WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Well, that didn't last long, PGA and LIV Golf announce merger

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
PGA Looks dumb in all of this . IMO this proves they were monopolizing the game of golf and were preventing players from being “free” to play wherever they chose.
I don't. The only reason LIV had any affect is because they spent billions of public dollars with a guy who had a personal agenda against the pga. If Norman hadn't of blown his 6 shot lead at the '96 Masters he'd not have been so butthurt by the negative publicity from that, he did not handle it well.
Did LIV's creation cause new formats & payouts on the pga? Sure.
But LIV was never going to compete as far as historical rounds/tourneys or prestige. The tiny bit of tv I did see them play sucked. Horrible production honestly.
In my mind when all this shit started boiling over I figured by the time most of the 4yr LIV player contracts were to end we'd see a merger or takeover with the pga still maintaining majority.
Here we are.

Singleton

Reaction score
So the PGA Tour gets more Saudi money and the LIV golf issues go away.
From day 1, it was all about who was getting the money.

Needed to occur, but IMO it shows the PGA was all about the money

Hammer

Reaction score
I don't. The only reason LIV had any affect is because they spent billions of public dollars with a guy who had a personal agenda against the pga. If Norman hadn't of blown his 6 shot lead at the '96 Masters he'd not have been so butthurt by the negative publicity from that, he did not handle it well.
Did LIV's creation cause new formats & payouts on the pga? Sure.
But LIV was never going to compete as far as historical rounds/tourneys or prestige. The tiny bit of tv I did see them play sucked. Horrible production honestly.
In my mind when all this shit started boiling over I figured by the time most of the 4yr LIV player contracts were to end we'd see a merger or takeover with the pga still maintaining majority.
Here we are.
from my perspective it has less to do with LIV vs PGA and more to do with the PGA sitting on their high horse bashing and banning quality golfers from competing in PGA events because they joined LIV. Whether it was LIV or any other tour it had to happen.

The PGA’s public stance regarding competition and revoking tour cards was bad. I lost respect for the PGA as a casual fan and it turned me away from watching their tournaments.

The fact that they conceded after such a hard stance makes them look soft and greedy. I’m curious to see what Rory and the other PGA players have to say that black balled their competitors for going to LIV…

Singleton

Reaction score
from my perspective it has less to do with LIV vs PGA and more to do with the PGA sitting on their high horse bashing and banning quality golfers from competing in PGA events because they joined LIV. Whether it was LIV or any other tour it had to happen.

The PGA’s public stance regarding competition and revoking tour cards was bad. I lost respect for the PGA as a casual fan and it turned me away from watching their tournaments.

The fact that they conceded after such a hard stance makes them look soft and greedy. I’m curious to see what Rory and the other PGA players have to say that black balled their competitors for going to LIV…
I used to like Rory. However what he said about LIV and those golfers who went to LIV was a huge turn-off.
It will be interesting how those LIV golfers get their PGA cards back and what team golf (LIV) events occur in 2024.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

It is an Elitist sport and they do things different than us normal people😄😁 I also don't quite buy into the pga conceding, more like LIV did to a large degree. It seems as though they took Norman off the negotiating table and let a sensible Arab figure a way to stop the major hemorrhaging and remain viable in the golf world. They were bleeding cash faster than Joe Biden can print it. LIV's tv deal has been a fail.
I think there was very little personal barbs thrown out at each other, it was more about the $ source & predatory method.
The posturing by some players are akin to the Chevy guy who'll never buy a Ford, even if it's better/nicer or vice-versa.
It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the next few years because I do believe the top players did miss competing with one another. It will make it a bit tougher for the lesser ranked player when there are full fields again.

Albert

Reaction score
I can picture the first tournament all of them together
1686071291173.gif

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I used to like Rory. However what he said about LIV and those golfers who went to LIV was a huge turn-off.
It will be interesting how those LIV golfers get their PGA cards back and what team golf (LIV) events occur in 2024.
I used to like Phil😉😎
People say mean things during a divorce. Adults will get past it & move forward.......others will hold a grudge their lifetime.

Singleton

Reaction score
I used to like Phil😉😎
People say mean things during a divorce. Adults will get past it & move forward.......others will hold a grudge their lifetime.
Adulting is hard :)

Quick chat with Jr and he heard the following from our family friend :). Come 2024 you will see LIV events (team golf events) and then have PGA Tour events. Players will be able to create a team and play in those LIV events. Should create some good TV with the back and forth between teams, once all tour players are allowed to play. The team events will be limited (number of teams) and will follow the current LIV format (excluding individual winners).

