Wh owns this wood drag boat?? Lichfield

boatpi

Reaction score
Anyone. Has a nice Hemi. BPI
drag boat 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

outboardrick

Reaction score
Don't know who owns the boat but the motor is out of my old Placecraft jet boat...... I knew the guy that I sold the boat to was thinking of selling it, this is the first I've heard or seen of it.

boatpi

Reaction score
That answers the question about the motor. Good eye.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That's a bad ass lookin right there!

RD

Dave Sammons

Reaction score
Anyone. Has a nice Hemi. BPI
attachment.php

Boat was built in 1971. Picture below was taken at Snug Harbor in Carlsbad.
Owned by Scotty McCally who was a friend of Mary Rife owner/driver of Proud Mary BFH(he went on to become her husband later in life).
Hull is an all wood Litchfield built here in Carlsbad(I was eleven sweeping the shop as it was being built).
All the Rigging was done by Scotty and featured all Hemi Engineering parts including the V-Drive and Steering(Sprint Car style)
The engine originally was a 427 ford side oiler with Mickey Thompson Hemi heads(these are now VERY rare).

Fast forward to 2002...I get a call to ride up to Canyon Lake with Clyde Dedrick to go look over an all wood Litchfield...Garage door opens and there it is!
Motor was apart and on the bench...boat was complete. Clyde buys the boat we drag it home, boat sits. Clyde sold the Mickey Thompson engine to the owner
of Speedway Motors a few years ago.
Year or so ago he sold the boat to a buyer from New Zealand. About 6 months ago, I think, Hemi shows up...I made all the engine mounts and got it in the boat.
Far as I know it was going into a container and it was getting shipped down under.
Needs a complete restoration of the deck and paint, but rigging and rest of boat is really sweet!
Dave
scotty.jpg

boatpi

Reaction score
I am often asked to assist LE from local agencies, U.S Custom,s and N.I.C.B to ID boats and trailers. At times I reach out on RD to get some help.

I cannot thanks everyone enough for such a details history of this boat with photos. Dave u are amazing on the history, many thanks.

Most of this assistance is geared to document clarification and verification, and at times ID for possible stolen boats. The response will greatly assist the agency in clarifying this boats documents and ID.

BPI

boatpi

Reaction score
I have offered to by any RDP member beers at odd places. They include, in Moldova at a KGB controlled night club, Canmore Alberta Canada at Grizzlys, at Ice Fields on the glacier, at the golf club in P.E.I., "The End bar in Key West, and a number of remote places in HI.

So here we go again in my odd way, third week of August (18-22) in the VIP lounge at the Marriott Pinnacle along the waterfront in Vancouver B.C. The Platinum member lounge overlooks Vancouver Island and Canada Place.

PM me and name a time as I will be at the lounge late everyday. The power of RDP...BPI

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have offered to by any RDP member beers at odd places. They include, in Moldova at a KGB controlled night club, Canmore Alberta Canada at Grizzlys, at Ice Fields on the glacier, at the golf club in P.E.I., "The End bar in Key West, and a number of remote places in HI.

So here we go again in my odd way, third week of August (18-22) in the VIP lounge at the Marriott Pinnacle along the waterfront in Vancouver B.C. The Platinum member lounge overlooks Vancouver Island and Canada Place.

PM me and name a time as I will be at the lounge late everyday. The power of RDP...BPI

You're located in Canada? I thought you were a So Cal guy?

RD

boatpi

Reaction score
Nope, in Surf City but I had a vacation home in Canada and still travel up north. It may be a while until I am pulled away from the Catalina views and ocean. Being semi retired when work slows down I get away pretty much every other month.

For those who travel and golf I put this near the top of my list: http://www.golfpei.ca/ followed by : http://www.silvertipresort.com/

outboardrick

Reaction score
Owned by Scotty McCally who was a friend of Mary Rife owner/driver of Proud Mary BFH(he went on to become her husband later in life).
Hull is an all wood Litchfield built here in Carlsbad(I was eleven sweeping the shop as it was being built).
All the Rigging was done by Scotty and featured all Hemi Engineering parts including the V-Drive and Steering(Sprint Car style)
The engine originally was a 427 ford side oiler with Mickey Thompson Hemi heads(these are now VERY rare).

