameters....

If the shithead that rigged you're böte DIDNT FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS THAY WERE SUPPLIED WITH THE ENGINE, why is it mercury's fault it didn't perform as advertised?

Sounds like it may have had something done by a 3rd party that didnt know what they were supposed to do. LIKE BASIC READING COMPREHENSION.

Kinda what is LACKING in this thread..

NOBODY EVER SAID SHIT ABOUT A PROP.
the dealer handling the warranty did however say that merc was interested in the installed engine height and the possibility of water intrusion from a middle toon.

Oh, and that's AFTER they shipped a brand spankin new power head to replace the original.

In my eyes, the folks that rigged the boat didnt follow the correct installation procedure and hung the engine too low, and it sucked water into the bottom hole. It hydrolocked, and windowed the block.

The VERY FIRST thing a DEALERSHIP does is question the fuel. When that checks out, let's make sure it was installed according to their specs.

This one sounds questionable.

But hey....

They sent him a new powerhead. Must be Mercury's fault.

Wtf. Wish I could find customer service and warranty this good for a vehicle.

You guys will never cease fo amaze me with the hate for a manufacturer....

Its ALWAYS their fault, its ALWAYS their problem.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
View attachment 813916 View attachment 813917

Here are page 14 and 15 from the installation manual.

Pay SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE END OF PAGE 15.....

If YOOOOOOOORE böte rides with the exhaust relief below the waterline, it doesnt fall within factory installation parameters....

If the shithead that rigged you're böte DIDNT FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS THAY WERE SUPPLIED WITH THE ENGINE, why is it mercury's fault it didn't perform as advertised?

Sounds like it may have had something done by a 3rd party that didnt know what they were supposed to do. LIKE BASIC READING COMPREHENSION.

Kinda what is LACKING in this thread..

NOBODY EVER SAID SHIT ABOUT A PROP.
the dealer handling the warranty did however say that merc was interested in the installed engine height and the possibility of water intrusion from a middle toon.

Oh, and that's AFTER they shipped a brand spankin new power head to replace the original.

In my eyes, the folks that rigged the boat didnt follow the correct installation procedure and hung the engine too low, and it sucked water into the bottom hole. It hydrolocked, and windowed the block.

The VERY FIRST thing a DEALERSHIP does is question the fuel. When that checks out, let's make sure it was installed according to their specs.

This one sounds questionable.

But hey....

They sent him a new powerhead. Must be Mercury's fault.

Wtf. Wish I could find customer service and warranty this good for a vehicle.

You guys will never cease fo amaze me with the hate for a manufacturer....

Its ALWAYS their fault, its ALWAYS their problem.

Simmer down Francis... You are assuming it was mounted incorrectly. Others have assumed it was overpropped...

And just for shits and giggles, lets throw a MFG defect into it to.

Of the 3 potential causes listed, 2 of them would be on the rigger, and one would be on Merc. How is that hating on a MFG? Merc taking care of the issue is awesome, and them figuring out what caused it so it doesn't happen again is even better.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Simmer down Francis... You are assuming it was mounted incorrectly. Others have assumed it was overpropped...

And just for shits and giggles, lets throw a MFG defect into it to.

Of the 3 potential causes listed, 2 of them would be on the rigger, and one would be on Merc. How is that hating on a MFG? Merc taking care of the issue is awesome, and them figuring out what caused it so it doesn't happen again is even better.

Wow!!! Logic instead of BLASTOFF!! thank you crazyhippy

for the most part HH makes my argument, these are the things they, "the people helping solve this dilemma" will be looking for because its in the best interest of all concerned. As for the Propeller, You'd be amazed the number of boats that are incorrectly propped. Boat manufactures are guilty of squeezing that last 1-2 MPH for the brochure/test report, take your lunch on board and its wrong, so I assure all RPM profile is where they will start, these days a computer download is first. O and I'm not pissed:):):)

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
IMG_8239.jpg

Happened to catch the Barrett fellas out joy riding my hooptie today. Looked good. Hoping for a call tomorrow with some good news.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
She’s back home.

I’ll preface the rest with what the dealer told me about how to run this thing. I was very unsatisfied with my dealer experience, and this leaves a more sour taste in my mouth.

When I took delivery, it wasn’t with the guy who knew about the pontoon line, it was with a guy who knew next to nothing about them. I was supposed to be shown the Simrad 8 and all its features etc and the ins and outs of running an outboard tri toon. Anyway I didn’t get any of that (yes I let the manufacturer know in their survey). All I was told was fill er with 91 octane, trim er high (“about ‘there’ is good”) and let er fly. I read the book about break in and followed it, and I know how to “feel” when a boat likes where it’s trimmed etc.

Picked up the boat today. The guys at Barrett have been really good, just took a little time to wrap it all up. Nothing else was said about the ethanol level, but I was told there were some indications that the engine was sucking in some air. He went over what to watch for and advised to set up the water pressure gauge to be one of the ones on the home screen (which I’ve done already) and to keep and eye on it when I’m running. Told me to run it like I was told by the dealer (water breaking right at the driver seat) and look at the pressure gauge and I should see 13-15 PSI.

This was their test run:
IMG_8259.jpg

Also warned me to push off the beach a little better each time, which I assume meant a little dirt / shells / debris was found.

At any rate the power head is new, so I need to take it easy for a bit again. Glad to have it back home. A bit embarrassed it happened but hoping there were some underlying issues as well. I’ll get the final invoice which will show all the work done soon, she’s still working with warranty to get everything buttoned up.

Headless hula

Reaction score
She’s back home.

I’ll preface the rest with what the dealer told me about how to run this thing. I was very unsatisfied with my dealer experience, and this leaves a more sour taste in my mouth.

When I took delivery, it wasn’t with the guy who knew about the pontoon line, it was with a guy who knew next to nothing about them. I was supposed to be shown the Simrad 8 and all its features etc and the ins and outs of running an outboard tri toon. Anyway I didn’t get any of that (yes I let the manufacturer know in their survey). All I was told was fill er with 91 octane, trim er high (“about ‘there’ is good”) and let er fly. I read the book about break in and followed it, and I know how to “feel” when a boat likes where it’s trimmed etc.

Picked up the boat today. The guys at Barrett have been really good, just took a little time to wrap it all up. Nothing else was said about the ethanol level, but I was told there were some indications that the engine was sucking in some air. He went over what to watch for and advised to set up the water pressure gauge to be one of the ones on the home screen (which I’ve done already) and to keep and eye on it when I’m running. Told me to run it like I was told by the dealer (water breaking right at the driver seat) and look at the pressure gauge and I should see 13-15 PSI.

This was their test run:
View attachment 818518

Also warned me to push off the beach a little better each time, which I assume meant a little dirt / shells / debris was found.

At any rate the power head is new, so I need to take it easy for a bit again. Glad to have it back home. A bit embarrassed it happened but hoping there were some underlying issues as well. I’ll get the final invoice which will show all the work done soon, she’s still working with warranty to get everything buttoned up.
I'm currently in town, and would love to take a few minutes to show you how to operate/configure that display. Once you spend a few minutes familiarizing yourself with it, its quite easy to navigate.

Really glad to see you have your boat back!!

If you're interested in having me come take a look, send me a PM here.

-Sean