WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Well that hurt. Need some diesel advice.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
IMG_0085.jpeg

Picture says it all. I’m okay but sore. Happened quick like it always does.

Question. Kubota wouldn’t shut off. Pulled key out and it ran for another minute angry as hell rpm’s going up and down and dumping white smoke. I finally got it to shut off by trying to operate hydraulics while it was on the side and it stalled. I’m a Consturction guy- not a mechanic. I got up it upright and had to fire it up to get it out of the area. I assumed I blew the motor but it’s running (what seems like) fine. Only ran it for 30 seconds to a minute. What should I do now? Change oil? Coolant? Etc or just check fluids? What happens when you run a diesel on its side and it’s dumping smoke?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
View attachment 1230092

Question. Kubota wouldn’t shut off. Pulled key out and it ran for another minute angry as hell rpm’s going up and down and dumping white smoke. I finally got it to shut off by trying to operate hydraulics while it was on the side and it stalled. I’m a Consturction guy- not a mechanic. I got up it upright and had to fire it up to get it out of the area. I assumed I blew the motor but it’s running (what seems like) fine. Only ran it for 30 seconds to a minute. What should I do now? Change oil? Coolant? Etc or just check fluids? What happens when you run a diesel on its side and it’s dumping smoke?
Sorry that I am not any help. Best of luck to you moving forward. Good to hear that no one got hurt.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
change the oil and top off the coolant and run it. best case scenario nothing was hurt and youll be fine, worst case scenario starvation of oil killed the bearings and theres nothing you can do except rebuild/replace the engine anyway.

personally I lean more towards the end that you will probably be ok without any significant damage.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
change the oil and top off the coolant and run it. best case scenario nothing was hurt and youll be fine, worst case scenario starvation of oil killed the bearings and theres nothing you can do except rebuild/replace the engine anyway.

personally I lean more towards the end that you will probably be ok without any significant damage.
Thank you. I’m gonna change the oil this week and check it out. These little kubotas are work horses.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Oil change wouldn’t hurt. Take note of the level and it might tell you if some is missing. I’m guessing it was running on oil and that would explain the smoke. Just like a gasoline motor will “diesel” with the key off if something is out of wack. You would notice diesel in the coolant pretty easily so I would just check it and see what you smell but that should be fine as well. I would probably just run it if it was mine but I wasn’t there for the whole experience. Maybe a hydraulic fluid reservoir dumping into the intake when it tipped?

Your ad here

Reaction score
The crankcase oil entered the intake from the vent on the valve cover, that is plumbed into the intake or turbo. That's why it "ran away".
Change the oil. Open the oil filter and inspect the filter media for any signs of metal.

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
The crankcase oil entered the intake from the vent on the valve cover, that is plumbed into the intake or turbo. That's why it "ran away".
Change the oil. Open the oil filter and inspect the filter media for any signs of metal.
^^^This^^^ most likely nothing wrong

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
^^^This right here. She was ingesting oil.

That looks like the little 2 cylinder one? The 2 and 3 cylinder motors are stout little bastards. On a tractor, after a tip like that, check your hydraulic disconnects, as I've seen them get packed with dirt, and partially release. It will give you slow or goofy controls. Kubota's have good fluid caps, but the vents may have leaked out some drive or accessory fluid.

Glad you're alright, real easy to break a leg or arm when things go sideways.

4Waters

Reaction score
View attachment 1230092

You're not an operator with DWP are you, if so this will be our little secret 😉🤣

Roosky01

Reaction score
I would pull the pan and look at the bearings. I’m thinking they are probably toast. Personally, I’d rather slide some new bearings in and not take a chance of running it and hurting it any further, but that’s just me.

Glad you are ok!

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
^^^This right here. She was ingesting oil.

That looks like the little 2 cylinder one? The 2 and 3 cylinder motors are stout little bastards. On a tractor, after a tip like that, check your hydraulic disconnects, as I've seen them get packed with dirt, and partially release. It will give you slow or goofy controls. Kubota's have good fluid caps, but the vents may have leaked out some drive or accessory fluid.

Glad you're alright, real easy to break a leg or arm when things go sideways.
I was hoping you would chime in. Thank you for the info 👍

wallnutz

Reaction score
Check the oil, run it for a few minutes if the levels are good. Change the oil and send it in for analysis, that will tell you if there is bearing material in it.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Dang, bummer, but glad you are OK. Do you have water in the tires or wheel weight? May not be common in the smaller tractors, but some extra ballast down low never hurts. Hope the tractor is good and body heals quick.
No water or wheel weights. It’s a little tractor and does a ton of good work but the work I’m using it for now would be better suited for a skid steer

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
No water or wheel weights. It’s a little tractor and does a ton of good work but the work I’m using it for now would be better suited for a skid steer

I have the bx2680 and came close to doing what you did. Scared me enough that I rented a skid steer to finish the job. I wish I had a bigger tractor, but the area I have to bush hog is too narrow for a larger one. Glad you are ok.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'm in agreement that it ingested crankcase oil while on its side. Like most I'd wager it probably will be fine.
Fyi..
If something like that happens again choke/block the carb to kill it from running off.

Warlock1

Reaction score
I don't see a need to change the oil, just check the level and add since it sounds like it was burning it. I would pull the air cleaner and check it. As someone else said if there is damage to bearings, you have to do a rebuild anyway so just run it and monitor. Now if you want to see a run away google Detroit Diesel. I've seen those things suck rags that someone thought would block the air intake.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
We have had a lot of them end up on their side. Get ‘em back over quickly, let all the fluids settle, check all the levels and run em. Good call on changing the oil and sending it in for analysis for bearing material.👍🏻

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
On a side note, runaway diesels are no joke when they take off.😳

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Ran it for about an hour. I sign of trouble in oil just a little low. Motor is making a knocking noise. More obvious in video than in person. Not sure if it’s internal or something outside the motor. My ears can’t pinpoint like they used to. Also gets quieter with rpm. Not sure if that’s because Tom is masking the noise or what. If it was a bearing issue would it get louder with rpm increase?

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Looks like it’s leaking a good amount of diesel at those fuel line fittings. Injectors make weird noises when they aren’t firing correctly. Good luck.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Looks like it’s leaking a good amount of diesel at those fuel line fittings. Injectors make weird noises when they aren’t firing correctly. Good luck.
Thanks and yes I def have a diesel leak I need to concentrate on also.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Is there video of the incident? Just to be sure the motor is OK 😁

Your ad here

Reaction score
What model is the tractor? Is the engine shaking more than normal?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
kind of strikes me as an early ignition event from the sounds of the video

BingerFang

Reaction score
Glad you are ok, that could have ended terrible.

Where did you buy the tractor from?