WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What’s up with all the cops?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have loved here for about twelve years and have never seen it like it has been this week. There are cops EVERYWHERE writing tickets.. Usually you might see two or three in a day. I drove to my building yesterday and all the way home there wasn’t one that wasn’t within eyeshot..

This am is no different? What is going on?

Singleton

Reaction score
snowbird season starting.
trying to get control of those folks before issues start - helps the city budget as well :)

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have loved here for about twelve years and have never seen it like it has been this week. There are cops EVERYWHERE writing tickets.. Usually you might see two or three in a day. I drove to my building yesterday and all the way home there wasn’t one that wasn’t within eyeshot..

Boating is over so back to pavement they go

DWC

Reaction score
Only time i reply see them is on London Bridge Road. They had a speed trap set up a couple weeks ago in front of Blondzies. They did a DUI checkpoint last year on a Saturday night in front of sand/surf storage. People were getting lit up all night.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I can't speak for AZ, but in CA, traffic citations actually cost the city money. Close to 90% of the generated fine goes to the state, and the city gets about 10%. With the amount of time to write and process the ticket, the city loses money. If the ticket is fought and the cop needs to go to court, I myself was paid time and a half for 4 hours, just to show up for 10 minutes and say what I saw.

Again, in CA, the California Office of Traffic Safety will provide big bucks in the form of a grant (usually $150k-$250k) to help pay overtime for DUI checkpoints, saturation patrol, speeding, school zone saturation, etc. I don't know if AZ has a similar OTS type of incentive.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Saw 8 swat guys eating lunch the other day. I had no idea Havasu even had a swat team. What do they do all day? Warrants? Is there that many in this town??

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I've been out in Havasu 5 of the last 7 weekends. I actually drive relatively close to the speed limit around town without even thinking about it.

I guess everything in Havasu feels closer than trying to drive around SoCal.

But I know if you're a local, going to Home Depot feels like driving to downtown LA for SoCal people 😂

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've been out in Havasu 5 of the last 7 weekends. I actually drive relatively close to the speed limit around town without even thinking about it.

I guess everything in Havasu feels closer than trying to drive around SoCal.

But I know if you're a local, going to Home Depot feels like driving to downtown LA for SoCal people 😂

When I first moved here I told my neighbors I was going to Home Depot.. they all looked at me 😳

I laughed..

Someone the other day said they were gonna pop over to Home Depot..

I looked at them like 😳

Lol

Sandlord

Reaction score
Much of the funding for extra enforcement and checkpoints comes from state grants.
find out who is applying for the grants and vote them out.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
glad to hear it! the amount of shitty driving that goes on in town is insane. people constantly hauling ass thru neighborhoods, and doing 20 over on the 95 constantly.
Jamaica South speedway at 3am is getting a little old on the weekends..... I'd like to sit out at the end of my driveway with a pallet of bricks and solve that problem.... Doyle obviously doesn't see it as a priority, even after lots of calls from many neighbors... They must need another MRAP or some other unnecessary expense if they are out writing tickets 🤣

I've noticed a lot more cops on 95 on the weekends... DPS has been working the shit out of 60&72 that I take to Havasu.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score

I thought you were the "Mayor" . . . the unofficial one... but nevertheless. ;-)

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We live on the extreme south side of town. Next Feb will mark 10 yrs for us living here. I only have good things to say about Havasu PD. And I've never heard a bad word about them. Who knows? Like everything else, there's probably a couple out there.

It's been over 2 years since we've gone to Walmart. We seldom go to Lowe's or Home Depot. If the have it, we just go to Ace Hdw. Yesterday, when we returned from Las Vegas, we noticed Lowe's parking lot was nearly full. Is there something special going on? Although there are some S Birds in town now, wouldn't think they'd pack the place like that.

PaPaG

Reaction score
We live on the extreme south side of town. Next Feb will mark 10 yrs for us living here. I only have good things to say about Havasu PD. And I've never heard a bad word about them. Who knows? Like everything else, there's probably a couple out there.

It's been over 2 years since we've gone to Walmart. We seldom go to Lowe's or Home Depot. If the have it, we just go to Ace Hdw. Yesterday, when we returned from Las Vegas, we noticed Lowe's parking lot was nearly full. Is there something special going on? Although there are some S Birds in town now, wouldn't think they'd pack the place like that.
I think the weather cooling down may have many home owners wanting to start their cooler weather projects, at least for me that is the case.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Appliance sale this last weekend through I think the 28th.... Got a damn good deal on some stainless stuff for a flip. The Lowes in LHC is actually pretty good as far as service etc.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Saw 8 swat guys eating lunch the other day. I had no idea Havasu even had a swat team. What do they do all day? Warrants? Is there that many in this town??
SWAT isn't a full time gig, you usually train one day a week but you work a different detail (Job) the rest of the week and then you are called when needed.
Yeah, I have a buddy that is SWAT for Paso Robles PD. He does some special training frequently and is constantly on call for it. He also carries his swat bag with him most places (in the vehicle that is) since he lives in Heritage and its a 20 min drive to and from town. He's a regular patrol officer otherwise though.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
One thing that’s going on in Arizona is that the state is flooded with fentanyl that is coming in across the southern border. Every day I’m reading about huge numbers of pills being found during traffic stops. It was one I believe yesterday or today and a young girl had hundreds of thousands of fentanyl pills in her car. Most seem to be during routine traffic stops.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Only time i reply see them is on London Bridge Road. They had a speed trap set up a couple weeks ago in front of Blondzies. They did a DUI checkpoint last year on a Saturday night in front of sand/surf storage. People were getting lit up all night.
As they should!!!

