WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What’s everyone doing for cable

E4L

Reaction score
Well to make a long story short I’m saying bye to Att we negotiated a price in November then they said they had a price increase in January. Even though in November they told me my pricing was good for a year. So bye bye.

What are you all running?

Reactions: TPC

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Sticking with Directv, have been with them for over 20 years. Prices are way high, but I like the concept of hooking my friends up with extra receivers and have the costs shared. I also like being able to take it with me when we dry camp..

Now that my GF has moved in with me, I will put it in her name and get all new equipment and a lot of free programming for a while.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Direct though we only watch Animal Planet, occasional ESPN and Fox Biz. We have it on the RV and it's nice once and awhile.
Amazon Prime, Netflix Diz+ streaming and YouTube streaming.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I am trying Hulu for a month free to see if I like it. Have had it 2 days and so far it is good. Will try sling next month and then youtube tv.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
No cable, Hulu and Nexflix that’s about it. We don’t watch a lot if TV

4Waters

Reaction score
Dish, Netflix and Disney+. I prefer Dish, my buddy just added me to his Netflix and Disney+ is free for a year since I'm a Verizon customer. I don't like the guide on the streaming services but it's still new to me.

Andy B.

Reaction score
I have an HD antenna works awesome I don't watch a lot of tv my wife and I watch Netflix mostly maybe an hour a night currently watching park and rec.

dave29

Reaction score
Spectrum. Bundled hard line phone, cable and their smokin fast internet. Previously had Century Link, Direct TV since the beginning. and Century Link slower than shit DSL internet. Overall saved about $100 per month. So far, so good.

DLC

Reaction score
If your in Havasu area we do TV antenna and get like 30 plus channels plus we do amazon tv

at home it’s direct tv.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I have an HD antenna works awesome I don't watch a lot of tv my wife and I watch Netflix mostly maybe an hour a night currently watching park and rec.
Netflix, Prime and regular broadcast network tv here!
Over a grand a year to watch TV? No F’ng way!
I’ve posted about it before but I get a kick out of watching the old ass stuff on network tv.
Matchgame! :D
All manor of old shows.
Carson
Fall guy
All the old game shows are rad, so funny seeing “a neeeeew car!” And, it’s a Datsun:)

Singleton

Reaction score
No cable
we have Hulu Live, Disney +, Netflix and Amazon Prime

no issues finding what we like to watch

Reactions: E4L

Meaney77

Reaction score
We have Direct but thinking about cutting the cord and using the Firestick for everything. My kids run the TV and I dont watch much.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Netflix,prime,antenna and a Roku with son's spectrum id for the channels I want.

sintax

Reaction score
I've been 4 years w/o cable and really dont miss it. I pirate 99% of what i watch, but if I was going to do a legitimate streaming service i'd look at a combo of netflix + sling likely, assuming your normal OTA hd antenna is not enough programing. Also make use of the prime video, since I assume everyone has a prime subscription. My choice for a general streaming device is also a firestick. Cant beat them for $25

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Fuck DTV, never gonna give them another penny after 20+ years of being a loyal customer and called them to negotiate my rate of $160 for basic package. They said they couldn't help me so told them to go fuk themselves. And fuk ATT as well...

We have Netflix, Hulu, YouTube tv and OTA antenna that we piggyback from our daughters account.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I also use a Plex server my son runs from his apartment to watch just about anything I want and he will get whatever I want if it is not there.

jbird

Reaction score
HULU Live and Netflix. Canned DTV 6 months ago as cost went way up after our two year contract was up.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
No cable...

YouTube TV, Disney and Motor Trend.

Netflix and and Amazon Prime as well.

There are others, but they are being shared with me. @Angler And I can share my logins as well.

mobldj

Reaction score
screw cable,we use you tube tv.50 bucks,local channels.and theres never anything on tv anyway.lol

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm pretty close to dumping DTV and At&T too. I need better internet anyways. Gotta suck it up and probably go Spectrum for internet but not TV. Will do YouTube TV or Hulu Live......along with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney. Will still be cheaper than what I had by at least 100 bucks.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Call Directv every 3 months day or 2 before free offers expire.Insist on talking to a rep that has good info re new offers.
1-888-777-2454

Nordie

Reaction score
Sling, Netflix, Hulu, and HD antenna. Still have to pay for internet no matter what.

robby dmax

Reaction score
Directv works great for me. Yes it is a little pricey

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Call Directv every 3 months day or 2 before free offers expire.Insist on talking to a rep that has good info re new offers.
1-888-777-2454
Did that for years.. What a pain in the ass that was. Good riddance dtv

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
We have been using Comcast (XFINITY ) now , we use to use ATT, Comcast is cheaper.
We can not use Direct TV, too many trees.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
We are canceling dish $105 a month to watch TV is just dumb.
Going to try Hulu already have Disney and prime.
Cable companies are going to go out of business if they don’t get their prices inline.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Well to make a long story short I’m saying bye to Att we negotiated a price in November then they said they had a price increase in January. Even though in November they told me my pricing was good for a year. So bye bye.

What are you all running?
We signed up for direct tv through Costco for the Havasu house. Got 300 in Costco gift cards for signing up. Had to sign a 2 year contract but paying about 80 a month which is a few bucks less then at home monthly.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Over the air, and Netflix and prime. Since '12
In the low rent side of town.

Dan'l

E4L

Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas.

