WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Went shopping for a new BBQ .....

WAAZ

Reaction score
IMG_4993.JPG
Got side-tracked and this happened instead. Do any of you guys cook one a grill top?
I'm doing the seasoning process now - any tips, tricks I need to know?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Don't know any tricks but I may get one of those soon, I have heard good thing from my fellow campers a few times.

riverrat4lfe

Reaction score
I got 2 one for the river house and one for my house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DLC

Reaction score
Those are sweet for breakfast and also burgers with onions....

I’d like one and have been looking for some wife buy in.... no dice yet.

Congratulations you’ll have some great eats on that baby

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Get the cover for it if you havn't already. Great for cooking breakfast, bacon, potatoes eggs all at once. Thing gets da.n toasty.
20161228_083725.jpg

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
We have one in pismo, one in big bear and one for camping. I love cooking on them.

IMG_0120.jpg

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I have the Blue Rhino one.....I picked it over the Blackstone one cuz mine has folding covers that work good for shelves on the side when opened. At the time I think the Blackstone didnt even have the side shelves. Both were about the same ....I think $250 if I remember right. Was at Wallymart the other day and looks like they are stepping up their game with these. I think they were Blackstone....maybe another brand, but they were a lil fancier. One had a lid but was just a loose lid that hung off back....the other had attached lids like mine....one even had a side burner...but the grill was a lil smaller....couple different choices...but in the $500 range.

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Stir fry/fajitas are the bomb on it. Carne asada...tortillas.....nice to have another cooking source to mix it up. Lol

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Oh...for the new guy....make sure you "season" it....kinda like a cast iron skillet....I find that bacon grease keeps it nice and seasoned. :D

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
I caught one a few years back on Black Friday. $99 from Wal Mart. Best money I spent. Between that and the Traeger, I haven’t used a propane grill in years.

It’s pretty versatile. We’ve done breakfast, stir fry, Benihana type dinner, cheesesteaks and much more.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cnj

Reaction score
View attachment 736247 Got side-tracked and this happened instead. Do any of you guys cook one a grill top?
I'm doing the seasoning process now - any tips, tricks I need to know?

I have that same exact one. Love it. It is awesome for everything from pancakes to french toast to eggs and bacon. I am tempted to do a steak on it and see how it turns out. If good, I may say goodbye to my propane BBQ grill.

dave29

Reaction score
I have the same model also. You can buy a hard top for it from Blackstone. Amazon carries the top also. Makes it easy to not get the griddle surface oil on the bottom side of the cover. Bacon for sure. I also use it for Teppan style Japanese cooking with chicken or veggies in soy. Cut up a steak into cubes, add butter and a little soy or Teriyaki and cook it medium rare. Great.
Congratulations!!

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Great barbecue I have the same one just bought a split top grill marks on one side griddle on the other asparagus and squash Great choice

rickym20

Reaction score
Awesome grills, works great on camping trips. Some how I got stuck cooking all meals between this and the treager on trips....haha the wife says I should have bought it along time ago:rolleyes:. I love it so far!

Reactions: DWC

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Just ordered the 27" from Stresssale, 79.99 with free shipping.

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I have the 22" model. I added the lid to it. Love it! Big enough for family meals at home and easy to take out camping . :D

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Pretty easy. You either scrape or use a wet rag while it’s really hot.

Yup.....while hot.....just scrape over any grease or crumbs into the hole....mine has a lil cup that you can empty. While warm.....slap a coat of oil on it to keep it seasoned for the next use. That's why I say get one with a cover....it will keep the griddle cleaner for next use.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I've never cooked on one of these, but cook daily on a commercial gas grill at the restaurant. For clean up we use a grill brick which takes everything off back down to shiny metal. The grill has a nice sheen and a bit of residual oil.

Again I'm not familiar with these portable units, but y'all might stop at a restaurant supply and grab a grill brick. They are cheap and the best way to clean s grill. They work well on grates as well.

Video how they work. Looks like it was filmed way back when.....:D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Anyone use one of these at Glamis?
The look like fun but in the back of my mind... oiled, seasoned cook surface, wind blown sand...fuck....

Does anyone make something like this that can be both? A BBQ grill when wanted and a griddle top when needed? On the same unit?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone use one of these at Glamis?
The look like fun but in the back of my mind... oiled, seasoned cook surface, wind blown sand...fuck....

Does anyone make something like this that can be both? A BBQ grill when wanted and a griddle top when needed? On the same unit?

Yes. Look into the camp chef. That’s what I have in my Toy hauler. They have different tops for different uses. In times of high wind the food will get a little gritty.