77charger

Reaction score
I can't speak for AZ, but in CA, traffic citations actually cost the city money. Close to 90% of the generated fine goes to the state, and the city gets about 10%. With the amount of time to write and process the ticket, the city loses money. If the ticket is fought and the cop needs to go to court, I myself was paid time and a half for 4 hours, just to show up for 10 minutes and say what I saw.

Again, in CA, the California Office of Traffic Safety will provide big bucks in the form of a grant (usually $150k-$250k) to help pay overtime for DUI checkpoints, saturation patrol, speeding, school zone saturation, etc. I don't know if AZ has a similar OTS type of incentive.
Doesn’t the state of ca have a 170 percent penalty assessment on every citation fine?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I remember when I first started going to Havasu in the 80's they would park a empty cop car at both both ends of the city to get people to slow down. How things have changed. :p

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
In the desert off road areas you can tell when the local Depts Federal money arrived. Overtime time.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Doesn’t the state of ca have a 170 percent penalty assessment on every citation fine?
Google is your friend. Notice the words "State Legislature."

What is a Penalty Assessment? It is an amount added to the base bail and base fine amounts on infraction, misdemeanor and felony offenses. The current penalty assessment (effective July 01, 2020), is $27.00 for every $10.00 of the base amount or portion thereof as set forth by the California State Legislature.

EarpRider

Reaction score
I remember when I first started going to Havasu in the 80's they would park a empty cop car at both both ends of the city to get people to slow down. How things have changed. :p
That used to be "a thing" in a lot of cities.

TCHB

Reaction score

Showing everyone who is the boss!

Lumpy

Reaction score

Seriously,

You of all people know the town better than anyone.

RUN for Mayor Dave! If I lived there and I was you I'd run. You could change it, shape it and put it the way it should be.

I know its a lot but F em...a lot is wrong and a lot is right. You of all people right here right now could actually shape it the way it should be.

EarpRider

Reaction score
Soooo, are the people posting saying we don't want the police in Havasu enforcing the laws?

77charger

Reaction score
Google is your friend. Notice the words "State Legislature."

What is a Penalty Assessment? It is an amount added to the base bail and base fine amounts on infraction, misdemeanor and felony offenses. The current penalty assessment (effective July 01, 2020), is $27.00 for every $10.00 of the base amount or portion thereof as set forth by the California State Legislature.
Thanks but now 270 percent damn.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That used to be "a thing" in a lot of cities.
Parker used to put one along the 95 near the golf course.
Still see one now & then on 95 south end of Havasu between SARA park and McCulloch So.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Parker used to put one along the 95 near the golf course.
Still see one now & then on 95 south end of Havasu between SARA park and McCulloch So.
HPD still does this, but it’s not an unmanned car. It’s a great spot for their traffic units as they nab people hauling ass when the speed limit drops to 55 (city limits). I see them there almost nightly on my commute home.

Reactions: DWC

River Runnin

Reaction score
I started noticing right on the 1st! -- Official SnowBird Start! -- It's all about MAKING BANK!

rrrr

Reaction score
Apparently the LHC SWAT team actually has a purpose.

A helicopter identified the location of Branek and McGuire, and the Lake Havasu City Police Department SWAT team stormed into the desert after four hours of stalled negotiations. They found the couple dead.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Honestly people just drive like assholes. Plus probably the fentanyl. Brings more presence. The lake and the desert is going to be there when you arrive so why rush?

PaPaG

Reaction score
Soooo, are the people posting saying we don't want the police in Havasu enforcing the laws?
I hope not, never want Havi to turn into a ultra Mini Portland, Seattle, or worse a mini California where everyone complains about LEOs until they need them. I was driving through Havi on Monday and I saw a bunch of Hobbs signs almost made me throw up in my mouth a little. Told the wife you can thanks Cali for this....

ELCHINGONROGERS

Reaction score
glad to hear it! the amount of shitty driving that goes on in town is insane. people constantly hauling ass thru neighborhoods, and doing 20 over on the 95 constantly.
i agree when im on the 95 i usually do about 5 over or little more but when im driving and people or passing you doing 65 plus its crazy. There is no need to drive fast town is not that big

dspracing

Reaction score
I heard on the radio the other day that Havasu received additional police funding. These funds would be used to cover the overtime costs so they could have more officers focused on traffic patrol.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
It's definitely been happening for weeks now.
Friday before our wedding, I saw at least 6 Havasu PD between the LBR and the Red Onion. Angela, her mother and maid of honor were out shopping after breakfast and got stopped because she went straight when she was in a right turn lane. The officer questioned her up one side and down the other about why she was in town and who was with her. When he finally realized that she was telling him the truth he backed off and gave her a warning instead of a citation.

hallett21

Reaction score
It's definitely been happening for weeks now.
Friday before our wedding, I saw at least 6 Havasu PD between the LBR and the Red Onion. Angela, her mother and maid of honor were out shopping after breakfast and got stopped because she went straight when she was in a right turn lane. The officer questioned her up one side and down the other about why she was in town and who was with her. When he finally realized that she was telling him the truth he backed off and gave her a warning instead of a citation.
That leads me to believe they’re looking for something

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
That leads me to believe they’re looking for something
Same here. What was weird about it was that I only saw them stopping females... Behind the red onion when we left they had a girl stopped, by the time we got to the truck the officer stopped another one in the parking lot down the alley
🤔
It's definitely not like they are going after a vehicle description, Angela's jeep is pretty easy to spot...
PXL_20220516_214738110.jpg

Last edited: