WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What’s would be cheaper and easier.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Shopping for a new home. Just can’t find what I need within budget. Yes, at 2MM it would be no problem but at say $750k, it’s not so easy.
Notice I said need too. This is more than a want.

My current inventory of cars includes 4 classic cars ranging in age from 90yo to 25yo with a wish list to add more. Plus my daily drivers (3 more) boat and trailer.

So looking for a new home that has a pool and garage(s) is next to impossible. A lot of RV garages are even to small. It has come down to find a home with a pool and build what you want/need or find the home with the garages and build a pool.

Question is what is cheaper? Standard size pool with jacuzzi. Clean contemporary style couple of water features or 4 or 5 car across with height for lifts and bay for rv. Garage could have bathroom. But will be heated/cooled.

In Nevada if that makes a difference

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
1597889059687.jpeg

(NOT a criticism)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I would think a garage would be cheaper to construct than the pool, due to the more specialized trades involved...but never had the problem. Wife wants a pool, but it snows here. That, and I don't know how to build one :p

johnnyC

Reaction score
I was in the same situation couple of years ago, wanted a specific general area and looked at some houses they either had a pool in the wrong place so you couldn't build a shop or the pool was in the right place but no room for a shop. also the property sometimes was in lousy condition with weird floor plans, the houses that would have worked were on the market and sold a year or so previously to our looking. finaly one poped up with a empty back yard on an acre, and the fun begin put in a shop and pool .... still not done..... shure sucks up the funds big time! if you can find one with a pool you like and the room you can build a shop later and if you are handy you can finish the shop your self and save some money ... good luck

boatpi

Reaction score
New homes being built in southwest vegas on 1/2 acres With 50’ rv garages. Look at my old thread.

Reactions: DWC

Hypnautic

Reaction score
New homes being built in southwest vegas on 1/2 acres With 50’ rv garages. Look at my old thread.

Was leaning towards RV garage but only having an entrance out the front makes for moving things around. Now if the same RV garage was turned sideways and now you have 4-5 garage doors to access, that would be ideal. Turning that RV pad is going to take some land

Hypnautic

Reaction score
I was in the same situation couple of years ago, wanted a specific general area and looked at some houses they either had a pool in the wrong place so you couldn't build a shop or the pool was in the right place but no room for a shop. also the property sometimes was in lousy condition with weird floor plans, the houses that would have worked were on the market and sold a year or so previously to our looking. finaly one poped up with a empty back yard on an acre, and the fun begin put in a shop and pool .... still not done..... shure sucks up the funds big time! if you can find one with a pool you like and the room you can build a shop later and if you are handy you can finish the shop your self and save some money ... good luck

This is exactly what I’m finding too.
I don’t need or want a 4K sqft home-that’s what I’m leaving.
Large lots will either have homes taking up everything, placed odd on the lot so you can’t use the back half or these odd owner built POS that you just want to knock over.

Estimating about $60 a sqft to build a garage about right? Anyone with a real build est?

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Garages and add ons have gone up dramatically the last 5 years. Pool may be a more affordable option if your want list isn’t too large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
It depends... at my current house I built both an attached 16x60 18’ high pull through garage and also put in a pool with a complete back yard landscape, as the yard was all dirt when we bought it. Costs were nearly the same, but I did all of the electrical on both projects (including 2 sub panels) and did the demo, framing, partial drywall, plumbing, and stone work myself on the garage. If I were to do insulation, finish drywall and swamp coolers on garage, I’d be another 10-15K. But, we could have easily spent that much more on the back yard, and will when we do the outdoor kitchen area this winter. Moral is... it depends how big you want to go on each project.
Typically though, you won’t get your value back on a pool compared to a big RV garage, as pools do little for property value (in PHX). Your better off buying a house with a pool already in for cheap and then building a garage just how you want.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
If it were me I would find the land and build exactly what you want. House, pool and garage. This way you are not over paying for something you do not want/need.