LIV golfers had annual contracts that had a 4 year term (LIV option - so options will not be activated in 2024), so LIV golfers should be allowed to earn their card back for 2024.

Still some bad blood between certain players for what was said, but that will go away with time. Norman will get payout and walk away from LIV in 2024.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I think Normans beef with the PGA stems from his idea for World Golf Tour and was rejected by the PGA then the PGA goes and develops the WGC.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
The PGA players are not happy for staying and being loyal. The LIV guys took a huge paycheck and will return to normal. The PGA rules these guys with an iron fist and some were fed up. It’s not just Norman that was mad. I can’t imagine being an athlete and having someone else own the rights to everything I do while playing.

BajaT

Reaction score
PGA did not take LIV seriously. Koepka wins PGA Championship.....Everyone was saying how LIV golfers won't be able to compete as they are basically playing in an exhibition once a month... PGA ratings down. Rumors of more big names leaving to join LIV......PGA had no choice....The Rorys and Spieths are crying today. Spieth and Thomas cry on the course enough as it is......

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Lol I’m dying laughing at all of the people who were so anti LIV. Now Twitter is full of people saying how this may be a good thing. 🤣

No Shit!! Doing business with the country in charge of flying those planes into the buildings on 9/11. Is anyone going to boycott watching golf or are we still concentrating on Bud Light?

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
No Shit!! Doing business with the country in charge of flying those planes into the buildings on 9/11. Is anyone going to boycott watching golf or are we still concentrating on Bud Light?

You’d have to boycott Israhell and your own beloved USA.

Saudi was just the delivery system.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
To be honest, the whole thing.kind of ruined Professional Golf for me. Haven't really watched any tournaments all year. Probably be a while till I get back into the swing of things, no pun intended.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Tweet from Koepka today: "Welfare Check on Chamblee". LMAO.

The payoff to the players from LIV were guaranteed "winnings", so they didn't get a big fat check to start, just a guarantee against their anticipated winnings in the tournaments. So if they were guaranteed $100M over 10 years, and only won $8M a year, then LIV would make up the $2M difference. I am sure it is structured differently for some, but that was my understanding at the beginning.

hallett21

Reaction score
Tweet from Koepka today: "Welfare Check on Chamblee". LMAO.

The payoff to the players from LIV were guaranteed "winnings", so they didn't get a big fat check to start, just a guarantee against their anticipated winnings in the tournaments. So if they were guaranteed $100M over 10 years, and only won $8M a year, then LIV would make up the $2M difference. I am sure it is structured differently for some, but that was my understanding at the beginning.
And I believe they had to see their “contract” all the way through otherwise you owed the difference.

hallett21

Reaction score
The internet is firing on all cylinders today lol

9B467460-9A41-44D9-8B96-49BC8A4C484A.png

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
GOLF

What happens to the LIV players’ contracts if they rejoin the PGA Tour? Can they keep the money?
Analyzing the fine print in the contracts which 48 players signed with LIV Golf will be the next task for sports lawyers.
Andy Hall

Analyzing the fine print in the contracts which 48 players signed with LIV Golf will be the next task for sports lawyers.
SAM GREENWOOD
AFP

The world golf community is still reeling from the bombshell announcement that will unify the game in a new merger between the PGA Tour, DP World Tour and the Saudi-funded rival tournament LIV Golf.

The fine details of the new alliance are still emerging. From what has been confirmed, we understand that an agreement has been signed to see both organizations join forces to combine their commercial businesses and rights into a new, yet unnamed for-profit company. It also means that the PGA Tour has dropped all pending antitrust lawsuits involving LIV Golf with immediate effect.

The PGA suspended and served fines to all of the players who signed up for the inaugural LIV Golf season, which comprised seven 54-hole tournaments and was wrapped up with a team championship event in Miami back in October. A total of 48 players took part, with many of PGA Tour’s big names jumping ship.

Of those participants, 11 players, including Phil Mickelson, Ian Poulter, Bryson DeChambeau, Abraham Ancer, Carlos Ortiz, Pat Perez, Jason Kokrak and Peter Uihlein filed an antitrust lawsuit against the PGA in August last year to challenge the body’s “anti-competitive rules and practices that prevent these independent-contractor golfers from playing when and where they choose.”

So what happens now to the 48 players who signed contracts with LIV Golf? Some of them signed highly lucrative deals. For confidentiality reasons, not a great deal has been disclosed about the contents of the contracts which the players signed with LIV Golf. It only emerged that Phil Mickelson agreed a $200 million deal and Dustin Johnson, one for $125 million after judge Beth Freeman ordered documents to be unsealed at the PGA Tour’s request during a prosecution hearing at the start of the year.