Fast forward to 2002...I get a call to ride up to Canyon Lake with Clyde Dedrick to go look over an all wood Litchfield...Garage door opens and there it is!
Motor was apart and on the bench...boat was complete. Clyde buys the boat we drag it home, boat sits. Clyde sold the Mickey Thompson engine to the owner
Year or so ago he sold the boat to a buyer from New Zealand. About 6 months ago, I think, Hemi shows up...I made all the engine mounts and got it in the boat.
Far as I know it was going into a container and it was getting shipped down under.
Needs a complete restoration of the deck and paint, but rigging and rest of boat is really sweet!
Dave
scotty.jpg

Dave,
If anyone needs more history on the motor let me know.....I owned it for over 20 years and went through it a couple of times. It is basically an old Top Fuel motor that has been detuned for gas.
Rick

boatpi

Reaction score
The questions surrounding the boat an documents are resolved. Thanks to all involved.

As we al know so much shit is stolen and sold tracing it can be trying, these are not autos or auto parts so numbering is much different.

AS AN EXAMPLE, THIS BOAT WAS CUT INTO PIECES, THE ENGINES, DRIVES ARE STILL OUT THERE....???? http://www.boatman.com/images/brambila_stolen.pdf

Attachments

• rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 394
  • ft.jpg
    ft.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 395

Craig Gilbert

Reaction score

Dave
scotty.jpg
Hello from down under, New Zealand, I purchased this boat from Clyde and he made some mounts to sit a blowen 392 Hemi engine in the boat for shipping to NZ, after all these years we are finally starting the restoration, I have some great friends helping me out Jody Wilson, Paul Walker, and Don Weir all from our local rural town. The engine now has Zoomie headers and period correct mechanical injection, I will post pics of the process if any one’s interested?. I stand to be corrected but I thought Clyde told me it was a 1965 build? I may have got that wrong! I was also told that the boat had never been in the water! Not sure can any one help? , the boats been in dry storage and the engine turned over when needed, it just beautiful and my intention is to get it back to the show boat it once was, is the original 427 side Oiler still around?I would also like to contact Rick that owned the Hemi that’s now in the boat? Any information would be appreciated,mystery solved! Thanks.

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
Hello from down under, New Zealand, I purchased this boat from Clyde and he made some mounts to sit a blowen 392 Hemi engine in the boat for shipping to NZ, after all these years we are finally starting the restoration, I have some great friends helping me out Jody Wilson, Paul Walker, and Don Weir all from our local rural town. The engine now has Zoomie headers and period correct mechanical injection, I will post pics of the process if any one’s interested?. I stand to be corrected but I thought Clyde told me it was a 1965 build? I may have got that wrong! I was also told that the boat had never been in the water! Not sure can any one help? , the boats been in dry storage and the engine turned over when needed, it just beautiful and my intention is to get it back to the show boat it once was, is the original 427 side Oiler still around?I would also like to contact Rick that owned the Hemi that’s now in the boat? Any information would be appreciated,mystery solved! Thanks.
Welcome to the boards

rrrr

Reaction score
Thank you, I am really looking forward to interacting with like minded people, there will be an amazing amount of knowledge and passion with in the group, thanks again.

You do any dirt track racing? I have a couple of friends from NZ, Glenn Martin and Michael Pickings. They both moved to the US a few years back. Glenn is a crew chief and Micheal is a driver in the USAC midget series.

Craig Gilbert

Reaction score
You do any dirt track racing? I have a couple of friends from NZ, Glenn Martin and Michael Pickings. They both moved to the US a few years back. Glenn is a crew chief and Micheal is a driver in the USAC midget series.

Hi there , i have been involved with circuit racing for 30+ years, i dont no these speedway guys!, we currently run a series 2 Camaro in CMC here in NZ. 5,000,000 people here now!

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Saw the boat years ago at Clydes barn / shop. Definitely a piece of Litchfield brothers beautiful craftsmanship.

Here are a couple articles on the Mickey Thompson 427 Fe.

I’ll never forget the look of those pushrods. Lol. He definitely wasn’t against thinking outside the box.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hi there , i have been involved with circuit racing for 30+ years, i dont no these speedway guys!, we currently run a series 2 Camaro in CMC here in NZ. 5,000,000 people here now!

Welcome to the forum.. To "tag" someone in a post put an @ sign in front of their screen name and the website will notify them. If they have notifications turned off and you want to get a hold of them about the boat and they have posted on here before, let me know and I can shoot them an e-mail for you if I have their address on file.

Looking forward to seeing the restoration!

RD

Craig Gilbert

Reaction score
Saw the boat years ago at Clydes barn / shop. Definitely a piece of Litchfield brothers beautiful craftsmanship.

Here are a couple articles on the Mickey Thompson 427 Fe.

I’ll never forget the look of those pushrods. Lol. He definitely wasn’t against thinking outside the box.