236eagledave

Reaction score
YoutubeTV very similar to what I was getting from Direct for less than half the money. Also have Amazon Firestick.

E4L

Reaction score
YoutubeTV very similar to what I was getting from Direct for less than half the money. Also have Amazon Firestick.
If I have a smart tv I don’t need the stick correct?
I notice one of my lg tv doesn’t have the YouTube tv app would I need the stick for that?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I notice one of my lg tv doesn’t have the YouTube tv app would I need the stick for that?
Depends on the operating system the TV uses. Basically, see what app store is on the TV. My Vizio TV uses Yahoo for their app store and its beyond outdated. I have to use a Roku stick to get modern apps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I have a Samsung "smart TV" in the family room and it is a pain in the ass.....still haven't figured out how to download and get new apps on it. Either it's not that "smart" or I'm the dumbass....lol. On the the other hand.....I have 4 other TCL Roku TVs in other rooms.....and those things are super easy to use and have a shitload of apps built in. I'm probably gonna lose the Samsung and go with another TCL. You might be able to download the app on your LG....but for me, I can't figure it out on my Samsung.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Imo it depends on your bill amount. If you have a sub $100 bill i would keep it as you obviously watch tv for whatever. If its more id ditch it. Reason being after you add up the basic packages together your getting close to the $80 mark.

We use prime hulu netflix.

I want cable back every now and again just because there are certain channels i cant get with what were using.

jetur

Reaction score
We use Prime, Netfilx, Disney +, and all the free stuff on Fire Stick. Some of the sporting events you can catch live on YouTube, but the live sporting events is our only shortfall.

cofooter

Reaction score
I have a Samsung "smart TV" in the family room and it is a pain in the ass.....still haven't figured out how to download and get new apps on it. Either it's not that "smart" or I'm the dumbass....lol. On the the other hand.....I have 4 other TCL Roku TVs in other rooms.....and those things are super easy to use and have a shitload of apps built in. I'm probably gonna lose the Samsung and go with another TCL. You might be able to download the app on your LG....but for me, I can't figure it out on my Samsung.
I have the same issue, Samsung PIA, the one TCL ROKU TV is awesome and super easy to use, I have one in river garage and use my SIL's Sling account from Phoenix - works great.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Anyone use a Roku Express for non-smart TVs?

Not sure which model Roku we have, it's the stick version you just plug into the TV. We have them on 3 nonsmart TVs and they work great. Watch Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and there is shit I've never heard of on some channels Roku has, lol

rivergames

Reaction score
I use cheap antennas to watch basic channels, 2, 2-2, 4, 4-1, 4-2, 5, 7- 7-2, 7-3, 7-4 ETC.

I pay 49.99 for Spectrum to provide Wifi.

I pay Hulu $5.99 for their cheapest package. I watch shows/movies on YouTube and Amazon Prime.

There is so much free shit out there. I don't watch a whole lot of dudes touching balls (basketball, football, baseball, etc.) so I don't need sports packages at all. All I need is Wifi and I'm set.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Our setup:

$60/month 400 mbps Spectrum internet
$20/month Spectrum basic cable package

Plus:
$ Hulu
$ Netflix
$ Amazon Prime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Baja 252

Reaction score
My wife and I watch way too much TV and we DVR everything we watch to avoid watching commercials. With a house in the city and a place at the lake we paid a cable bill at two locations. Almost $250 a month!! That being said we liked the on-line guide cable gave us, the simple way to record & watch shows and we didn't want to loose that convenience. I've wanted to cut cable for a few years, but just couldn't seem to figure it all out or find the right way to do it without loosing the network shows we want to see, when we wanted to see them.

Two months ago I finally pulled the plug and got rid of cable. In total, at both homes we needed 7 TV's to stream TV, only 2 were new enough to have the latest streaming capability's so I needed to buy streaming devices. Some TV's had a wired internet source available and I wanted to take advantage of that, so I had to get higher end models. I also wanted remotes and everything to be the same for ease of use. After looking at all the options I settled on Roku Ultras. I found a good sale on Amazon for $69 each, not cheap, but I will recoup the money by not paying cable bills.

I already had good interned speeds, so that wasn't an issue. Now I just needed to figure out what services to get, so I'd have the channels we wanted to watch. I found this site very helpful to explore all the options. https://www.suppose.tv/tv

We already had Amazon Prime for free shipping, so that gave us access to Prime Video for free and lots of extra stuff to watch.
Our son has a Netflix account that gives him more users than he needs, so we can use his password and have access to Netflix for more content.
To get the rest of what we wanted, I signed up for You Tube TV at $50 a month. It also gave us a guide and the DVR recording we wanted.
The good news is you get 3 users and that's what I needed, so it works for both homes. So far we're very pleased with it. It's different than cable, but bottom line is it works very well. The guide and DVR isn't as easy to use because it just works different, a little more cumbersome, but we're getting used to it.
The one thing I don't have is the Paramount Network and need to see Yellowstone. As of now I'm thinking I'll get Philo Network for a month and binge watch it after the season is over and then drop the network.

We're still getting used to it, but so far so good. With two locations, good internet speeds, free Netflix and Prime Video access I realize I was a very good candidate to cut cable. I figure after paying for the streaming devices, getting Philo once in a while and maybe Motor Trent TV, I'm saving more than $150 - $175 a month.
With more and more of the quality TV content coming from streaming services it just makes sense to cut cable. At the worse with only one location it would be same money for more content to watch. I should have done this a long time ago.