We know little else about the terms and conditions of those contacts, other than in some cases, players were obliged to take part in each LIV Golf event at the organisers’ behest. There were also severe penalties for breaching contracts - in many cases, penalty clauses that were several times the player’s signing bonus.

Not much has emerged about the lengths of the contracts which players signed with LIV Golf. While some may have agreed short-term arrangements, others signed longer deals - and will be under contract through the 2025 season.

Whether those LIV Golf contracts will remain legally enforceable when the new tournament starts depends on what is contained in the small print - and whether there is a clause for appearing at an event and what the insurance terms say. It seems unlikely that players will be paid the total sum agreed for an appearance if the event no longer exists or did not take place.

Sorting out those contracts will be the next task for LIV Golf’s team of sports lawyers and determining whether any of those who have valid contracts will be due any financial compensation in case of a nullity.

As things stand, the three groups have vowed to establish “a fair and objective process for any players who want to re-apply for membership with the PGA Tour or DP World Tour” at the end of the 2023 season.

The PGA TOUR, DP World Tour and the Public Investment Fund (PIF) today announced a landmark agreement to unify the game of golf, on a global basis. The parties have signed an agreement that combines PIF’s golf-related commercial businesses and rights (including LIV Golf) with the commercial businesses and rights of the PGA TOUR and DP World Tour into a new, collectively owned, for-profit entity to ensure that all stakeholders benefit from a model that delivers maximum excitement and competition among the game’s best players.

In addition, PIF will make a capital investment into the new entity to facilitate its growth and success. The new entity (name TBD) will implement a plan to grow these combined commercial businesses, drive greater fan engagement and accelerate growth initiatives already underway. With LIV Golf in the midst of its second, groundbreaking season, the PGA TOUR, DP World Tour and PIF will work together to best feature and grow team golf going forward.

Notably, today’s announcement will be followed by a mutually agreed end to all pending litigation between the participating parties. Further, the three organizations will work cooperatively and in good faith to establish a fair and objective process for any players who desire to re-apply for membership with the PGA TOUR or the DP World Tour following the completion of the 2023 season and for determining fair criteria and terms of re-admission, consistent with each Tour’s policies.

“After two years of disruption and distraction, this is a historic day for the game we all know and love,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Jay Monahan. “This transformational partnership recognizes the immeasurable strength of the PGA TOUR’s history, legacy and pro-competitive model and combines with it the DP World Tour and LIV – including the team golf concept – to create an organization that will benefit golf’s players, commercial and charitable partners and fans. Going forward, fans can be confident that we will, collectively, deliver on the promise we’ve always made – to promote competition of the best in professional golf and that we are committed to securing and driving the game’s future.

“We are pleased to move forward, in step with LIV and PIF’s world-class investing experience, and I applaud PIF Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan for his vision and collaborative and forward-thinking approach that is not just a solution to the rift in our game, but also a commitment to taking it to new heights. This will engender a new era in global golf, for the better.”

“Today is a very exciting day for this special game and the people it touches around the world,” said PIF Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan. “We are proud to partner with the PGA TOUR to leverage PIF’s unparalleled success and track record of unlocking value and bringing innovation and global best practices to business and sectors worldwide. We are committed to unifying, promoting and growing the game of golf around the world and offering the highest-quality product to the many millions of long-time fans globally, while cultivating new fans.

“There is no question that the LIV model has been positively transformative for golf. We believe there are opportunities for the game to evolve while also maintaining its storied history and tradition. This partnership represents the best opportunity to extend and increase the impact of golf for all. We look forward to collaborating with Jay and Keith to bring the best version of the game to communities around the world.”

Under the terms of the agreement, the Board of Directors of the new entity will oversee and direct all the new entity’s golf-related commercial operations, businesses and investments. The new entity will work to ensure a cohesive schedule of events that will be exciting for fans, sponsors and all stakeholders. PIF will initially be the exclusive investor in the new entity, alongside the PGA TOUR, LIV Golf and the DP World Tour. Going forward, PIF will have the exclusive right to further invest in the new entity, including a right of first refusal on any capital that may be invested in the new entity, including into the PGA TOUR, LIV Golf and DP World Tour. The PGA TOUR will appoint a majority of the Board and hold a majority voting interest in the combined entity.

Separately, PGA TOUR Inc. will remain in place as a 501(c)(6) tax exempt organization and retains administrative oversight of events for those assets contributed by the PGA TOUR, including the sanctioning of events, the administration of the competition and rules, as well as all other “inside the ropes” responsibilities, with Jay Monahan as Commissioner and Ed Herlihy as PGA TOUR Policy Board Chairman. PIF’s Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan will join the PGA TOUR Policy Board. The DP World Tour and LIV Golf will retain similar administrative oversight of events on their respective Tours.