Hi thank you very much for sharing this, I didn’t realize Clyde had this engine! Next time I’m in CA I will go see him and ask to see it in person, fantastic history thank you for taking the time.

Craig Gilbert

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.. To "tag" someone in a post put an @ sign in front of their screen name and the website will notify them. If they have notifications turned off and you want to get a hold of them about the boat and they have posted on here before, let me know and I can shoot them an e-mail for you if I have their address on file.

Looking forward to seeing the restoration!

RD

Thank you RD for the forum, it’s amazing what you can find out! The comments and stories shared so far are really inspirational , I will take pics during the the resto and post, looking forward to getting it up and running thanks regards Craig.

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Hi thank you very much for sharing this, I didn’t realize Clyde had this engine! Next time I’m in CA I will go see him and ask to see it in person, fantastic history thank you for taking the time.

Clyde sold the engine several years back.
Congratulations on the boat & best of luck with the restoration!!

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
If you want another Litchfield, in fact the last one they built, I know where it is and it can be purchased.

Clank123

Reaction score
Hey Craig.
You’ve got a pretty cool piece there.
I went to look at the boat with Clyde when he bought it and the Hemi Ford. The engine ended up in Speedy Bill from Speedway Motors Mueseum in Indiana.
I also built the Hemi mounts for the boat and put the 392 in for him.
Sadly, Clyde’s health has deteriorated badly and he is not seeing visitors anymore. He was quite a character and I’ve got many great memories of the time and work I’ve done for him over the years.
Please don’t hesitate to send me a PM if I can help in any way.
Dave

Craig Gilbert

Reaction score
Hey Craig.
You’ve got a pretty cool piece there.
I went to look at the boat with Clyde when he bought it and the Hemi Ford. The engine ended up in Speedy Bill from Speedway Motors Mueseum in Indiana.
I also built the Hemi mounts for the boat and put the 392 in for him.
Sadly, Clyde’s health has deteriorated badly and he is not seeing visitors anymore. He was quite a character and I’ve got many great memories of the time and work I’ve done for him over the years.
Please don’t hesitate to send me a PM if I can help in any way.
Dave
Hi Dave thanks for your message, I’m sorry to hear of Clydes poor health! The deal I made with Clyde was a fun process , I enjoyed meeting him sadly he would have forgotten more that I know!! Will post pics as we get into the resto, regards Craig.

Craig Gilbert

Reaction score
If you want another Litchfield, in fact the last one they built, I know where it is and it can be purchased.
Hi Bill I am interested in the Litchfield you speak of, can I get some information please? Condition, history, current condition, engine etc, thanks Bill regards Craig.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards @Craig Gilbert I used to live down in the ol' NZed. Wellington and Hawke's Bay mainly. Beautiful country you have down there. Not enough power boating but lot's of other beauty around there. Pre-COVID I had a 2 week trip planned with my 16yo son to show him around NZ. It was early April so it got scratched real quick. Hope to get it back on the books soon. 👍 Again, welcome.

Craig Gilbert

Reaction score
@ J Dunn As you know J there is very limited days and places to run these boats, I live in the middle of the South Island near Timaru, so I have the lakes in the McKenzie basin to play in! Looking forward to that, its a shame you had to cancel your trip down here! If your ever down my way look me up, I have a small used car dealership Craig Gilbert motors.co.nz

DAZZA

Reaction score

A fantastic looking boat and for all those following this post, about this Litchfield, this boat is now in fantastic hands.
Ive been lucky enough over the last few years to know Craig and to see what Craig and the lads can put together and cant say enough on the talent that now owns this boat.
Only just joined up to "riverdavesplace" after speaking to Craig and thought i would just plaster up a video, showing one of his fantastic projects and as you can see, a lot of time, a lot of skill has been put into this project and im sure the Litchfield will get the same treatment.

(Hopefully i plastered this up in the right place ;-) )

woodagain

Reaction score
Hi Bill I am interested in the Litchfield you speak of, can I get some information please? Condition, history, current condition, engine etc, thanks Bill regards Craig.

Craig
Let me know if you’re interested in the Litchfield mentioned above or if you’re looking for a complete finished wood deck
Litchfield with a injected Chevy.
DB21A6C9-1580-44AA-9C06-8F36F57C08DE.jpeg

Craig Gilbert

Reaction score
Craig
Let me know if you’re interested in the Litchfield mentioned above or if you’re looking for a complete finished wood deck
Litchfield with a injected Chevy. View attachment 894400
Hi Bill thanks for taking the time, so this is the last Litchfield produced? Looks very nice, I guess it’s been restored? Do you have any more pictures? Any idea what money these folk need? I do prefer all wood look , regards Craig.