The Board of Directors of the new commercial entity will include Al-Rumayyan as Chairman and Monahan as Chief Executive Officer; the new entity’s Board will also include an Executive Committee comprising Al-Rumayyan, Monahan, Herlihy and PGA TOUR Policy Board member Jimmy Dunne. The full Board will be announced at a later date, and it is anticipated that all three founding members will have representation.

Keith Pelley, Chief Executive of the DP World Tour, said “This is a momentous day. We are delighted to be able to not only reignite our relationship with PIF, but also to have the opportunity to build on our current Strategic Alliance partnership with the PGA TOUR. Together we will be stronger than ever and well positioned to continue to bring the game to all corners of the globe. To partner in this new entity and influence the growth of the game for all our DP World Tour members is energizing and exciting.”

All parties will work in the months to come to finalize terms of the agreement, with details to be announced in due course.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Huge anti-trust issues forced the PGA to capitulate.

alohajeff

Reaction score
This PGA / LIV merger stinks worse than the 500,000 gallons of sewage they dumped into Lake Mead a few days ago.

Aloha

Last edited:

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
IMO

LIV finally paid "Mafia $$$" that the PGA Tour requested for Tour members to complete in "LIV" non sanctioned Tour events.

which has been ongoing for decades.

LIV flipped the Bird on that original proposal...

sounds like a backroom deal was struck..

also, Tiger and Rory were consulted on this merger...

NFW it was TIMMY BOY decision..

just my opinion...

PS... the PGA TOUR Professionals was started by Annie, Jack and Player...

who told PGA of America...

"We are the TOUR" and We will run it as we see fit $$$$"

Singleton

Reaction score
IMO

LIV finally paid "Mafia $$$" that the PGA Tour requested for Tour members to complete in "LIV" non sanctioned Tour events.

which has been ongoing for decades.

LIV flipped the Bird on that original proposal...

sounds like a backroom deal was struck..

also, Tiger and Rory were consulted on this merger...

NFW it was TIMMY BOY decision..

just my opinion...

PS... the PGA TOUR Professionals was started by Annie, Jack and Player...

who told PGA of America...

"We are the TOUR" and We will run it as we see fit $$$$"

For 50 years, the PGA of America and the PGA Tour have been separate organizations.
Based on the interviews, Rory had no idea. The negotiations have been going on for 7 weeks by 2 PGA Tour board members.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
For 50 years, the PGA of America and the PGA Tour have been separate organizations.
Based on the interviews, Rory had no idea. The negotiations have been going on for 7 weeks by 2 PGA Tour board members.
Rory, actually said he knew of negotiations ongoing between the tour and LIV.... stated in his recent interview.... said he was suprised it happen so fast.....

maybe that was a slip?..

I don't know Jack

just my gut feeling....

“I learned about it at pretty much the same time that everyone else did,” McIlroy said. “And yeah, it was a surprise.

"I knew there had been discussions going on in the background, I knew that lines of communication had been opened up. I obviously didn’t expect it to happen as quickly as it did.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out.
It would suck for the players that stayed loyal to PGA to get nothing, while those who left got fat payouts.....but with risk comes reward.

What does the deal involve?​

The organisations said in a joint news release that they will work together to allow a process for LIV Golf players to reapply for membership on the PGA Tour and DP World Tour, formerly known as the European Tour, following the 2023 season.

The name of the newly merged entity and the precise structure of the tours have yet to be announced. Yasir al-Rumayyan, the governor of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), will chair the board of the new entity and PGA Tour’s Monahan will be CEO.

-Al Jazeera News

Singleton

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out.
It would suck for the players that stayed loyal to PGA to get nothing, while those who left got fat payouts.....but with risk comes reward.

What does the deal involve?​

The organisations said in a joint news release that they will work together to allow a process for LIV Golf players to reapply for membership on the PGA Tour and DP World Tour, formerly known as the European Tour, following the 2023 season.

The name of the newly merged entity and the precise structure of the tours have yet to be announced. Yasir al-Rumayyan, the governor of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), will chair the board of the new entity and PGA Tour’s Monahan will be CEO.

-Al Jazeera News
Monahan will not survive this. Once the deal is complete and finalized, he will get voted out by the players.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
So the PGA Tour gets more Saudi money and the LIV golf issues go away.
From day 1, it was all about who was getting the money.

Needed to occur, but IMO it shows the PGA was all about the money
If only that worked for NHRA.